Sponsored

Good tire shop, bad wheels (American Muscle)

jenksdrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
So, I bought 4 AMR Dark Stainless wheels, staggered set 20x10 and 20x8.5. All 4 arrived damaged so that batch went back. New batch arrives. Tolerable; they aren't perfect, but I'm so tired of sending back wheels and tires (went through *6* pre-mounted/balanced wheels with TireRack for the same reason, kept arriving damaged, tried to tell them...UPS hates delivering here anything over 10lbs...) - plus these are to be my all-season set and run them mostly Nov-Mar since I have to daily-drive my soon-to-be-built 2019.

So these are tolerable. I place the order for the tires (Nitto Motivo 295/30 and 255/35) through the local tire shop who did me right on my wife's Camry a few weeks back. They arrive. I drop off the wheels at lunch today, mention I'll come by tomorrow and pick them up. Call them as I get off work early to see if by chance they may already be done, but no biggie if not...they just mounted the 1st one, would have the rest done in probably 20m and I'm maybe 15m away - cool!

I get there, 4 guys standing around the wheel balancer and pointing at one of my wheels that's being balanced. Uh oh.

They tell me the wheel has a wobble and was just about to call me...tells me to stand 'here' and look at the outside edge when the balancer runs. Sure enough; it's got a solid 1/2" to 3/4" wobble to it. They checked the other 3 and one of the other wheels has a 'hop' to it; so this round I get 2 defective wheels. Yay.

I contact American Muscle, they want a shop report then 'they'll see what they can do to help me' - help me? They sent me wheels that aren't right. That's not 'helping' me. 'Helping' me would be shipping a replacement set TODAY, while I box this set up and ship them back at their expense.

Good tire shop, bad wheels, worse dealer.

Just a fair warning to anyone that wants to buy from American Muscle, especially their wheels, to have them checked to see if they are actually round and square (at the same time!), and expect difficulty.

More to come, tire shop is open tomorrow and I'll have to get a print of the shop report, scan it, email it to American Muscle, and see how they can 'help' me.

Anything short of replacement with legit wheels will be a credit card dispute, BBB report and me going around everywhere blowing my horn about how one should NOT buy from them.
:paddle:
Sponsored

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
You have plenty of time to wait for your 2019 . So apply that patience with A.M. and work with them to get your issues resolved to your satisfaction . Those dark stainless are pretty cool looking cheap wheels . I am sure the rep . Here will be contacting you promptly .

OP
OP

jenksdrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Blend date is Tuesday, so not that long of a wait, considering the issues I've had so far with getting an alternate set of wheels and tires and that I started the week after I ordered it in April; I don't have as much time as I'd like.

Takes time to process returns, receive replacements, etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP

jenksdrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Looks like they'll process the return as expected; only thing is the timing is such that I will be out of town (likely) when the replacements are to arrive; so I'm delaying the ship-date for the defective ones until after I am back July 4.

Sponsored

ShadowS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Performance Package
I had the same experience with American Muscle (returned wheels about 4 times due to damage). Finally gave up and got a set of wheels with tires mounted / TPMS sensors that didn't even need a syncing device from Paul@PKAutoDesign. Packaging was superior to what American Muscle doing which protected the wheels all the way from the West coast to the East coast. And balanced perfectly.

One thing I will say about American Muscle is they have great customer service which allowed me to return wheels easily. Their warehouse / fulfillment department just needs some major quality assurance when it comes to wheels.

Powderd Toast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
17 Platinum White GT
Exactly what ShadowS550 said. Just go with Paul@PKAutoDesign. That dude and his shop knows their stuff and will take care of you for sure.

essque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I had the charcoal AMR 20's on my '11 and the color was off on the fronts. They made it right and were quick to send replacements. I would speak with someone else there immediately. Thought AM had a good rep but lets be real they are cheap knock offs puchased in bulk from China with questionable quality control. Paul and Carlos MRR really opened my eyes for custom rims, fitment and service on these Mustangs. its just a completely different level and their expertise provides so much peace of mind. The extra cost is worth it and I'm glad I switched. Going on 3 years with these fs01's and the finish is still glorious. Good luck bro and don't take any shit, AM can easily afford to fix the situation.
Sponsored