Sponsored

Car meets rock on freeway - Steeda jacking rails save the day

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
Was driving to work and a 4 inch (ish) rock fell from a truck ahead of me @70mph. Idiots didnt bother to pull a tarp over the gravel truck.

The rock was bouncing along the freeway moving right from the center of the middle lane I was on. I tried to dodge it but it was too late, there was a sickening single crunch sound and I see the rock split behind me in the rear view mirror.

Get to work, look under the car (to the best of my abilities using my phone flash light) and I (think) I see the part where it hit the car and split (it also corresponds with the area I heard the sound come from!).

Turns out it went diagonally under center of the front splitter (where it entered without contacting anything) straight towards the pinch weld on the passenger side. On it bounce up it hits the Steeda ultralite rail, slightly scuffs the hammertone finish and cracks in two. The rail is 99% perfect and not even dented. The split rock then slightly scratches the underside of my rocker panel (very minor). If the rail was not there this would have likely hit the pinch weld hard and caused some damage.

I'm a happy camper today. It's always nice when a product performs more than its intended function. Perhaps this is another reason to get BMR's CB006 chassis brace!

:headbonk:

P.S - I'll need to put it on a lift to confirm in a couple of weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Sponsored

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
Was driving to work and a 4 inch (ish) rock fell from a truck ahead of me @70mph. Idiots didnt bother to pull a tarp over the gravel truck.

The rock was bouncing along the freeway moving right from the center of the middle lane I was on. I tried to dodge it but it was too late, there was a sickening single crunch sound and I see the rock split behind me in the rear view mirror.

Get to work, look under the car (to the best of my abilities using my phone flash light) and I (think) I see the part where it hit the car and split (it also corresponds with the area I heard the sound come from!).

Turns out it went diagonally under center of the front splitter (where it entered without contacting anything) straight towards the pinch weld on the passenger side. On it bounce up it hits the Steeda ultralite rail, slightly scuffs the hammertone finish and cracks in two. The rail is 99% perfect and not even dented. The split rock then slightly scratches the underside of my rocker panel (very minor). If the rail was not there this would have likely hit the pinch weld hard and caused some damage.

I'm a happy camper today. It's always nice when a product performs more than its intended function. Perhaps this is another reason to get BMR's CB006 chassis brace!

:headbonk:

P.S - I'll need to put it on a lift to confirm in a couple of weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed.
good luck hope you find no damage. Jacking rails were the first mod I did on my Mustang.

5.0-50A

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Anniversary WW STICK
installing rails tomorrow!!! crossing fingers for you no other damage under your car!

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I had a 4" rock come through the windshield of a rental on my way to return it at the airport, once. It bounced off of the hood of the car first, naturally causing a huge dent. Thankfully it was a business trip and my company paid for the damages, not me. :)

I scrape my jacking rails from front to back going into my parking garage as it dips quickly downward. I have the original Steeda rails that hang lower. I use them as scrape bars. No significant damage other than scratching, of course. :)

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
This is good advertising for Steeda's Jacking Rails! :lol:

Glad you are okay and the car is too!

OP
OP
valentinoamoro

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
Hopefully nothing major, keep us posted. Built FORD TOUGH
Built STEEDA tough. LOL

This is good advertising for Steeda's Jacking Rails! :lol:

Glad you are okay and the car is too!
I thought of another use of these rails. They may help with preventing damage from bottom scraping by taking hits on ramps (ex: hotel lobbies) where the break over angle is high.

The long wheel base of the Stang and the fact that many of us lower these cars increases the risk of bottoming out the undercarriage.

Last edited:
OP
OP
valentinoamoro

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
^ Exactly what mine are for. Don't need help jacking the car up.
Yeah. I missed your post initially where you said it does that. The lower profile ones will stop metal/frame damage but they wont protect the plastic rocker as they are basically the same level as the rockers (the regulars stick down even more). I'm also not sure if the originals are longer.

I thought Steeda discontinued the regular heavier rails.
Sponsored