Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
With all this talk of the 2015 Mustang getting at least EcoBoost 4 cylinder turbo engine, thought this might be helpful for any readers not familiar with the past and current EcoBoost turbo engines:

To most people, engine families sound like funny names created with no particular reason, but they actually speak volumes about what sort of performance they can expect from each and every model they buy from a famous carmaker. Volkswagen has TSI, Citroen has VTi and Ford, well, they now have EcoBoost.

Thanks to the success of its turbocharged engine family, “EcoBoost” is as much a household name as Topaware, Pringles and the Harlem Shake, but it’s one of the newest engine families out there.

So what is EcoBoost? This is the name given by Ford Motor Company, co-developed with FEV engineering and in production since 2009. But before we can tell you the technology that make an EcoBoost engine, we must first look into its history and what customer demands lead to its creation.

Give that everybody uses turbocharges now, you’d think this was commonplace, but for Ford it was a leap of faith. Most of its customers actually valued reliability and simplicity over increased economy. However, FoMoCo saw this was the way of the future and invested heavily, resulting in a total of 125 patents for the technologies that go into an EcoBoost engine.

Ford EcoBoost engines are designed to deliver power and torque consistent with larger engine displacement, naturally aspirated engines while also lowering fuel consumption by 20% percent if not more. The company even goes as far as to say its 1-liter engine is as good as any equivalent diesel.

The EcoBoost engine family was launched in 2009. V6 turbo engines stated being assembled at the Cleveland Engine Plant No. 1 in Brook Park, Ohio, and introduced to various SUV and pickup models. Meanwhile, the European debut of the EcoBoost family came at the e 2009 Frankfurt Motor Show.

Ford already had some of the most reliable small engines on sale in Europe and the US, natural stating points for the turbocharged versions. Adding to its Duratech technology, EcoBoost engines come with DOHC valvetrain, Direct Acting Mechanical Buckets, VVT, direct injection system and Bosch management systems with individual knock control. Something we like about turbo engines is that while Mazda is using very high compression rations, all EcoBoost motors use just 10:1 ratios. V6 motors sold in America use Honeywell turbos, while the smaller three- and four-cylinder units in Europe use Borg Warner low inertia integrated turbo systems.

Ford has always liked keeping it simple, so in fact there are only three types and four displacements of EcoBoost engine. So, without further ado, here they are:

1.0 Lliter EcoBoost Three-Cylinder

engine comparison.jpg

The smallest and by far the most revolutionary engine of the EcoBoost family is the 1.0-liter three-cylinder. The engine was developed by Ford’s Dunton Technical Center in the UK. Bench testing was very rigorous, pushing over 100,000 million on the bench and a few million miles in various prototypes.

Ford says this engine block is no bigger than a sheet of A4 paper, and while that might sound like a marketing scheme, the fact that the three-cylinder EcoBoost engine only weighs 97 kg (213 lbs) is very impressive.

Of the family, this is the only engine that makes do with a cast iron block. This makes it about 20% heavier than what it could have been if it was made from aluminum but ensures it warms up much faster, essential for the efficiency of the unit.

Initially, the 1.0-liter EcoBoost engine was heralded as an replacement to 1.4 and 1.6-liter engines but it is actually an alternative offered alongside its naturally aspirated cousins. There are two power versions, making either 100 PS or 120/125 PS. On the Fiesta Facelift, this three-cylinder engine is also offered as a non-turbo “Ti-VCT” units making 80 PS.

1.0 EcoBoost engines are assembled both in Cologne, Germany and Craiova, Romania. After Ford’s expansion into the Chinese market, it will also be available there. Ford’s American PR people have mentioned it being used in the yet-to-be-launched 2014 Fiesta, though we’ve yet to be assembled in North America. The engine is used offed with the Focus, Fiesta, new B-MAX B-segment van and C-MAX. It will also likely be available with the Transit Connect next year.

We think the 100 PS engine is a bit overpowered for a normal supermini like the Fiesta, so the most impressive applications are in the Focus hatchback.

EcoBoost Four-Cylinder Engines

2013 ford fusion engine bay.jpg

Ford has two EcoBoost L4 units, the 1.6-liter and bigger 2.0-liter. The smaller of the two replaced Ford’s 2.0-liter Duratec for cars like the Focus, while the other replaces smaller V6 engines. Since 2010, they’ve also been used by a number of Volvo sedans.

The 1.6-liter EcoBoost actually displaces 1.597cc. It usually makes 150 PS thanks to direct injection and a Borg Warner KP39 low inertia turbo, cast iron with 47mm-diameter crankpins, eight counterweights, five 52mm-diameter main bearings and damped front pulley and seven-hole high pressure injectors from Bosh. It makes 160 PS and 270 Nm at 1,600rpm for the 2010-present Mondeo and S-MAX.

The 180 PS high performance version is used by the European Fiesta ST, as well as the Kuga/Escape SUV and 2013 Fusion Sedan. The most extreme road application is in the 197 hp (200 PS) 2014 Fiesta ST for the American market.

Ford’s other four-cylinder EcoBoost is the 2.0-liter. This makes up to 252 hp (255 PS though Euro model is rated at 250 PS) in the Focus ST hot hatch and is used in anything from the Galaxy minivan to Lincoln models.

[The 2015 Mustang is currently rumored to be coming with a model which will be powered by a 2.3L EcoBoost 4 Cylinder Turbo producing approximately 300HP]

3.5-L EcoBoost V6

2015 Mustang vs 2013 Fusion engine bay.jpg

Weighing in at 450 lbs (203 kg), the V6 EcoBoost is the daddy of power and performance. It displaces 3,496cc, has a 60 degree layout, a 92.5mm bore and a 86.7 mm stroke. It uses two Honeywell-Garrett GT15 and replaces small-block V8 like a charm. The first time it was previewed was a Lincoln MKR concept where it was rated at 415 hp.

It’s power output is either 355 hp (265 kW) in the case of models like the Lincoln MKS, MKT and Ford Fusion or 265 hp (272 kW) offered by two performance models with tweaked exhausts, the 2013 Ford Explorer Sport and the 2013 Ford Taurus SHO. All these cars have the same torque levels, 350 lb-ft (475 Nm) available at 5000 rpm, though the Ford F-150 pickup gets 420 lb-ft (569 Nm) which is available from just 2500 rpm.

The Future of EcoBoost

Ford is going to continue focusing on turbo technology into the future, so we can expect it to become as common as TFSI is for Audi. The 1.0-liter unit will likely grow into a 1.5-liter for the Brazilian and Indian markets. The 2.0-liter EcoBoost will also be transformed into the all-important 2.3-liter 300 hp unit to be offered with the Ford Mustang and Focus RS. The torque and economy of the 3.5 L EcoBoost V6 will ensure it will continue to be used in pickups and SUVs for the foreseeable future.

Courtesy of Autoevolution.com
ford-ecoboost-turbo-engines-explained-56142_2.jpg
ford-ecoboost-turbo-engines-explained-56142_3.jpg
ford-ecoboost-turbo-engines-explained-56142_4.jpg
Sponsored

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
300hp or greater Turbo 4s will be a game changer more & more... the aftermarket tuners will love it too. Ideally 4/6/8 cyl options would be nice, or at least Turbo-4 and V8 options.

Harrison

Threads
Reaction score
300hp or greater Turbo 4s will be a game changer more & more... the aftermarket tuners will love it too. Ideally 4/6/8 cyl options would be nice, or at least Turbo-4 and V8 options.
+1 this totally opens up a whole new world of tuning for the Mustang. I hope that R&T is right (and not Edmunds). I'd love to see the turbo 4 model in the US.

Give us (U.S.) all 3 engine options Ford!

Harrison

Threads
Reaction score
Great primer on EcoBoost btw! :cool:

Krishna

It's interesting to see so much heated debate online about the rumors of the turbo 4 in the next Mustang. Besides being an ego thing, seems to also be lots of disagreement over the performance and fuel economy of these smaller engines.

For ex, Consumer Reports wrote something recently:

Specifically, CR calls out the new Ford Fusion equipped with the automaker's Ecoboost 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine. The institute's researchers found the engine, which is a $795 option over the base 2.5-liter four-cylinder, fails to match competitors in acceleration and served up 25 miles per gallon in testing, putting the sedan dead last among other midsize options.

The Chevrolet Cruze, Hyundai Sonata Turbo and Ford Escape 2.0T all got dinged for the same troubles, though Consumer Reports has found the turbo 2.0-liter four-cylinder in the BMW 328i does deliver on its promises.
Granted, they are talking about forced induction turbos here. Hope the rumored 2.3L EB4 can match the 2.0 of hte 328i. As long as they keep the v6/v8 here I dont see the harm in having more options.

By the way, anyone know the weight of the 2.0L Ecoboost 4-cyl? Curious how it matches up to the N/A v6.

Sponsored

OKCfan

Great primer JStang.

The aftermarket for the turbo 4 Mustang is going to be great. 300+hp is a no brainer. Has anyone else seen this? The 2.0 Focus ST hot hatch on steroids.. tuned to 367hp!!
Based on that, a 2.3L EB4 would have sick potential! Still can't understand why they never bring the Focus ST here. I know it's a hatch and all, but i'm convinced it would sell! Why do Americans hate hatches so much anyway :crazy::doh:

JackHoya

Based on that, a 2.3L EB4 would have sick potential! Still can't understand why they never bring the Focus ST here.
The Focus ST is sold here, but the prob is that Ford still can't seem to get its act together in getting us similarly spec'ed versions that are offered in Europe first.... prime example -- the (unofficial) 350hp Focus RS is expected to be available only in Europe when it comes out later this year.

I know it's a hatch and all, but i'm convinced it would sell! Why do Americans hate hatches so much anyway :crazy::doh:
Actually hatchbacks are doing fine here I think. Ford even issued a press release about this a few yrs back.. half the models sold for Fiesta and Focus were hatches.

http://www.themustangnews.com/content/2011/07/ford-amaze-that-americans-like-hatchbacks-really/

KZStang

Anyone doubting the potential of these engines need only look at what Wolf was able to do with the ST. And Block's World Rally Car? 2.0L EB4 capable of 600+ and 665 lb-ft torque. His team even said they can configure it to be street-legal.

Imagine what you could do with a smaller, lighter (than current, not than his Fiesta obviously) 2.3 if we see it in the new Stang.

Ricky35

Anyone doubting the potential of these engines need only look at what Wolf was able to do with the ST. And Block's World Rally Car? 2.0L EB4 capable of 600+ and 665 lb-ft torque. His team even said they can configure it to be street-legal.

Imagine what you could do with a smaller, lighter (than current, not than his Fiesta obviously) 2.3 if we see it in the new Stang.
Yea but how modified is that engine in his Fiesta? In any case, those are crazy numbers to squeeze out of the stock block. :eyebulge:

Sponsored

Krishna

The Focus ST is sold here, but the prob is that Ford still can't seem to get its act together in getting us similarly spec'ed versions that are offered in Europe first.... prime example -- the (unofficial) 350hp Focus RS is expected to be available only in Europe when it comes out later this year.
http://www.themustangnews.com/content/2011/07/ford-amaze-that-americans-like-hatchbacks-really/
It makes perfect sense since hatches are still way more popular in Europe. Still a niche market here iand since the Stang will be niche overseas, we'll probably see the opposite happen (we better) with Europe rolling out new versions of the Mustang after the U.S. if there is any time lag at all.

I was sad to see the hatch option disappear after the Fox but they just weren't selling enough of them. Would be awesome to see them bring back the hatchback look of the Mustang II.

Back OT... maybe we'll see EB4 fitted in a hatchback, how about like the limited edition 20th anniv hatches they offered in oxford white and 2.3L turbo?

hawkeye

Back OT... maybe we'll see EB4 fitted in a hatchback
They will, but it's called the Fusion RS. It'll be interesting if it comes to the U.S., how Ford is going to position these cars. An RS with close to 350hp will be more powerful than the base v6 Stang and probably not be far off price wise.

NRMStand

Completely different markets for Ford though. I don't think they're too worried about cannibalization or anything like that. The RS is AWD & rally inspired. The EB4 is a natural fit in the Fusion RS.. definitely more of a leap of imagination for a traditional muscle car like the Stang.

Anywho, I second the call for a return of the 3-door hatchback Stang.

OKCfan

Completely different markets for Ford though. I don't think they're too worried about cannibalization or anything like that. The RS is AWD & rally inspired. The EB4 is a natural fit in the Fusion RS.. definitely more of a leap of imagination for a traditional muscle car like the Stang.

Anywho, I second the call for a return of the 3-door hatchback Stang.
Americans hate 3 door hatchbacks generally, but not me :) Still, a hatchback Mustang is kinda weird. It's better suitted on smaller cars like the Focus and Fiesta IMO

KZStang

Completely different markets for Ford though. I don't think they're too worried about cannibalization or anything like that.
Apaprently they've done focus groups on this (altho I could've told you this) that show they wont cannibalize each other despite similar power offerings. 2 very distinct group of fans for each.

Americans hate 3 door hatchbacks generally, but not me :) Still, a hatchback Mustang is kinda weird. It's better suitted on smaller cars like the Focus and Fiesta IMO
Hmm, why not? Hatchbacks were part of the line up through the Fox body. Maybe with the beefed up current looks it may look weird, but I'm sure they can slim it down and make it look right.
Sponsored