Broken Crankshafts? Really?

svt93style

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Slow
I spoke to a vendor today about boosting the GT350 and received an interesting response. Not only did he advise against adding any type of power adder he stated that "there have been many broken cranks out there with stock power and just bolt ons tuned"

I have not heard of a single case of this and wanted to see if anyone has.
In fact, in all my days I have never seen a broken crank shaft. I have seen plenty of spun bearings, broken or bent rods, blown head gaskets etc, toasted pistons but never a crank failure.

Thanks
Sponsored

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
There have been rumors of this but I haven't seen a single instance. There are a couple Voodoos running 1000+ to the wheels and no issues with the cranks (very low miles at that power level so far though). There are quite a few SC'd Voodoos with Whipples and Vortechs. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I haven't seen any actual crank failures.

OP
OP
svt93style

svt93style

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Slow
There have been rumors of this but I haven't seen a single instance. There are a couple Voodoos running 1000+ to the wheels and no issues with the cranks (very low miles at that power level so far though). There are quite a few SC'd Voodoos with Whipples and Vortechs. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I haven't seen any actual crank failures.
He mentioned these cars to me as well and had a point. You only see the build thread and the initial youtube videos and then you never hear or see the cars again. Im not saying that is the case always but I have noticed this trend.

I see the guys at MMR are offering a built 5.2 with a flat plane crank, I might reach out to them in do time and see what they say. There name is gold in my parts.

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
True, I think we'll hear more within the next year since there seems to be more and more people going FI. I think one of the Fat House Fab builds is going to be tracking theirs soon so that'll be fun to hear about. I know someone that's been putting down 800+whp on his Whipple for over a year too. I'm not too worried about the cranks. I'm worried about everything else and I want to keep my car as long as possible so no FI for me but it's fun to see everyone else's builds.

Sponsored

Brostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT-350 Oxford & LB
The reports are nonexistent. However, builds are usually showcased for a headline and then tucked away as stated. Anyone know what happened to the Lethal Whipple GT350? Another thread there was back and forth about why they were selling and not running/testing it. One guy claimed to have knowledge of Lethal's reason for sale but didn't want to say. Seems fishy. One build had whipple in the thread saying vibration testing was done and it was good, but it was a fully built motor. To cap it off, the whipple warranty doesnt cover a GT350.

So there may not be any reports of broken cranks, but there isn't a lot of confidence inspiring data for stock motor boost.

OP
OP
svt93style

svt93style

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Slow
True, I think we'll hear more within the next year since there seems to be more and more people going FI. I think one of the Fat House Fab builds is going to be tracking theirs soon so that'll be fun to hear about. I know someone that's been putting down 800+whp on his Whipple for over a year too. I'm not too worried about the cranks. I'm worried about everything else and I want to keep my car as long as possible so no FI for me but it's fun to see everyone else's builds.
I get it but each piece seems to be forged, crank, pistons, and rods.
I've heard rumor the block is weak compared to the standard coyote, believe it was the water jacket design. Who knows. The MMR built short block has caught my eye, I'd like to see the results they are getting. I guess time will tell.

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
This is all speculation and 3rd party heresay, discussions like this one only promote the rumors with no actual data. That doesn't mean there have not been any crankshaft failures, anything is possible and every component has its limits, but in this environment one failure can be percieved as many.

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
There are several respected tuners that have each tuned several gt350s and a ton of owners out there racing the cars. Zero crank issues.

Spun bearings, opg, cs, and general lubrication failures are all I have seen outside of one bad tune that melted a piston, and 2 cracked blocks where the AC mounts.

Sponsored

Bender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 LB GT350R HR909, 22 AB GT500 CFTP
First I have heard of that on a VooDoo

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
Internet trolls would come out of the woodwork if there was a broken crank. I agree if there had been a broken crank the world would have known by now.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
So I actually have to eat some crow on this topic too. Apparently Ford DID do FI testing on the Voodoo and they did snap some cranks but early in development and they were running it through their entire torture and durability testing and HIGH boost (for a V8 anyway). But the final build of the crank, which I'm sure is stronger than the alpha and beta builds, I honestly think can take way more than these "experts" on the web think. Just because it's 180 journals doesn't mean it isn't durable. Ferrari and McLaren both FI their phlat playn krankz...

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
NDA's are a bitch..

Kidding...but..eh
Sponsored