Sponsored

Ford Power Pack Resale

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I did some searching, but wasn't able to come up with an answer on this.

Is it possible to unmarry the Pro-Cal tuning software used for PP1/2/3, so that the kit can be sold to someone with another vehicle? I know that the X-cal can be unmarried up to five times, or something like that, and assume the nGauge can, as well.

Ford's customer service told me that it's VIN locked, but I wouldn't doubt that their keyboard jockey had no idea what he/she was talking about.

Has anyone sold their PP2, or conversely, bought one and re-used it on another vehicle?

JR
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Tune will only work on one car. You can re-use the device if they unlock it.

All hard parts obviously will transfer over, but whomever buys the parts needs to buy a tune and if it's not from Ford Performance, they'll need to pay for an nGauge or SCT device in order to get the tune onto their vehicle.

OP
OP
jacknifetoaswan

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And that's why the seller is dumping the parts for the value of the CAI and TB.

Thanks!

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
When I bought a ProCal for my '09, it came with a memory card I had to insert into the tool before using it, it's actually just that memory card that's programmed to a specific VIN, not the ProCal tool itself. Later on I asked Ford tech if I could use my ProCal on the '11 I traded that car in on, they told me it would work but I'd have to buy a new memory card matched to the new car.

Theoretically, you could use the ProCal on several different cars as long as you have a different flash card for each car. I never tried it myself, I'm just passing on what Ford tech told me and I also have no idea if the new ProCal tool works the same way (using the removable flash card to store the VIN and tune) as what I bought years ago for my '09.

As stated already, and to your question specifically, the PP2 software is for 1 VIN only, so no you can not unmarry it to program a different car, however it might be possible to buy just a new memory card programmed for another VIN for much less than a complete new ProCal tool or any other tuning device. When I asked about that years ago the price was $125,

white15gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White 2015 GT
I did some searching, but wasn't able to come up with an answer on this.

Is it possible to unmarry the Pro-Cal tuning software used for PP1/2/3, so that the kit can be sold to someone with another vehicle? I know that the X-cal can be unmarried up to five times, or something like that, and assume the nGauge can, as well.

Ford's customer service told me that it's VIN locked, but I wouldn't doubt that their keyboard jockey had no idea what he/she was talking about.

Has anyone sold their PP2, or conversely, bought one and re-used it on another vehicle?

JR
Ford told you it's locked, and you still are questioning it?

Procal 2 could in theory be re-used, but you needed to buy a new SD card, or have another vehicle that had the exact same PCM part number.

Procal 3 is a totally different system, and yes, it is locked to the VIN.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jacknifetoaswan

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford told you it's locked, and you still are questioning it?

Procal 2 could in theory be re-used, but you needed to buy a new SD card, or have another vehicle that had the exact same PCM part number.

Procal 3 is a totally different system, and yes, it is locked to the VIN.
A lackey on their website that was answering questions gave me this information, and I wanted to see if anyone had specific information otherwise.

In any case, thanks for the information. I wanted to check on this before I dropped $400.

JR

white15gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White 2015 GT
A lackey on their website that was answering questions gave me this information, and I wanted to see if anyone had specific information otherwise.

In any case, thanks for the information. I wanted to check on this before I dropped $400.

JR
Lol, you know that the people you talked to are the tech line guys right? Their entire job is to know the ins and outs of all the parts, and how they work, plus being able to diagnose issues. I wouldn't really say they are "lackeys." Those guys are super knowledgeable and have helped me out a ton in the past.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
The people that answer questions on Ford Performance's website (i.e., respond to you via email) are not really some random customer service person. Ford Performance is a pretty small entity - it's not Ford Motor Company.

OP
OP
jacknifetoaswan

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's great to hear, and perhaps my expectations were too low. I'm just used to most CSRs being completely unknowledgeable, unless it's a very specialized organization. Glad to hear that they know what they're talking about, though!

JR
Sponsored