Sponsored

The "Golden Age" of car forums...LOL

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Just to be clear - I'm in my 40's, so I've been messing with cars for more than 25 years. I remember very clearly when there was no internet and buying car magazines so you could see the newest parts in the ads was a thing. Trial and error was huge. You learned things the hard way.

Then came the internet. For the most part the forums that sprang up for car enthusiasts I thought were pretty damn great. People pooling their knowledge, learning new things -no reason to reinvent the wheel if it had already been done etc.

Now it seems Facebook is becoming the new 'medium' - and it sucks. I thought people asking the same question over and over in forums was bad - it's not compared to Facebook. Not to mention someone will ask a question, and someone will give a detailed answer - and that person will respond with "can't read all that - and ask the question again"- or ask a question that was already DIRECTLY answered in the "long" facebook post.

Maybe it's just me.
Sponsored

Olivas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ernest
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT w/PP
Yeah I still prefer the forums myself as well, but I'm also pushing 40. IMO forums are easier to browser and search.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I left most Mustang-related Facebook groups based upon the misinformation and idiocy that they were filled with. And when I corrected folks (look I'm not the world's foremost expert, but I wasn't wrong) there'd be hard parking chest puffers attacking me. Nah...

carcinoid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (sold)
I'm only 32 and the best decision I made was about a year ago when I ditched all social media. I'm much happier now and will never go back.

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I think they're all blind to anything they don't post themselves and even then they must not be able to see the comments...

I keep seeing people ask about what wheels are available then a few hours later someone else does the same thing...how about you scroll down two posts and see what everyone else already put?

carcinoid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (sold)
(This is social media.)
And if anyone wants to know why I don't do Facebook/Intragram/Pinterest/Snapchat/Etc... it's bitchy comments like this. Thank you for patrolling the forums and correcting me. What WOULD I do without you to set me right :hail:

danpass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST Triple Yellow
How anyone can really follow, must less find again, a facebook thread is the main reason I don't partake lol.

_

Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I've always been a big fan of forums (of all kinds). Facebook is a horrible platform to accomplish the same goal as a forum.

H@mmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/ Too Many Mods
I hate Facebook in general. Let alone when it comes to using it for constructive learning.
I like forums.
Forums were better 10 years ago, though, because it was more technical and less social, but they're still miles better than Facebook.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'm only 32 and the best decision I made was about a year ago when I ditched all social media. I'm much happier now and will never go back.
I'm 70 and my wife is a couple of years younger.

The best decision we've made with respect to Facebook/Intragram/Pinterest/Snapchat/Etc., was to not join them in the first place. Even the thousand-member neighborhood-based "Nextdoor xxx" is 99.99% a waste of time.

Any "golden age" of car forums might have been between ten and twenty years ago. Some of the forums that were really busy back then are on life support now. Even this forum isn't as busy today as Mustangforums was in its heyday.

Norm

carcinoid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (sold)
Even the thousand-member neighborhood-based "Nextdoor xxx" is 99.99% a waste of time.

Norm
I don’t even know what that is. I feel like I should label this post with some of snappy phrase with a pound sign in front of it that appeals to the kids, so.....
*insert youth-savvy sass here*

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I don’t even know what that is.
Consider yourself lucky, then. Think in terms of FB scaled down to one-millionth size, with emphasis on whining (such as about other peoples' dogs) and asking stupid pointless questions (did your power just go out?). I'm not making either of those up.

Norm
Sponsored