Sponsored

Ford Racing ProCal Tune

krack999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
So question. The computer my original factory tune on had issues and was turned in (was a work computer). So I no longer have the file. I am SOL if I ever want to go back to factory? Can Ford flash it back to factory?
Contact Ford Racing direct about it. That's what they told me if I lost my file.
Sponsored

16RubyRed

S550Turbo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang Ecoboost
Your plugs are likely not a huge contributor, but I would definitely go back to a stock heat range gapped at .028. Colder plugs are definitely not necessary at stock or FP power levels.
Thanks for the info, last night on the way home from work I did a few more 0-60's this time using my left foot to simulate launch control I got a 6.0 & 6.1 second time which is much better. I also verified the gap setting of .028 and reinstalled the OE plugs after re-flashing the PCM.

Looking back through the threads I seen info about upgrading the rear axle gear ratio per "The Lion". That got me thinking about what the default stock gear ratio of the FP tune is, so I chatted with FP and per Max "It should default to 3.55" and anything other than that has to be set under the config tab. Looking at the window sticker I found that under optional equipment Ford was kind enough to provide the "3.15 Ratio Limited Slip Axle" at no charge :ford::paddle:.

Hooked up the computer and module and under ProCal3 config tab the ratio was set at 2.70 and tire setting 730. I re-downloaded the Cal file and flashed the PCM then went to the config tab to enter the correct values and now after the flash it was set at 3.15 and 771 which is correct for my vehicle. I think it was already set and for some reason was not showing correctly the first 3 times I loaded ProCal.

After the programming was finished I took her out and did the 55 to 75 MPH pulls in 3rd gear as recommended by FP. The car is shifting smoother and I am already noticing it pulls better from the line. I am going to have to be careful with that 3.15 gear ratio its going to be like ludicrous mode during take off. :headbang:

articrandom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang
Thanks for the info, last night on the way home from work I did a few more 0-60's this time using my left foot to simulate launch control I got a 6.0 & 6.1 second time which is much better. I also verified the gap setting of .028 and reinstalled the OE plugs after re-flashing the PCM.

Looking back through the threads I seen info about upgrading the rear axle gear ratio per "The Lion". That got me thinking about what the default stock gear ratio of the FP tune is, so I chatted with FP and per Max "It should default to 3.55" and anything other than that has to be set under the config tab. Looking at the window sticker I found that under optional equipment Ford was kind enough to provide the "3.15 Ratio Limited Slip Axle" at no charge :ford::paddle:.

Hooked up the computer and module and under ProCal3 config tab the ratio was set at 2.70 and tire setting 730. I re-downloaded the Cal file and flashed the PCM then went to the config tab to enter the correct values and now after the flash it was set at 3.15 and 771 which is correct for my vehicle. I think it was already set and for some reason was not showing correctly the first 3 times I loaded ProCal.

After the programming was finished I took her out and did the 55 to 75 MPH pulls in 3rd gear as recommended by FP. The car is shifting smoother and I am already noticing it pulls better from the line. I am going to have to be careful with that 3.15 gear ratio its going to be like ludicrous mode during take off. :headbang:
I recently started doing 0-60s on my stock EB with winter tires and 32 degree weather and got 6.1 as my best one with an average of 6.5-6.6s.

I was honestly hoping for more... I am also really considering the FP tune but I am afraid that my engine will blow after the 3/36k warranty and the tune's warranty won't go past that as I am only 5 months away from my bumper to bumper warranty expiration date. I also know that my car was tuned before I bought it but so far it hasn't shown any signs of issues at all other than recalls. No AC problems, no engine issues, NOTHING.

16RubyRed

S550Turbo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang Ecoboost
I recently started doing 0-60s on my stock EB with winter tires and 32 degree weather and got 6.1 as my best one with an average of 6.5-6.6s.

I was honestly hoping for more... I am also really considering the FP tune but I am afraid that my engine will blow after the 3/36k warranty and the tune's warranty won't go past that as I am only 5 months away from my bumper to bumper warranty expiration date. I also know that my car was tuned before I bought it but so far it hasn't shown any signs of issues at all other than recalls. No AC problems, no engine issues, NOTHING.
Mine is a '16 base model ecoboost with a optional smaller gear ratio apparently for fuel economy which I am sure is a contributor to my 0-60 times. My average before the tune was 6.5 - 7.3 seconds. I have 26K miles on it now, not really worried about post 3/36K mile warranty as I am pretty sure the my dealer will deny warranty work even today just for the hell of it. The dealer is a real POS and lied about all kinds of crap on the vehicle this is absolutely the worst car purchase I've made.

So far I really do like the FP tune, the car feels like a different vehicle and I believe because it was developed by Ford Performance it is the safest route. As stated by so many this is the way the vehicle should have been delivered.

justme97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 LB Ecoboost 6mt pony pack vert, 06 EB Explorer
Does anyone have any insight or info as to when Ford will release a tune for the 2018’s?
Has anyone tried to get in touch with ford performance about when the '18 tune might be ready (if ever)? If not I may give em a call..

Sponsored

SoFloEco

5 Liters of Love!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2020 Grabber Lime HPP Ecoboost Mustang
Has anyone tried to get in touch with ford performance about when the '18 tune might be ready (if ever)? If not I may give em a call..
Chatted with a tech today. He told me 'this summer'. FWIW

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros

Should be interesting to see the figures, I doubt they will exceed the previous 335hp 390tq figures, since it looks like the safety net is pretty much capped on these.

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Maybe I missed it somewhere in the prior 2,000+ posts, but what is different about the '18s that negates being able to use the current FP tune that works for the '15-17's?

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
Maybe I missed it somewhere in the prior 2,000+ posts, but what is different about the '18s that negates being able to use the current FP tune that works for the '15-17's?
It is 2nd generation build, so there have been significant changes to the ECU and tuning strategy not sure what mechanical parts have also been changed on the engine and not to mention it has a completely new 10 speed transmission.

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
New to the Ecoboost world, having just picked up my 2018 last week. But I've noticed something a bit odd about the description of the Ford Performance Ecoboost tune. Ford indicates that the tune adds 100hp at 6K rpm, but peak hp is only increased by 25 at 5500 rpm, to 335hp. I assume this is all crank hp. I have seen several dyno charts for stock Ecoboost engines showing roughly 230 whp at 6K rpm, so lets do the math. Adjust that 100 hp @ 6K to whp = 85. Add that to the 230 = 315 whp. Addjust that back to crank = 370 hp. But peak is only supposed to be 335 @ 5500? For Fords description to make sense, the base engine would have to make less than 200 whp @ 6K. As described, it doesn't add up.

Obviously, if someone has a dyno chart showing the impact of ONLY the Ford Performance tune w/CAI, that would probably resolve this. However, it seems like the only dyno charts I can find, also include other mods such as larger intercoolers and/or down-pipes. If anyone has any info on just the Ford kit, I'd love to see it.

Thanks.

Sponsored

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
SVO - the turbo releases pressure at peak and the power drops like a rock at higher RPM. At 6K on stock tune, air box, and intercooler, you are lucky to get 200 HP from the crank. Ford's charts are also read less than Dynojets.

Read around Pg 115 and up and you will see some charts explaining why.

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK, I found this on Levittown Ford's website. This is really what I was looking for. This is crank hp, and it does show much less for the stock motor at 6K than what some other aftermaket dyno runs have shown, for stock.
M-9603-M4-1.jpg

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang Ecoboost premium
[MENTION=34124]SVO MkII[/MENTION] The Ford tune is not compatible with the 18 at the moment FYI. Not sure there are any tunes yet ready to go for the 18.

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=34124]SVO MkII[/MENTION] The Ford tune is not compatible with the 18 at the moment FYI. Not sure there are any tunes yet ready to go for the 18.
Yes, I'm aware of that. I was curious as to the precise impact of the Ford tune on the '15-'17s. I'm hoping the '18 tune is ready by this time next year.

Thanks.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Yes, I'm aware of that. I was curious as to the precise impact of the Ford tune on the '15-'17s. I'm hoping the '18 tune is ready by this time next year.

Thanks.
From what I can see, there's really not that much difference between a 15-17 model with a FP tune and a stock 18 model. I suspect Ford is using a slightly modified FP tune on the stock engines for the 18 models (which is probably the way the 15-17 models should have come from the factory). Given the many people that've been beta testing that tune for Ford, they should have plenty of operational data on how it works in the real world.

If that's the case I wouldn't expect to see much gain with an FP tune on an 18 model.
Sponsored