Sponsored

No substitute for the Mustang

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
We are coming up on our 3 year anniversary and with only 2 months left on the 3/36 we have been discussing trading in the Mustang for something, getting the extended warranty, or just rolling the dice and hope the Evaporator doesn't fail a second time.

I went to Carmax and got a buyout price for what I owe on the car. That is pretty impressive considering I put 0 down, financed 72 months at 0 percent in 2015 with an MSRP of 37k(paid 32k OTD), and recently had a 4k insurance claim for some under body damage after hitting some road debris. The Ford dealership came in slightly under what I owe but still less than 1k difference.

The Mustang has been mechanically perfect but has been to the dealership more times for other items like faulty AC (2 visits, 1 evap replacement), squealing PP brakes, door latch recall, and body panel alignment than 4 of our Hyundai's combined.

Fortunately, the Ford dealerships in my area are really good and the dealership experience has been excellent. Also, Ford dealerships are more conveniently located than most other brands. Benefits of living in Nascar country.

Honestly, If I could find a more well rounded, check all the boxes, dollar for dollar vehicle I would buy it in a second. The problem is there is nothing quite like the Mustang and the 2014/2015 being 50 anniversary year is a badge of honor that few cars will ever achieve and is appealing to my personally.

The Mustang is the best selling Sports coupe in the world and that speaks volumes for the design.

The 2.3 Turbo is one of the best and most powerful 4 cyl engines on the market and has the HP/TRQ to compete with zee best 4 cyl Turbos coming out of Stuttgart. The 2.3 gives the Mustang a Sports car experience in a Muscle car body that is practical, affordable and efficient.

While I have not cemented my decision to stick with the Mustang I just can't seem to find anything to fill the shoes of our current Mustang.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
It is a great value although that's now being eroded with the 2018 prices going up to insane #'s.

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver '18 GT 400a PP1
Extended warranty might be best option especially as you've already had AC issues

That was actually the driving factor for me to get an ext warranty.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase

mu5tang2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB 3.7L
The extended warranty I was quoted from Ford was like 1200$ to go to 75K. The power train is already 6/60... honestly what is gonna go wrong in 30-35K miles thats going o cost much more then 1200$? and most of us turn our own wrenches... so unless it's a main CPU/ECU, not much should cost you that much, out side power train and that is covered till 60K. and i have geico insurance when i bought it and they extend the power train under their policy till 7/70. i'm a gambler... i'd gamble and save 1200$ in the bank. If i need it for a repair i got it... if not save it towards a new down payment when this is paid off completely. ;)

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It is a great value although that's now being eroded with the 2018 prices going up to insane #'s.
I think the high prices on the 2018+ might help keep the values of the earlier cars from falling as fast. We will see.

Charlie Brown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17MY Mustang GT Auto Race Red Custom Pack
Extended warranty might be best option especially as you've already had AC issues

That was actually the driving factor for me to get an ext warranty.
Over here in England UK Ford won’t allow us to extend the warranty to 5 years you have to purchase it when the car is brand new

OP
OP
Maggneto

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
The extended warranty I was quoted from Ford was like 1200$ to go to 75K. The power train is already 6/60... honestly what is gonna go wrong in 30-35K miles thats going o cost much more then 1200$? and most of us turn our own wrenches... so unless it's a main CPU/ECU, not much should cost you that much, out side power train and that is covered till 60K. and i have geico insurance when i bought it and they extend the power train under their policy till 7/70. i'm a gambler... i'd gamble and save 1200$ in the bank. If i need it for a repair i got it... if not save it towards a new down payment when this is paid off completely. ;)

The Evaporator was already replaced but there have been reports of multiple failures after replacement. it appears that at least in some cases, the Evaporator was replaced with the same faulty unit. Since I work from home and my wife only commutes in the summer we only have 20k miles in 3 years. I can get an extended warranty from Flood Ford, or any Ford dealership for 3 more years and up to 60k for 700 dollars. The Evap failure would cost twice that amount.

We could just roll the dice and say screw the extended warranty as well.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
Since you're not in Florida you can just get one of these and keep your car:

https://www.floodfordesp.com/
I've bought from Flood for my F-150, and it was a very easy transaction along with best the best price at the time. When I looked at prices for the wife's '18 GT Champion Ford beat Flood on prices. Easy transaction also, and the Rep was extremely helpful.

https://championfordwarranty.com/

OP, if you like the Mustang there will be no substitute. Garb you an extended warranty, and enjoy the Pony.

Sponsored

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Where? Baltimore Ford is selling 2018s for 21k.... 18 verts for 25... 18 GT 30k....

Obviously those are base cars... but I was like damn.... definitely much lower price points than in 2015.

We are coming up on our 3 year anniversary and with only 2 months left on the 3/36 we have been discussing trading in the Mustang for something, getting the extended warranty, or just rolling the dice and hope the Evaporator doesn't fail a second time.

I went to Carmax and got a buyout price for what I owe on the car. That is pretty impressive considering I put 0 down, financed 72 months at 0 percent in 2015 with an MSRP of 37k(paid 32k OTD), and recently had a 4k insurance claim for some under body damage after hitting some road debris. The Ford dealership came in slightly under what I owe but still less than 1k difference.

The Mustang has been mechanically perfect but has been to the dealership more times for other items like faulty AC (2 visits, 1 evap replacement), squealing PP brakes, door latch recall, and body panel alignment than 4 of our Hyundai's combined.

Fortunately, the Ford dealerships in my area are really good and the dealership experience has been excellent. Also, Ford dealerships are more conveniently located than most other brands. Benefits of living in Nascar country.

Honestly, If I could find a more well rounded, check all the boxes, dollar for dollar vehicle I would buy it in a second. The problem is there is nothing quite like the Mustang and the 2014/2015 being 50 anniversary year is a badge of honor that few cars will ever achieve and is appealing to my personally.

The Mustang is the best selling Sports coupe in the world and that speaks volumes for the design.

The 2.3 Turbo is one of the best and most powerful 4 cyl engines on the market and has the HP/TRQ to compete with zee best 4 cyl Turbos coming out of Stuttgart. The 2.3 gives the Mustang a Sports car experience in a Muscle car body that is practical, affordable and efficient.

While I have not cemented my decision to stick with the Mustang I just can't seem to find anything to fill the shoes of our current Mustang.
I have the same issue... I'd like to move on but I'm not sure where. I put the GT in the mix but I'd keep my car before going that route.

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's kinda how I debated it myself. Except bumper to bumper is what I was looking at. I kinda figure by 3 year mark if it's gonna fall it probably would've by now. But that damn evaporator is what got me to cave. Repairs for evap are double what I paid for warranty

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where? Baltimore Ford is selling 2018s for 21k.... 18 verts for 25... 18 GT 30k....

Obviously those are base cars... but I was like damn.... definitely much lower price points than in 2015.

I have the same issue... I'd like to move on but I'm not sure where. I put the GT in the mix but I'd keep my car before going that route.
From what I've seen mentioned on this site, it's not the base pricing people have an issue with. It's the fully loaded price or even well equipped. And when you get in to the 40s and 50s you start cross shopping other competitors who depending on your view point, may become more attractive at that point

Also if koons is who you're referencing, don't they leave out large fees or some thing like that to get their pricing low? No experience with them but I recall reading that on here

subtimus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 silver PP2
Yep, when I got my current car in 2011, I thought, "This is great. It's all Mustangs for me from here on out." Come time to shop for a new car this year, the price range made me research an odd mix of other contenders (Chevy SS, M2/M240, 1LE, T/A 392, and briefly some stuff like used C43s and ISFs), but ultimately nothing else checked all the boxes. PP2 is supposed to arrive next week, barring further EDD slippage.

Ghostrealm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Triple Yellow Mustang Convertible Fully Loaded with GT body package, 2002,Black WS6 Trans am Ram Air (winter car) First car 2000 Laser Red Mustang GT
There really is absolutely nothing as nice imho as the Mustang. Even the new corvette styling doesn't do it for me compare to the current Mustang. Ford knocked it out of the park.
Sponsored