Sponsored

"Help" Need opinions on what to purchase for new work car.

Franklin Yeti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP (Magnetic Metallic)
Okay, in 2001 fresh out of college I started working for a company that provided a company car. I am still employed with the same company. After 17 years of never owning my own vehicle, I decided 2 months ago to buy a 2018 Mustang GT as my weekend joyride (Been loving that so far!).

Recently, the company decided to give us the option of taking a $750 per month car allowance (before taxes) and we buy our own car. I am taking the car allowance and want some opinions on what a good daily driver car would be. I want something with some get up and go and is fun to drive. My issue is it can't be too sporty since, I have to visit clients out in the field and showing up in a "sporty" car can be a turn off for some. So, I was thinking maybe a Fusion Sport or something similar.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on a at that may be a good daily option that is not too flashy, but yet is a blast to drive? Thanks for the help.
Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
Whats wrong with the mustang for that ? they're only cheap cars after all.

OP
OP
Franklin Yeti

Franklin Yeti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
Whats wrong with the mustang for that ? they're only cheap cars after all.
Several issues there, first one being I need more space in the car as I have to haul more than one client around at the same time. The back seat of the mustang is not accommodating for that. Also, my company requires we use a 4 door car. Also, the clientele I deal with are mostly rural folks, god bless them, and to them the mustang is not a cheap car, I show up at heir homes and places of business regularly. I don't want to give them the impression that I am living large on their dime. Anyhow, add the above to the fact that I don't want to put 25,000 miles per year on my mustang and that has me in the market for something less flashy, yet exciting to drive. Thx.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
f150 then plenty of space and rural folks love them although quick pricing up makes them as expensive as a mustang :( wish we had them over here though instead of that stupid half size ranger we have instead.

AZStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium /Performance
Check out the new Honda Accords. I saw a white sport model at the gas station and it looked sharp, and obviously quality is outstanding. Good luck:cheers:

Sponsored

carcinoid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (sold)
Honda Accord (go for the manual!)
Kia Stinger GT if you want fast and spacious and a brand that doesn't scream money
Audi Q5 (nice but not too flashy)
Fusion sport (just make sure you get a damned good deal. I've seen them for almost $10k off)
Volvo XC60 (not the T5 if you want it quick, but might be too flashy)

Here's a cheat sheet of 2018 cars to peruse.
http://www.motortrend.com/news/2018-new-cars-ultimate-buyers-guide/

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
Fusion sport, 2.7 ecoboost TT AWD. Good amount of room inside, pretty quick too.

swat 79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Man with that kind of money, start looking at higher end cars.

Audi A6, Cadillac CTS, Lincon Continental, etc.

Canoman

Lurker (mostly)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP 400A
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe a 2018 MKZ w/ twin turbo V6? 400hp, 400 lb-ft

Looks like that'd be about $46k for that engine and AWD. Would that fit?

It's not much more than a Taurus SHO, which is 365 hp, 350 lb-ft w/ a single turbo. Though you can get a performance pack SHO, and there doesn't seem to be anything of the sort on the Lincoln as an option.

Chevy SS is in that ballpark.

OP
OP
Franklin Yeti

Franklin Yeti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
Maybe a 2018 MKZ w/ twin turbo V6? 400hp, 400 lb-ft

Looks like that'd be about $46k for that engine and AWD. Would that fit?

It's not much more than a Taurus SHO, which is 365 hp, 350 lb-ft w/ a single turbo. Though you can get a performance pack SHO, and there doesn't seem to be anything of the sort on the Lincoln as an option.

Chevy SS is in that ballpark.
Those Lincoln's are nice, haven't really looked at them before. Not sure if I want to hit that range in price, I'll be putting quite a bit of miles on it travelling and my mustang and my wife's ride take up our two garage spots, so this car would be sitting in driveway. (Guess I could kick my wife's car to the driveway :))

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
f150 then plenty of space and rural folks love them although quick pricing up makes them as expensive as a mustang :( wish we had them over here though instead of that stupid half size ranger we have instead.
+1. 2018 f150 screw 3.5 EB is beast! Add a bed lid, done.
Sponsored