Sponsored

American business owner input needed.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Might want to also check in to which states have the best legislation for your type of business as well. It's been awhile since I looked in to it, but iirc Delaware is one of the best for case law so you could incorporate there and be based out of Utah for the incentives there.
Sponsored

OP
OP
hinch

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
I've spent the morning looking at which universities are pretty good down there for IT staff and avoiding salt lake city its self sounds a little too mormon for my tastes but Provo looks pretty nice to me 2nd biggest uni in state etc.

OP
OP
hinch

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
Might want to also check in to which states have the best legislation for your type of business as well. It's been awhile since I looked in to it, but iirc Delaware is one of the best for case law so you could incorporate there and be based out of Utah for the incentives there.
I've got the lawyers already working on where is the best state to incorporate at the moment i'm more concerned about operationally since its me thats got to come out there for a year or so to setup and I need to make sure I pick a good location to setup too as I don't want to be in a situation of needing to hire developers/customer service people/sales people etc but not have any in the local area because its skills starved (this is a major issue in the UK at the moment)
I also need to consider the flexibility of getting comms into the offices leased line / broadband of some description so I can't be too rural unfortunately.

while we're at it someone please explain to me how the hell your car buying crap works I keep seeing people saying stuff about adm and markups etc and to me this is alien talk over here the car has a price that ford set and that is what you pay that price includes dealer profit/shipping/on the road taxes etc everything. from what I can tell your way of doing it is ford say its a 30k car and your dealer can put another 30k on top if they so wished?

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
ADM = Additional Dealer Markup or "Market Adjustment"

Dealers in the US are separate businesses from Ford and are protected on their own by all kinds of laws. They pay Ford for the vehicles and get to sell them for whatever price they can. Sometimes they get incentives from Ford for volume or other factors which is why some will go below invoice pricing (make their money on holdback or banks paying them on the financing side). If a car is limited in availability, they will regularly price that above Ford's MSRP because someone will pay it in order to have the limited car instead of a regular one. As it sits on the lot longer, they will hopefully lower the price until a point where it moves off the lot.

We have to deal with the vehicle price, registration, license, taxes, destination (delivery), etc fees

OP
OP
hinch

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
ADM = Additional Dealer Markup or "Market Adjustment"

Dealers in the US are separate businesses from Ford and are protected on their own by all kinds of laws. They pay Ford for the vehicles and get to sell them for whatever price they can. Sometimes they get incentives from Ford for volume or other factors which is why some will go below invoice pricing (make their money on holdback or banks paying them on the financing side). If a car is limited in availability, they will regularly price that above Ford's MSRP because someone will pay it in order to have the limited car instead of a regular one. As it sits on the lot longer, they will hopefully lower the price until a point where it moves off the lot.

We have to deal with the vehicle price, registration, license, taxes, destination (delivery), etc fees

wow so complex. so over here the dealers are all franchised the same but there's no real laws like there are over there they're just another business.

So over here my car was ÂŁ38k that price was the same if i speced and priced off fords website or if I went into any dealership in the country.
that includes the dealer cost of the car + dealer profit + registration + on the road tax. so the list price if you like is the price you pay most dealers will be blocked from increasing their charge cost above the ford recommended price either by contract or they just simply won't do it as we'd simply go to another Ford garage else where.
Primary reason for asking is if I'm coming over I've already decided I want an F150 :)

Sponsored

2016Gruv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
But it's so hard to get a good beer there! Liquor laws are restrictive in Utah.
I've never had an issue getting beer in Utah. Beer in grocery stores is low alcohol content, but regular strength in bars and liquor stores. We even have a fairly strong craft beer industry.

2016Gruv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I've spent the morning looking at which universities are pretty good down there for IT staff and avoiding salt lake city its self sounds a little too mormon for my tastes but Provo looks pretty nice to me 2nd biggest uni in state etc.
If I'm correctly interpreting what you wrote above, it's the reverse. SLC is one of the most liberal cities in the western part of the U.S. Provo/Orem is definitely more LDS (Mormon) than SLC. The University of Utah is in SLC area, Brigham Young U. in the Provo/Orem area, Weber State University in Ogden, and Utah State University in Logan.

It might benefit you to look into Ogden City as well. Far cheaper than SLC, VERY business friendly, and only 1 hour from the airport.

OP
OP
hinch

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
If I'm correctly interpreting what you wrote above, it's the reverse. SLC is one of the most liberal cities in the western part of the U.S. Provo/Orem is definitely more LDS (Mormon) than SLC. The University of Utah is in SLC area, Brigham Young U. in the Provo/Orem area, Weber State University in Ogden, and Utah State University in Logan.

It might benefit you to look into Ogden City as well. Far cheaper than SLC, VERY business friendly, and only 1 hour from the airport.
ta I'll take a look see I did look at Logan didn't look at Ogden though but did see it on the map :)

I do really like the look of Utah but personally I'm also really liking the look of Boulder, co. Just the kind of environment that would suit me but not sure how it stands with businesses etc. Since someone mentioned phoenix too we've had a look over there much bigger city ie: more traditional highrise/modern office blocks to rent etc.

Cheese

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I live in UT and have been to Boulder if you are trying to save money in any capacity then avoid Boulder. It is a beautiful city but insanely expensive.

Another thing to consider is that UT is surprisingly very well connected as far as ISP services go. We have a number of commercial gigabit providers throughout the state. Not sure if having quality internet speed is a requirement but UT has a number of solid options.

Static_LV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Prem PP, 1969 Mustang Coupe
Another overlooked area for this type of thing is Las Vegas. Relatively low cost of living, decent talent pool and getting better all the time. Commercial real estate off the strip is reasonable. UNLV has a decent computer science program. On the big plus side, the airport here is excellent. Also of note is that this is the HQ of Switch Communications which as a hosting/collocation facility is very hard to beat. Large number of trade shows and tech conventions here as well which may or may not be of interest.

Sponsored
OP
OP
hinch

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
I live in UT and have been to Boulder if you are trying to save money in any capacity then avoid Boulder. It is a beautiful city but insanely expensive.

Another thing to consider is that UT is surprisingly very well connected as far as ISP services go. We have a number of commercial gigabit providers throughout the state. Not sure if having quality internet speed is a requirement but UT has a number of solid options.

yes it is important and is something I'll be looking into when I come over for a couple of weeks to meet realtors and state business development people to discuss incentives and get pricing on some office space and apartments for me.

OP
OP
hinch

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
Another overlooked area for this type of thing is Las Vegas. Relatively low cost of living, decent talent pool and getting better all the time. Commercial real estate off the strip is reasonable. UNLV has a decent computer science program. On the big plus side, the airport here is excellent. Also of note is that this is the HQ of Switch Communications which as a hosting/collocation facility is very hard to beat. Large number of trade shows and tech conventions here as well which may or may not be of interest.
Someone here mentioned LV as a potential when we first started talking about it but I think they mentioned it more in "cheap corporate holidays to vegas for partying" I've been kinda put of by vegas because of the whole tourist/party thing on the strip. I got dragged for a holiday and hated it and now I kinda have it in my head that ordinary working people just kinda avoid LV and the only people there are just there to support the tourism industry.
I know this picture is probably quite wrong but I just kinda have it in my head that's how it is so I've avoided it because I worry it won't be suitable for us.
Having said that I did look at places that are pretty much driveable to vegas in a day for things like trade shows etc :)

We've pretty much short listed 3 places now so I'm going to get the lads in the office to book me up a load of meetings some plane tickets and some hotels and a hire car and i'll come spend a couple of weeks getting a feel for the area's and the legal side of things stuff like paying American staff as your wages work massively different to ours over here etc.

carcinoid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (sold)
As someone who works in both Las Vegas and Salt Lake City, I can wholeheartedly endorse Utah as a state that his business friendly. I can also wholeheartedly endorse Las Vegas is a sh*t hole city unless you go way west but then cost-of-living goes way up as well. Mind you, my field of work gives me a somewhat skewed view of the population, but it is what I've observed.

The strife with the liquor laws in Utah is somewhat overblown and if you plan ahead at all, it's no big deal. I recently started an LLC in Utah and the process was surprisingly swift and not expensive.

As far as technology goes, I know that Adobe has a large business center just south of the Salt Lake City metro area. I also know that Google Fiber has a strong presence here.

I grew up and spent most of my life in the Midwest and believe that Utah has the perfect balance of climate. It doesn't get too insanely hot during the summer, and winters provide enough snow for recreational activities but the cold isn't bone-chilling. And no matter where you live, you are no more than 20-30 minutes away from absolute mountainous serenity and beautiful hiking trails.
Sponsored