Sponsored

Mustang GT vs Kia Stinger GT

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
BTW, worth noting here, tuners are starting to put out numbers on their pre-release tunes for the Stinger GT’s engine... and they’re hitting nearly 400hp at the wheels. Take into account that Kia claims a 4.7 sec 0-60 at stock, but most people who own one seem to actually get an easy 4.5, that wheel hp boost from 311 (according to stock dynos) to a tuned ~400 (torque jumps from 355 at stock to 430), you suddenly have a potential beast on your hands.
However, problem is, you need to buy one new at the moment, and I have a feeling the depreciation is going to be harsh on this car.
Sponsored

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Auto-86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 2017 Fusion Sport
Not admiration or envy or joy, just a glum pity.
No doubt, and I'll ratchet that up another octave

Stolen bugeye headlights (turned 90 degrees) from Nissan Leaf

2015_nissan_leaf_21_1600x1200.jpg

Perfectly square silver buttons were pretty cool in the 80's. I guess it's time for a comeback.......

1c37e880e83930e64fb2df1ba1a6229b--toyota-supra-turbo-cockpit.jpg

Also, the 66 mustang called and wants it's AC vents back.............

1965_00093_06.jpg

Nice integration of the tailpipes into bumper (NOT!!!) Hangs too low, looks aftermarket like a bad Honda civic body kit.
Heck, even Caddy figured this stuff out over 10 years ago. Not rocket science.

$_1.jpg

Speaker grills kind of remind me of the "Charlies Angles" speakerbox.............

0391bdb3a484879b5fb251a46989b7dd.jpg

I do like the steering wheel................
(although I think the flat bottom steering wheel was the "cool" upgrade about 15 years ago, now I just think it's for fat people) .

IMG_4784_zps21080a1c-1493919661.jpg

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
You know there are many who would think the same about a Mustang.
Yeah, but who cares what Camaro owners say?

Test drove a Stinger GT. Car is fantastic. It’s not going to sell well, though ... No one who buys any of the cars it’s competing against (3/4 series, S4/S5, C43) are going to leave those brands to step into a Kia just because it’s $10-12k cheaper when optioned out.
It's not about BMW/Audi buyers getting Stingers, it's about the people who couldn't afford those cars getting Stingers.

That aside, the premise of comparing a 2 door Mustang GT vs. a 4 door Kia Stinger GT is more than unusual ... to say the least.

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Auto-86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 2017 Fusion Sport
BTW, worth noting here, tuners are starting to put out numbers on their pre-release tunes for the Stinger GT’s engine... and they’re hitting nearly 400hp at the wheels. Take into account that Kia claims a 4.7 sec 0-60 at stock, but most people who own one seem to actually get an easy 4.5, that wheel hp boost from 311 (according to stock dynos) to a tuned ~400 (torque jumps from 355 at stock to 430), you suddenly have a potential beast on your hands.
However, problem is, you need to buy one new at the moment, and I have a feeling the depreciation is going to be harsh on this car.
And once you tune (mod) it, maybe you get warantee, maybe you don't.

From a modded perf standpoint (except the holeshot in crappy conditions on street, where AWD almost always wins), I'll take this (assuming adding A10, halfshafts and oil pump gears) with warantee all day long............. Very good chance it is stone stock reliable at that power level too, for many many years.

Seems like you should be able to get a base A10 car for 31ish, so if you get the car to them

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...searchRadius=0&makeCode1=FORD&modelCode1=MUST

add kit $8210, upgrades $3K, and warantee, $995, you are couple bucks over the base stinger GT AWD price. Not sure what you have to do to any Kia to get 800 HP.

I will give on one aspect though, there is no way Kia's non drivetrain reliability is any worse than Fords.
Bought 5 new fords in past 4 years, problems with every one of them (two of them non-fixable). Electronic/electrical seems to be really glitchy in the new fusion sports.

Last edited:

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

It's not about BMW/Audi buyers getting Stingers, it's about the people who couldn't afford those cars getting Stingers.

That aside, the premise of comparing a 2 door Mustang GT vs. a 4 door Kia Stinger GT is more than unusual ... to say the least.
It’s definitely about swaying people from those brands - it’s whom they are competing the Stinger GT with. Those that cannot afford a fully-loaded S4 for $62k likely still won’t buy a $48-52k Stinger (GT v GT1 v GT2), they’ll spend a couple grand more to get a less-optioned or near-base BMW, Audi or Mercedes-Benz equivalent. That badge and how it’s perceived matters to most (not all) people shopping for luxury sport sedans in that price range - that’s my point. The Stinger will sell, definitely, but it’s not going to be anywhere close to a sales hit... but, I think Kia knows this and has planned on the Stinger being the beginning of an uphill battle for them. It wasn’t all that long ago that Audi fought a similar uphill battle to be a BMW/Mercedes competitor.

And once you tune (mod) it, maybe you get warantee, maybe you don't.

From a modded perf standpoint (except the holeshot in crappy conditions on street, where AWD almost always wins), I'll take this (assuming adding A10, halfshafts and oil pump gears) with warantee all day long............. Very good chance it is stone stock reliable at that power level too, for many many years.

Seems like you should be able to get a base A10 car for 31ish, so if you get the car to them

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...searchRadius=0&makeCode1=FORD&modelCode1=MUST

add kit $8210, upgrades $3K, and warantee, $995, you are couple bucks over the base stinger GT AWD price. Not sure what you have to do to any Kia to get 800 HP.

I will give on one aspect though, there is no way Kia's non drivetrain reliability is any worse than Fords.
Bought 5 new fords in past 4 years, problems with every one of them (two of them non-fixable). Electronic/electrical seems to be really glitchy in the new fusion sports.
Yea, I mean, read the post I made right above what you quoted :p

Sponsored

Guardstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
After visiting the Toronto auto show I came away most impressed with the Stinger, the name is kinda goofy but the value is amazing. I was thinking of buying a 3 series but after looking at the Stinger, which in Canada only comes with the V6, I'm going to test drive one when the weather warms up.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8

Exactly. I wouldn't be cross-shopping a Mustang and Stinger GT. I don't need the room in the Stinger or want a sedan.
But if I was in the market for a performance sedan like an A3,BMW 3 series, Lexus IF, I'd take a Stinger GT over both. Way more bang for the buck.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
(although I think the flat bottom steering wheel was the "cool" upgrade about 15 years ago, now I just think it's for fat people) .

IMG_4784_zps21080a1c-1493919661.jpg
There's lots of those. Reminds me of my flight recently where a behemoth was walking down the aisle. Everyone was watching hoping "please don't sit next to me".

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
You know Kia has done a good job when people start discecting the styling with a fine tooth comb and saying they "pitty" anyone the has one. :lol:

Stingers have actually been flying off the shelves. In Australia they're even going to be Police Cruisers.

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
they've gotten 400whp from the Stinger with no tuning just bolt-ons i believe.

major issue for me is the packaging. you cant get LSD in RWD unless you buy a GT2 or a limited edition yellow base GT...WTF.

Sponsored

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!

I would argue if you can't get a BMW, you won't get a stinger either.

Have you priced them? The v6 starts at 38k and goes to over $50k... for a Kia. Sure, you can buy one starting at $32k but it is a 4 cyl... not the v6.

You can get the BMW 2, 3, and 4 series for under 50k.. maybe the not optioned out on all, but still... pull up in a BMW or kia.

Sounds like to me Kia is following Hyundai.

For the price, it is a hard fit... interesting to see how it works out.

Exactly. I wouldn't be cross-shopping a Mustang and Stinger GT. I don't need the room in the Stinger or want a sedan.
But if I was in the market for a performance sedan like an A3,BMW 3 series, Lexus IF, I'd take a Stinger GT over both. Way more bang for the buck.
Stinger does have a huge trunk over the Mustang... better for hauling my bags when I go to the gun range.

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
major issue for me is the packaging. you cant get LSD in RWD unless you buy a GT2 or a limited edition yellow base GT...WTF.
Wait, really? You Americans get shafted on so many things in the car world. :doh: Everywhere else its standard equipment on even the base 2.0L; no option box tick necessary.

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
because "Digress" is my middle name, I'd personally just buy a Charger if I wanted a V8 sedan.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wait, really? You Americans get shafted on so many things in the car world. :doh: Everywhere else its standard equipment on even the base 2.0L; no option box tick necessary.
FWIW, the US Version has a much better exhaust than the EU and Asian version.

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
FWIW, the US Version has a much better exhaust than the EU and Asian version.
Not by much though. I've heard the US one and driven the euro. Australia gets the best exhaust given its switchable, IIRC.
Sponsored