Sponsored

Gig's Performance Engineering 77mm Ported Throttle body

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Figured it might help to split this off from the BBK 73mm throttle body thread so it is a little clearer which one we're all talking about and to benefit people that don't read the whole thread.

Here is the eBay store page for Gig's Performance Engineering. It is best to look through the listings there because the product link expires every month. If you don't see it listed, send them a message and Joe should get back to you pretty quickly.

Typical price seems to be $259.99 + 14.99 shipping (via USPS Priority Flat Rate box).

Per the listing, they are prepared to order so there is a 5 day prep period before shipping.

I ordered mine on March 9th, it was shipped on the 14th (from CA), and I received it on March 17th (south FL).

Installation:

This is pretty straight forward, but if you want a video, you could check out this one.

Tools needed:
  • 8mm socket (throttle body)
  • 10mm socket (battery)
  • Flat head screw driver (intake tubing)
Steps:
  1. Disconnect battery (pop off two "screw in" clips, remove plastic shroud/cover, use 10mm to disconnect negative terminal) - make sure it is disconnected for at least 5 minutes. If you do it at the start, it should be about 10-15 minutes before you're finished and reconnect it.
  2. Unplug throttle body cable (push red clip out, pull plug)
  3. Remove intake tubing (loosen one screw on each end, pull apart and set to the side)
  4. Disconnect hose on top (pry tool might help here, kinda screws in)
  5. Disconnect throttle body cable plug (pry tool would help here, I cut the tie first so I had more space to work with it)
  6. Remove 4 throttle body screws (4x8mm)
  7. Screw in new throttle body (4x8mm)
  8. Secure top hose back to throttle body
  9. Secure throttle body cable back to throttle body
  10. Reconnect intake tubing
  11. Secure intake tubing (flat head screwdriver)
  12. Reconnect throttle body cable (make sure to secure red clip)
  13. Reconnect negative battery terminal (1x10mm)
  14. Replace battery shroud (2xscrew/push in clips)
  15. The following are on Gig's procedures:
  16. Turn ignition on, do not start engine
  17. Slowly depress the accelerator pedal ot the floor, then slowly release it (do this 3 times, then turn ignition off).
  18. Start the engine and drive, you'll notice an immediate performance increase, but your TB will perform even better after the computer has "learned" to adjust for the increase in air flow (about 100 miles)

Initial Impressions:
I've only gone about 30 miles so far, but it is definitely more responsive down low. I can't say anything about power gains at all, but it is smoother for slow traffic (I used to get a little stutter with rolling stops, much better there for me now) and responds faster trying to speed up on the highway. I was only looking for the improved throttle response so I am satisfied (especially in combo with my Pedalmax).

Unfortunately I didn't grab any side by side pictures of the ported TB compared to the stock TB, but I've attached some pictures of each to this post.

This is just another option for us V6 owners. Other alternatives are the BBK 73mm throttle body (thread), GT 80mm throttle body (thread).

I know for sure that [MENTION=32548]ctandc72[/MENTION], [MENTION=22989]Fuse[/MENTION], [MENTION=31496]Austin552[/MENTION] and I have this particular throttle body at this point. If you've got it, leave your thoughts below.
IMG_20180317_170525.jpg
IMG_20180317_170600.jpg
IMG_20180317_170728.jpg
IMG_20180317_170741.jpg
Sponsored

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Oh there is a thread now. I've had mine since 9/17 and it definitely felt more peppy down low compared to stock. Not sure if it adds any power but it just feels better when you get going. Overall I definitely would recommend this over the BBK.

I thought I had a comparison pic but alas I can't find one. The ported TB has a noticeably bigger opening than stock. I'll take comparison pics when I put heat reflective tape on my intake tube and box.

OP
OP
Nagare

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Mr. Early Adopter over there. My favorite part about it, other than the price, is that it is 100% plug n play because it is just ported compared to the GT one which might be cheaper but you need to mess around with the intake, tubing, and adapter to make it fit. Might be a bit better than this one due to size, but can't beat the ease of this one.

King K. Fool

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Extremely helpful thread, didn't even know this option existed until earlier today.

Has anyone used this with the Airaid CAI? I'm curious if I'll need to play around with the intake tubing/clamps to fit around this Gig's Performance throttle body.

I'll most likely be ordering one either way, but am just curious what others may have to say about this before I bite the bullet.

Austin552

Long member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic V6, 1968 White 5.0
Have the Airaid CAI, MPT 87 Performance tune, GT exhaust, H pipe already and I don’t see much difference in hp. yet... Ran 0-60 in 6 secs after install but only have 20 miles on it and lost traction at take off. Think this is a better way to go than BBK.

Last edited:

Sponsored

King K. Fool

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Have the Airaid CAI, MPT 87 Performance tune, GT exhaust, H pipe already and I don’t see much difference in hp. yet... Ran 0-60 in 6 secs after install but only have 20 miles on it and lost traction at take off. Think this is a better way to go than BBK.
Thanks for the clarification, was mostly curious about the Airaid MXP CAI fitment, since that seemed like an issue with the 73mm BBK throttle body.

I'm not expecting much power out of the GPE 77mm thottle body, just hoping to add on to my current bolt-ons/tune and wake the V6 up a little more on the low end.

OP
OP
Nagare

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
What kind of 0-60 were you running before? I've been able to get 5.8-6 on occasion but not back to back (before the tb, haven't done any attempts for awhile now).

Austin552

Long member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What kind of 0-60 were you running before? I've been able to get 5.8-6 on occasion but not back to back (before the tb, haven't done any attempts for awhile now).
Getting the same results before the TB. Have Extreme Contacts not very sticky, cool morning and shifted to 3rd which I didn’t need to do.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the clarification, was mostly curious about the Airaid MXP CAI fitment, since that seemed like an issue with the 73mm BBK throttle body.

I'm not expecting much power out of the GPE 77mm thottle body, just hoping to add on to my current bolt-ons/tune and wake the V6 up a little more on the low end.
To clarify (I've had the ported Gig's TB installed for a couple of months now) this is a ford OEM 3.7 throttle body that is ported. So externally, it is identical to the OEM throttle body - since it is an OEM throttle body.

I just ordered a new upper and lower Ford intake that's being shipped to Gig's and he is going to port both of them for me.

Sponsored

Fray_s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang S550 V6
Overall, is this a mod worth getting? I feel like for such little gain, busting out +$200 is like meh

OP
OP
Nagare

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
$235 if you buy it before 7pm PT due to the eBay 15% off coupon (PSPRINGTIME).

I've definitely got a favorable impression of it so far, car just feels smoother, especially accelerating at low speeds (stop signs, speed bumps, slow ass highway traffic) and a bit better on the highway too. Whether you might find it worthwhile is a different story, but I've noticed enough of a difference. It isn't a night and day difference, but it is like having your room at the perfect temperature instead of 2* warmer.

matteos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
This looks like a great option. I've got the BBK and I think that was definitely worth getting, but this looks better - cheaper and bigger. The stock TB is so constrictive, I think they just got the cheapest one they could (probably to improve MPG numbers as well). You really feel it on the low end where this car lacks.
I've got mine in combo with the GT exhaust. The exhaust made no difference at all in terms of power (made a much better noise). I don't know if the gains I got from the TB were improved with the better exhaust.

Austin552

Long member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overall, is this a mod worth getting? I feel like for such little gain, busting out +$200 is like meh
I felt like after the GT cat back, H pipe, Airaid CAI and MPT tune the upgrade was necessary. Headers, ported intakes maybe later.

Jared_J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
From what I've seen getting a bigger TB will not improve top end which will be 0 to 60. Now it can contribute once you port everything else.

@Big_Bird Gigs TB is a stock TB ported. Fitment should not be an issue.
I actually like it that they port OEM TB for quality reasons, and look like they charge reasonably for the labor of porting. Do you know which TB they are using exactly?

BBK's charging a TB for 400 bucks is definitely a rip off. I learned their quality from the shorty header.
Sponsored