Sponsored

2018 Mustang GT oil leak

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
Just got word from the dealer that the gasket arrived and has been installed. The sealant is set to cure overnight, and the car should be ready for pickup tomorrow. Contacting Ford Customer Care was the right track to take...apparently my dealership had been having a few issues getting that part and having me elevate the issue assisted in that resolution.

Happy the car will be ready tomorrow, getting kind of tired of driving the rental.
Glad they took care of you. I hear you on the rental. I felt like Vaughn Gitten Jr driving the pony after 3 days in a Cadillac XTS. What a snoozemobile.
Sponsored

OP
OP
FISHTAIL

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
Glad they took care of you. I hear you on the rental. I felt like Vaughn Gitten Jr driving the pony after 3 days in a Cadillac XTS. What a snoozemobile.
LOL, I've been stuck in a fusion hybrid. Gets good gas mileage, and it's comfortable, but it isn't any fun to drive and it's slower than hell.

Hopefully this leak doesn't return. I'm not thrilled I had to take the car in for service so early, but if this is the only real trouble I have with it I'll be happy.

OP
OP
FISHTAIL

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
So got the car back today. I could swear the steering wheel sticks just to the right/left of center now where it didn't before, but I suspect that's just me being paranoid. So far everything seems to have been done right, though the car was pretty dirty when I got it back. I cleaned her up, but I haven't had a chance to jack it up and crawl under it to inspect everything.

The dealership was kind enough to capture my first oil change for blackstone though, and they took good care of me despite the misstep, so I'm happy with them at least. I'll keep a close eye on this to see if it returns, but I hope not. Everything at first glance appears to have been done to spec, and the tech cleaned up his work under the hood nicely.

OP
OP
FISHTAIL

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
So I've put a couple hundred miles on the car since I got it back, and so far, so good. Zero leaks. Hopefully mine was just a fluke and not many people get stuck dealing with this.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
So I've put a couple hundred miles on the car since I got it back, and so far, so good. Zero leaks. Hopefully mine was just a fluke and not many people get stuck dealing with this.
Mine still looks clean on the bottom. I haven't jacked it up to inspect the upper portion of the pan yet though.

Sponsored

OP
OP
FISHTAIL

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
Mine was soaked on the bottom and leaving spots all over the driveway. So sounds like your fine. Mine is still good 500 miles later.

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
So got the car back today. I could swear the steering wheel sticks just to the right/left of center now where it didn't before, but I suspect that's just me being paranoid. So far everything seems to have been done right, though the car was pretty dirty when I got it back. I cleaned her up, but I haven't had a chance to jack it up and crawl under it to inspect everything.

The dealership was kind enough to capture my first oil change for blackstone though, and they took good care of me despite the misstep, so I'm happy with them at least. I'll keep a close eye on this to see if it returns, but I hope not. Everything at first glance appears to have been done to spec, and the tech cleaned up his work under the hood nicely.
I’ve never understood why dealerships don’t wash cars that they have had for a few days. After all, the have the space and equipment to give the car a quick wash.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
I’ve never understood why dealerships don’t wash cars that they have had for a few days. After all, the have the space and equipment to give the car a quick wash.
I don't think I would want them to wash it. They would do more harm then good.

OP
OP
FISHTAIL

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
I'm actually glad they didn't.

I don't think I would want them to wash it. They would do more harm then good.
yeah exactly. I prefer my car swirl free, or as swirl free as I can keep it as it's my DD.

control4userguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
Not only do you run the risk of swirls but I've seen many a finish screwed by leaving a pressure washer in one place for too long.

Sponsored

drabon74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium 401a
Dealership car washers are swirl machines. I have an 18, I’ll check under it this weekend

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Fishtail, when they lowered the front k member to get clearance to R&R pan, they had to remove a bolt in the steering shaft on the engine side of firewall. They also had to remove two bolts from the inside of firewall where steering shaft journal mounts to firewall.

Had a similar very subtle change in steering feel after upgrading to GT350 pan(which leaked, lol).

First, inspect if all three screws are all in place.
Second, ask them if they will loosen these three and jiggle steering wheel back and forth near center to free up any binding. Then retorque all three in order exactly per the shop manual. Shaft bolt must be locktighted or use a new one.
You can actually do all this yourself in a couple minutes.

Lol, I could actually do this faster than I could explain it to a tech lol.

OP
OP
FISHTAIL

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
Fishtail, when they lowered the front k member to get clearance to R&R pan, they had to remove a bolt in the steering shaft on the engine side of firewall. They also had to remove two bolts from the inside of firewall where steering shaft journal mounts to firewall.

Had a similar very subtle change in steering feel after upgrading to GT350 pan(which leaked, lol).

First, inspect if all three screws are all in place.
Second, ask them if they will loosen these three and jiggle steering wheel back and forth near center to free up any binding. Then retorque all three in order exactly per the shop manual. Shaft bolt must be locktighted or use a new one.
You can actually do all this yourself in a couple minutes.

Lol, I could actually do this faster than I could explain it to a tech lol.
Yeah, i forgot to check those, I have the procedure on my laptop thanks to another member here. It's been 500 miles or so now though, and the steering feels fine, so I'd be surprised if they forgot something. I have friends that work at the dealership where I took it, and they all suggested the tech I requested because the guy is apparently meticulous. To the point of getting ragged on a bit apparently...but that's my kind of dealership tech.

I also haven't had any more driveway spots, and last time I crawled under it, she was dry as a bone. The only thing that sucks is I've already gotten used to the extra power over my 16 and the car feels slow now.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Yeah, i forgot to check those, I have the procedure on my laptop thanks to another member here. It's been 500 miles or so now though, and the steering feels fine, so I'd be surprised if they forgot something. I have friends that work at the dealership where I took it, and they all suggested the tech I requested because the guy is apparently meticulous. To the point of getting ragged on a bit apparently...but that's my kind of dealership tech.

I also haven't had any more driveway spots, and last time I crawled under it, she was dry as a bone. The only thing that sucks is I've already gotten used to the extra power over my 16 and the car feels slow now.
Check for any leaks between the turbos, intercooler or intake?
Its easy to forget to install turbos or a supercharger on these things with the stock power, but if you find either of those missing, just bolt em on and you should find the car sufficient for a couple more months.

OP
OP
FISHTAIL

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
Check for any leaks between the turbos, intercooler or intake?
Its easy to forget to install turbos or a supercharger on these things with the stock power, but if you find either of those missing, just bolt em on and you should find the car sufficient for a couple more months.
lol. They definitely forgot to put the whipple back on. I'll go complain about that.
Sponsored