SCCA A Street(Auto X)The Beat Goes on

lostwon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
john
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z51 7 Speed
OKAY, The SCCA just added the 2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack 2 to the previously listed Shelby GT350 in the Solo A Street class. (Autocross)

Now I played in F Stock with my GT Performance Pack S197 in 2013 and did okay on Hoosiers. The Hoosiers were legal for stock then. Later I raced a 2015 S550 GT Performance Pack in F Street on Dunlop Direzza IIs, and got beat by a BMW. Question 1 : Is the 2018 Mustang GT with PP2 going to be competitive against C5 and C6 Corvettes & Camaro SS 1LEs?

I only race locally, no National events. The PP2 OEM Michelin Cup 2s (305/30-19s on 10.5" F and 11" R wheels) should be legal in local events and a big improvement over 9"F and 9.5"R as on Perf Pack1; right?

Haven't even laid eyes on a PPLevel 2 equipped Mustang yet. Ford is quoted as saying they are only building 1,500 per model year. Most dealers don't even know what PP2 is all about. Question 2 : Does anyone have one yet?

Stripped as much as possible, they are supposed to be about $44,495 MSRP. Price point is right in Camaro SS 1LE territory.

Looking for intelligent, knowledgeable answers, please. Thank you.
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, the PP2 are out there, but I haven't personally seen any at local or regional events yet.

With the right tire, you may be competitive against AS cars, but its going to be difficult and highly dependent on the driver. The only thing you're bringing to AS that the car doesn't have in FS is the wide wheels and probably 305 tires. At the last Texas Champ Tour we had a couple of former National Champions at the tops of their classes in AS and FS. The AS car was 4 seconds faster (3%) over two days versus the FS car (who also spanked STP's raw times in a base GT no less). Would Brian have been 2 seconds faster with the PP2 wheels and torque curve? Possibly, but IDK that's a pretty big jump.

The Vette has the power/weight ratio and suspension / spring rate advantage. I haven't spent enough time in a Magnaride car to say if the magnaride on the MY18/19s is a big advantage over a well setup car on Konis, but I'm not expecting it will be.

Nationally, I still think the Vette is going to be the car to beat in AS. Personally i don't think the GT PP2 Mustang will quite get there, but we'll have to wait and see.

Locally, its going to depend on the strength of the drivers in those classes and who is or isn't having a good day.

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Corvett also has a substantial weight advantage, it's simply going to transition faster than an SS or GT. They weigh what, 3300 lbs with the same power output? Power to weight isn't the only thing affecting times, handling is at least of the battle in auto x.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Check out last year Solo Nationals results.

I bet the 1LE wasn't competitive with Corvettes.
And I expect the PP2 won't match a 1LE, especially once you remove it's stickier tires advantage.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I looked at the 2017 Nats results and firstly, nearly all the entries in AS were Corvettes. All of the trophy spots plus a handful were Corvettes (often Z06 cars). The first and only GT350 was pretty far out of the action. The rare Cameros were out of the trophies too.

Good luck PP2, you're going to need it.

Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
If only the classing was by speed, rather than car type.

dontlifttoshift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Gather data and write letters. The SEB is asking for feedback regarding moving the fast pony cars to BS from AS. That would include the PP2, 1LE, GT350, and some foreign stuff that I can't remember that is also in AS.

OP
OP
lostwon

lostwon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
john
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z51 7 Speed
Found a Perf Pack 2; only 2,500 miles away...

Good price for a loaded Premium - $54,065 MSRP; discounted to $50,065.
Baltimore. It IS a Level 2 with Recaros, and just about everything else.

I was kind of hoping for a little less bling, and a little closer to the left coast.. Guess I'll keep looking.

Anyone seen any West of the Pecos?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata ND
I've been thinking about picking up a CPO GT350 for autocross. If it moved to B Street, that'd be fantastic. Otherwise, I think it could still be competitive locally in A Street. Something to consider is that the lack of availability (price) of the GT350 which has kept many people from owning them and trying to set them up.

The car was designed to be tracked, and the front wheel width is so huge, I just think there is some potential there.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
I've been thinking about picking up a CPO GT350 for autocross. If it moved to B Street, that'd be fantastic. Otherwise, I think it could still be competitive locally in A Street. Something to consider is that the lack of availability (price) of the GT350 which has kept many people from owning them and trying to set them up.

The car was designed to be tracked, and the front wheel width is so huge, I just think there is some potential there.
Locally my car will place 1st in A class but a big downside is the Advancetrac faults during an autox run. To avoid it reoccurring, after it faults on the 1st run I need to reset to track mode and then leave the engine running during the rest of the session. Have tried various suggestions from this forum but that is the only way that works 100%.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Correct. The Mustang, however, is not a fantastic autocross car for no other reasons than size and weight. It does come alive on an open track, though. The Ford dynamics engineers even have stated this when asked in conversation.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Cant you disconnect the engine plug on drivers side to prevent the advance track issue? "Dyno mode" or something like that...
Yes, that should work. IIRC the abs still works. The connector is between the airbox and the shock tower (on a GT), and disconnecting it would disable the nannies on my car. ... technically, doing that kind of thing may not be strictly legal for autox, but IDK who would object at a local event, since you're just doing what the buttons do without the possiblity of a fault/reset in the middle of your runs.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Cant you disconnect the engine plug on drivers side to prevent the advance track issue? "Dyno mode" or something like that...
Don't know, I'll have to try it next time out. Thanks for the suggestion.

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
The only negative effects I've seen from disconnecting that plug are the track apps no longer work right, like the accelerometer.
Sponsored