Sponsored

Setup for Ecoboost PP in STU

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
How many years the RE71Rs will last depends on how many events you run.

My first set of RE71Rs didn't see any track time, and I got 130 autox runs and nearly 2700 street miles out of them. It does depend on how hard you drive (or overdrive) and the road surface.

I figure I would get about 10k street miles, OR +100 autox runs on the average set. Track day wear varies, but maybe 6 days (30 sessions) if that's all you used them for.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

zacpounds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost
The BC rates are odd in that the fronts are really, really stiff compared with the rear. There's your understeer. I don't really trust a company that sells a kit with that large of an imbalance, nor grasps relative ride frequencies. It'll ride ok, but the handling will be odd/poor. For the hard parkers, it's a good option. Anyone serious about handling isn't even looking there.
Well I will probably stick to some type of coilover setup if I even change the shocks and springs out rather than just the springs but it won’t be any time soon. My buddy has mention ground control, eibach, kw and a few other really expensive brands but I don’t know what is truly worth looking at. I assume something with resevoirs would be too much for autocross?

Ultimately I want the car to be cometitive but I’m not going to worry about squeezing every bit out of the car from the very beginning. This will probably take me a couple of years to, 1) really even get good enough as a driver and 2) be able to afford to follow through with these mods.

How many years the RE71Rs will last depends on how many events you run.

My first set of RE71Rs didn't see any track time, and I got 130 autox runs and nearly 2700 street miles out of them. It does depend on how hard you drive (or overdrive) and the road surface.

I figure I would get about 10k street miles, OR +100 autox runs on the average set. Track day wear varies, but maybe 6 days (30 sessions) if that's all you used them for.
Gotcha. I’ll check around with the local guys and see how they are managing on them also if they are running them.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Well I will probably stick to some type of coilover setup if I even change the shocks and springs out rather than just the springs but it won’t be any time soon. My buddy has mention ground control, eibach, kw and a few other really expensive brands but I don’t know what is truly worth looking at. I assume something with resevoirs would be too much for autocross?

Ultimately I want the car to be cometitive but I’m not going to worry about squeezing every bit out of the car from the very beginning. This will probably take me a couple of years to, 1) really even get good enough as a driver and 2) be able to afford to follow through with these mods.

Gotcha. I’ll check around with the local guys and see how they are managing on them also if they are running them.
Ground control and KW are good, as are the Steeda. More expensive than those, but truly excellent are the Ridetech, JRi and Cortex. If you want to keep yours, get some different springs and raise it. I'd recommend 250-275 lb/in front and 950-1000 lb/in rear (so 4.5 front and 17.5 rear in kg/mm). Set the front height at least an inch up from where you are, and the back another 0.25-0.4 inches up from that. It'll be a better street car and autocross car.

OP
OP

zacpounds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost
Ground control and KW are good, as are the Steeda. More expensive than those, but truly excellent are the Ridetech, JRi and Cortex. If you want to keep yours, get some different springs and raise it. I'd recommend 250-275 lb/in front and 950-1000 lb/in rear (so 4.5 front and 17.5 rear in kg/mm). Set the front height at least an inch up from where you are, and the back another 0.25-0.4 inches up from that. It'll be a better street car and autocross car.
Alright, I'll take things into consideration. Thank you. Any other insights into mods later on down the road like bushings or any extra bracing aside from the front?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Alright, I'll take things into consideration. Thank you. Any other insights into mods later on down the road like bushings or any extra bracing aside from the front?
CB005 cradle bushing lockout kit if you don't already have it, but otherwise no. Tires is by far the biggest thing for performance in that stage.

Sponsored

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
So, I've been running on the same Roush V3 shocks and struts I bought a few years ago when I first embarked on an STP setup. I found the spring rates with that kit are way too soft for competitive autox. The fronts are progressive but at rest around 300 lb-in while the rears are linear and roughly 900 lb-in according to my ghetto calculations.

A drop in replacement rear spring that is the stiffest off-the-shelf 5.5" coil that should work with any of the adjustable perches used in the OEM location is the Hyperco 18Z1440 spring. These are cheap off Amazon: Hyperco 18Z1440

Looking at the BCRacing S550 coilover kit specs has me thinking the front rate is actually ok and would probably benefit a lot from those much stiffer Hyperco springs in the back.

I'm running a 500 lb-in front spring now and have on order a weight jacker setup for the rear control arms in order to run a 1600 lb-in 2.25" race spring there. The ride HZ for these rates are less than 2.5hz, which isn't into the crazy zone if one compares some national level autox setups for other cars.

I run a Steeda FSB and V6 Stang RSB. Going to test no RSB once the 1600 springs are in place.

For a $250ish performance tire, if that's all your budget is, is the Continental ECS in 285/35/19.

So, you could actually improve your setup to be much like mine with just some rear springs @ <$200, a V6 rear bar then better tires.

I don't mean to kick dirt at [MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION] because he is a great resource on this forum. I just think in terms of STx or higher prep the rates need to be much higher than what we normally see around here on M6G.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
No dirt taken! Lol. It depends on how far from streetable you're prepared to go. 1.6-1.7 Hz is a fantastic balance and more than sharp enough to get around a course without the car holding you up, particularly if you have aftermarket bars. For truly competitive at a nationals level, yeah, over 2 Hz.

Memphis-EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Impact Blue Ecoboost
You might also try Federal RS RR's there 275/35/19 runs 10 wide- and is $140 a tire from Amazon- not the prettiest or quitest tire, but it sticks well and is 1/2 the price of comparable tires. Having run the RE71R's on track days (no autocross) I will say tire wear is similar, the Federals handle downpours better, the RE71R's perform a tad better for ultimate grip and our significantly quieter. My two cents your results may vary.

OP
OP

zacpounds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost
So, I've been running on the same Roush V3 shocks and struts I bought a few years ago when I first embarked on an STP setup. I found the spring rates with that kit are way too soft for competitive autox. The fronts are progressive but at rest around 300 lb-in while the rears are linear and roughly 900 lb-in according to my ghetto calculations.

A drop in replacement rear spring that is the stiffest off-the-shelf 5.5" coil that should work with any of the adjustable perches used in the OEM location is the Hyperco 18Z1440 spring. These are cheap off Amazon: Hyperco 18Z1440

Looking at the BCRacing S550 coilover kit specs has me thinking the front rate is actually ok and would probably benefit a lot from those much stiffer Hyperco springs in the back.

I'm running a 500 lb-in front spring now and have on order a weight jacker setup for the rear control arms in order to run a 1600 lb-in 2.25" race spring there. The ride HZ for these rates are less than 2.5hz, which isn't into the crazy zone if one compares some national level autox setups for other cars.

I run a Steeda FSB and V6 Stang RSB. Going to test no RSB once the 1600 springs are in place.

For a $250ish performance tire, if that's all your budget is, is the Continental ECS in 285/35/19.

So, you could actually improve your setup to be much like mine with just some rear springs @ <$200, a V6 rear bar then better tires.

I don't mean to kick dirt at [MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION] because he is a great resource on this forum. I just think in terms of STx or higher prep the rates need to be much higher than what we normally see around here on M6G.
I've tried looking before but couldn't find the spring rates for the BC's. Can you tell me what they are or link me to them?

As far as tires, I think I'll go with the Federal 595 RS RR's for the first attempt at a sticky tire while I learn and develop then jump to the RE7's later on. They are well within the $250 price range so I think they will be worth starting with.

You might also try Federal RS RR's there 275/35/19 runs 10 wide- and is $140 a tire from Amazon- not the prettiest or quitest tire, but it sticks well and is 1/2 the price of comparable tires. Having run the RE71R's on track days (no autocross) I will say tire wear is similar, the Federals handle downpours better, the RE71R's perform a tad better for ultimate grip and our significantly quieter. My two cents your results may vary.
The Federals are what I was thinking of going to. The size would fit my stock wheels better while I save for a second set of wheels.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I've tried looking before but couldn't find the spring rates for the BC's. Can you tell me what they are or link me to them?

As far as tires, I think I'll go with the Federal 595 RS RR's for the first attempt at a sticky tire while I learn and develop then jump to the RE7's later on. They are well within the $250 price range so I think they will be worth starting with.

The Federals are what I was thinking of going to. The size would fit my stock wheels better while I save for a second set of wheels.
They're 7K front and 14K rear, which translates to 392 and 784 lb/in. For reference, a stock GT PP is 165/728. An EB PP is similar.

Sponsored

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP

The only reason I mentioned Continentals is they would be a very nice street tire along the lines of a Michelin PS4S. I might have looked at 275/35 instead of 285/35.

BCRacings website for the S550 coilovers kit has the spring rates listed in the features section: 7k and 14k.

https://bcracingcoilovers.com/produ...g-br-type-coilovers-ecoboost-gt-and-v6-models

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
The only reason I mentioned Continentals is they would be a very nice street tire along the lines of a Michelin PS4S. I might have looked at 275/35 instead of 285/35.

BCRacings website for the S550 coilovers kit has the spring rates listed in the features section: 7k and 14k.

https://bcracingcoilovers.com/produ...g-br-type-coilovers-ecoboost-gt-and-v6-models
Since 7K and 14K are obviously metric units . . .

https://www.redline360.com/garage/spring-rate-conversion-chart-easily-convert-kgmm-to-lbsin

rodhx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP Premium
Not sure this was ever answered, but no intercooler upgrade in STx. I run my EBPP in STP (19x10, RE71Rs, Cobb tune, Strano RSB). The IC is the next thing I'd like to change but mainly for track days. If I upgrade the IC I'll just run CAM-C.

I've been hesitant to make suspension changes since our cars are such nice drivers that I don't want to ruin the street behavior. I have owned three other STx category autocross cars and most became miserable with a good autocross setup. Especially with on the Birmingham interstates. I have been very happy with the stock setup with good results relative to our areas top drivers so the motivation for Konis or coilovers is low.

Oh...and I'd stay out of STU. A friend has one of the better STU cars in the Southeast (350z). It's the best autocross car I've driven and I can't really see going there with a Mustang when STP and CAM-C exist. The AWD cars are still there but STU is also home for very quick C5 Vettes as well as the Z cars.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure this was ever answered, but no intercooler upgrade in STx. I run my EBPP in STP (19x10, RE71Rs, Cobb tune, Strano RSB). The IC is the next thing I'd like to change but mainly for track days. If I upgrade the IC I'll just run CAM-C.

I've been hesitant to make suspension changes since our cars are such nice drivers that I don't want to ruin the street behavior. I have owned three other STx category autocross cars and most became miserable with a good autocross setup. Especially with on the Birmingham interstates. I have been very happy with the stock setup with good results relative to our areas top drivers so the motivation for Konis or coilovers is low.

Oh...and I'd stay out of STU. A friend has one of the better STU cars in the Southeast (350z). It's the best autocross car I've driven and I can't really see going there with a Mustang when STP and CAM-C exist. The AWD cars are still there but STU is also home for very quick C5 Vettes as well as the Z cars.
Try the Ford Performance Track dampers. It will still ride very well (in many ways better) and will have more control than stock by a decent degree. I've had Konis too, which are indeed sharper, but also ride noticeably worse.

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Lots of mod talk for a new guy.

Tires, and experience. That's 100% all I'd do.

Mods get tricky, I'm currently un-Fing my recent round of mods. Steeda rear sway just got removed in favor of the stocker as I had uncontrollable lift off oversteer both at autocross (mainly) and it made the rear twitchy on track.

Now I'm chasing a "thump thump thump" when weight transfers from front to rear coming to a stop as the spring goes from compression to static.

If it doesn't go away with the revision C springs arriving thursday, I'm going to jump spring MFGs.
Sponsored