Sponsored

Roush Axle-back & X-Pipe sounds too raspy...

NorthernMuscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Hey guys,

2015 GTPP w/Roush cold air intake, axle-backs, x-pipe, and mapping. Tons of suspension mods, as I prioritize handling over looks or sound, but did want it to sound similar to my previous 2008 Roush Stage 3, only louder... I'm ok with the LOUD that this system puts out, but when you really get on it, it's like a crazy trumpet going manic, or a "box of angry marbles" lol

Some describe it as "modern/high tech" sportscar sound, but it's a little over the top for me... Any advice on what to change out to get back to that loud muscle car sound? I like the sound of the Roush Axle-backs, and don't want to re-add the oem resonator. Does an H-Pipe dial back that raspiness notably enough to justify the $500?

Suggestions?
Sponsored

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
Last edited:

Logan@Lethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Logan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 3.0L Whipple
An H pipe does have quite a significantly different tone than an X pipe, but the cost will be up to you. If it was me, I would swap the axleback before the midpipe. Once you sell the roush axleback and spend that same $$ on lets say, Corsa sport, you may be a lot more happy. Its really up to you. Regardless, we can get you whatever you need.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Try this: https://www.americanmuscle.com/borla-touring-resonator-muffer-1517-gt.html

I kept my stock resonator - I think it sounds just right for now.
That will quiet it down a lot. I don't think you want to reduce volume quite that much.

An H will definitely help, though will still have some rasp. Add some inline bullet resonators after the X-pipe (even easier to do if it's an H-pipe). You'll have to have them welded in though, but it'll give you what you want.

Try these:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-1792/overview/

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Anyone know the weight of the Borla resonator versus the stock one?

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
NorthernMuscle

NorthernMuscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
Hey guys,

2015 GTPP w/Roush cold air intake, axle-backs, x-pipe, and mapping. Tons of suspension mods, as I prioritize handling over looks or sound, but did want it to sound similar to my previous 2008 Roush Stage 3, only louder... I'm ok with the LOUD that this system puts out, but when you really get on it, it's like a crazy trumpet going manic, or a "box of angry marbles" lol

Some describe it as "modern/high tech" sportscar sound, but it's a little over the top for me... Any advice on what to change out to get back to that loud muscle car sound? I like the sound of the Roush Axle-backs, and don't want to re-add the oem resonator. Does an H-Pipe dial back that raspiness notably enough to justify the $500?

Suggestions?
half the $$ right here

http://www.teambeefcakeracing.com/mmexh-mus8-15hp.html

i'm with you, i like the more old school h sound better myself as well

Mike K.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
Can't you convert the Roush to an active exhaust ? That would make it quiet when you need ?

MasterCylinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(sold)17 GT
Get a resonated x-pipe or some sort of aftermarket resonator. Its really the only way.

Sponsored
OP
OP
NorthernMuscle

NorthernMuscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Just for some closure on this thread, I ended up swapping the Roush x-pipe for a Mishimoto H-pipe and the sound is a "little" more what I was looking for, but as some mentioned above, it didn't make a huge difference, and is still a little too "raspy" and loud for my liking.

Just for perspective, I LOVE loud pipes, live out in the country, and know how to not be an asshole with the sound. That said, this car, with Roush axle backs, and no resonator is stupid loud for a daily driver. Most of the time it's all good, but if a cop were following me from a stop, or when firing it up first thing in the morning, I become very aware of it :)

If I had to put a number on the difference, I would say that 5-10% of the raspiness/harshness/trumpety/"high tech" sound/whatever you want to call it, was reduced by swapping the x-pipe for an h-pipe, and maybe <5% of the volume. Probably not worth the effort in most people's assessment, but I really wanted to see a straight A-B comparison (too bad I forgot to take some clips of before and after the swap...)

Even though I LOVED the Roush sound on my 08' and 10', next time around I think I'll try a different axle back, due to the sound of this engine...

Cheers.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Just for some closure on this thread, I ended up swapping the Roush x-pipe for a Mishimoto H-pipe and the sound is a "little" more what I was looking for, but as some mentioned above, it didn't make a huge difference, and is still a little too "raspy" and loud for my liking.

Just for perspective, I LOVE loud pipes, live out in the country, and know how to not be an asshole with the sound. That said, this car, with Roush axle backs, and no resonator is stupid loud for a daily driver. Most of the time it's all good, but if a cop were following me from a stop, or when firing it up first thing in the morning, I become very aware of it :)

If I had to put a number on the difference, I would say that 5-10% of the raspiness/harshness/trumpety/"high tech" sound/whatever you want to call it, was reduced by swapping the x-pipe for an h-pipe, and maybe <5% of the volume. Probably not worth the effort in most people's assessment, but I really wanted to see a straight A-B comparison (too bad I forgot to take some clips of before and after the swap...)

Even though I LOVED the Roush sound on my 08' and 10', next time around I think I'll try a different axle back, due to the sound of this engine...

Cheers.
I'm in a similar boat. I have a similar setup to you on the exhaust side of things, but throw in LTH. My car sounds absolutely bananas with this setup and I was looking for more of a refined European sound. Between idle and 3k rpm it sounds great, but then it goes bonkers. Maybe change out the Roush Axle Backs with something else?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in a similar boat. I have a similar setup to you on the exhaust side of things, but throw in LTH. My car sounds absolutely bananas with this setup and I was looking for more of a refined European sound. Between idle and 3k rpm it sounds great, but then it goes bonkers. Maybe change out the Roush Axle Backs with something else?
There's almost nothing that won't be bananas with LTs and an X-pipe.

Try the Roush with a resonated X-pipe. Should help quite a bit.

Reactions: Ebm
OP
OP
NorthernMuscle

NorthernMuscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
...Maybe change out the Roush Axle Backs with something else?
I'm thinking that's probably the best bet... and it's what others above have said. Like I said, I loved the Roush sound on previous cars. My 2008 was a proper Stage3 Roush, but this engine has a completely different sound, and I think they erred on the side of volume over tone.

That said... I continually get a crazy number of compliments from kids between 10-30yrs old. 40 and over seem to think it sounds like a modded tin can lol

OP
OP
NorthernMuscle

NorthernMuscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
...An H will definitely help, though will still have some rasp. Add some inline bullet resonators after the X-pipe (even easier to do if it's an H-pipe). You'll have to have them welded in though, but it'll give you what you want.

Try these:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-1792/overview/
Looking back in hindsight, this was probably the best advice, and should have tried this route over the H-pipe... maybe I still will lol

At the end of the day I don't really care, I'm just picky...
Sponsored