MPG at 75-80 MPH?

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
What is everybody's fuel mileage at 75-80 MPH? I'm only getting 22 combined right now. That seems poor for having a commute that's 50/50 (city/highway).
Sponsored

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
That seems very low for the ecoboost. Have you checked your tire pressures? Check your intake? A friend of mine found a plastic bag sucked up in his.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
What is everybody's fuel mileage at 75-80 MPH? I'm only getting 22 combined right now. That seems poor for having a commute that's 50/50 (city/highway).
EPA highway economy estimates are based on an average speed of 48 mph, with a top speed of 60 mph. You can expect to see a 20% decrease in miles per gallon between 55 mph and 75 mph. That means if you get 30 mpg at 55 mph you'll get 24 mpg at 75 mph.

How much of your city driving (stop & go) is with the engine is cold? Warm up time is longer in the winter, and even longer for city driving. Economy suffers significantly during engine warm up, so if you are in stop & go traffic AND the engine is cold your fuel economy numbers will take a big hit.

Another factor could be reformulated gas. I don't know if they reformulate the gas for winter where you live, but here in the St. Louis area I see a drop of 2-4 mpg during the winter (average 26-28 mpg with about 80% hwy @ 65-70 mph), which I attribute equally to longer warm up time and reformulated gas.

Bottom line is I don't think 22 mpg average is out of line for a car driven at 75-80 mph on the highway, especially if your city driving is with a cold engine.

OP
OP

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

That seems very low for the ecoboost. Have you checked your tire pressures? Check your intake? A friend of mine found a plastic bag sucked up in his.
The TPMS read out on the screen is 33 psi cold on all tires. I haven't checked the intake for plastic bags, but that's a good idea. Ever since I went to new tires (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+), my mileage has tanked from what it used to be. Tires are same size as well. 255/40/19. Although I moved closer to work when I got the new tires. So I cut out 25 minutes of highway driving by moving closer to work.

EPA highway economy estimates are based on an average speed of 48 mph, with a top speed of 60 mph. You can expect to see a 20% decrease in miles per gallon between 55 mph and 75 mph. That means if you get 30 mpg at 55 mph you'll get 25 mpg at 75 mph.

How much of your city driving (stop & go) is with the engine is cold? Warm up time is longer in the winter, and even longer for city driving. Economy suffers significantly during engine warm up, so if you are in stop & go traffic AND the engine is cold your fuel economy numbers will take a big hit.

Another factor could be reformulated gas. I don't know if they reformulate the gas for winter where you live, but here in the St. Louis area I see a drop of 2-4 mpg during the winter (average 26-28 mpg with about 80% hwy @ 65-70 mph), which I attribute equally to longer warm up time and reformulated gas.
On the way to work, engine warms up on the highway. On the way home, engine warms up city driving with a little stop and go.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
On the way to work, engine warms up on the highway. On the way home, engine warms up city driving with a little stop and go.
If temps are below 40 when I drive the car to get lunch (all city driving with a cold engine) I see economy numbers below 15 mpg. A couple of lunch runs can drop my combined economy numbers by 1-2 mpg over a tankful. It has a much greater impact than you think.

I try to bring lunch from home, or bum a ride from someone else. :)

Reactions: Ebm

Sponsored

Kudarat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Konrad
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
used to get 26mpg with stock PP tires. Went with 20x10 wheels with 275/35R20 tires and my mpg went down to 22-23 for a 10 minute city drive (40-45mph) and 20 minute hwy (75-80mph).

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Although I moved closer to work when I got the new tires. So I cut out 25 minutes of highway driving by moving closer to work.
I would wager that has far more to do with your drop in mileage than the new tires.

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
I don't consistently cruise at 75-80, but I'm noticing right now, during the holidays, when there's not much rush hour traffic to contend with (and my almost all freeway commute), that I'm getting 28.9 MPG...:headbang:

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
used to get 26mpg with stock PP tires. Went with 20x10 wheels with 275/35R20 tires and my mpg went down to 22-23 for a 10 minute city drive (40-45mph) and 20 minute hwy (75-80mph).
Yeah, you increased the size of your contact patch with wider tires. Your mileage will go down...does your PCM know about the new tire size? There's a good chance that your speedo, odometer, and trip computer are all off, so if you're going by the numbers on the trip computer, you might do well to reflash it with the appropriate tire size. But I'm going to say that when you increase the size of the contact patch (i.e. wider tires), expect your mileage to drop...

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
Also depends upon gearing as well. I have a 6 speed with the performance pack (shorter gear ratio) so highway suffers a bit more. The slowest I can stand is 65 on the freeway and that is grazing the bleeding edge of 30mpg. All downhill from there. I also have 19'' 275's all the way around.

Sponsored

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Yeah, you increased the size of your contact patch with wider tires. Your mileage will go down...
Contact patch is part of it, but he's also significantly increased aerodynamic drag, especially at 80 mph. My guess is you probably wouldn't notice such a big difference in mileage around town, or if you kept your highway speeds down to 60 mph.

I know it seems like less fun, but I've experimented with different speeds over my commute and I've come to some interesting conclusions. It's 35 miles from engine start to shutdown on my commute, with 32.5 miles of that highway/interstate. If I drive 60 mph on the highway portion it takes 32 minutes and 30 seconds. If I drive 80 mph it takes 24 minutes and 20 seconds. The reality is I can never stay at 80 the entire distance because of the left lane bandits; I find I am constantly turning the cruise on and off, on the lookout for the highway patrol and getting frustrated with the idiots who believe they don't have to move over as long as they are going the speed limit. At either end of the highway portion of my commute are a few stop signs and lights; it's a rare day I catch all the lights green, or don't have to wait on crossing traffic at the stop signs.

What this all means is that once you account for the left-lane bandits and traffic lights at either end, the difference between 60 mph and 80 mph during the highway portion of my commute is at most three minutes total travel time. In addition, the time on the highway is often spent weaving around and cursing people who refuse to get out of the left lane. Needless to say, not very relaxing or enjoyable.

Contrast that with a leisurly 60 mph commute. The cruise control almost never comes off, so I can enjoy my morning coffee. I smile and wave at the officers on traffic duty when I pass them. And since I'm driving a car with a relatively powerful engine, I can easily accelerate and match speed with the fast-lane traffic to get around the rare driver who is driving even slower than me.

All in all, it's a much more relaxing and enjoyable experience, and you'll get much better fuel mileage. The icing is the occasional burst of power to accelerate around slower traffic. :headbang:

OP
OP

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Contact patch is part of it, but he's also significantly increased aerodynamic drag, especially at 80 mph. My guess is you probably wouldn't notice such a big difference in mileage around town, or if you kept your highway speeds down to 60 mph.

I know it seems like less fun, but I've experimented with different speeds over my commute and I've come to some interesting conclusions. It's 35 miles from engine start to shutdown on my commute, with 32.5 miles of that highway/interstate. If I drive 60 mph on the highway portion it takes 32 minutes and 30 seconds. If I drive 80 mph it takes 24 minutes and 20 seconds. The reality is I can never stay at 80 the entire distance because of the left lane bandits; I find I am constantly turning the cruise on and off, on the lookout for the highway patrol and getting frustrated with the idiots who believe they don't have to move over as long as they are going the speed limit. At either end of the highway portion of my commute are a few stop signs and lights; it's a rare day I catch all the lights green, or don't have to wait on crossing traffic at the stop signs.

What this all means is that once you account for the left-lane bandits and traffic lights at either end, the difference between 60 mph and 80 mph during the highway portion of my commute is at most three minutes total travel time. In addition, the time on the highway is often spent weaving around and cursing people who refuse to get out of the left lane. Needless to say, not very relaxing or enjoyable.

Contrast that with a leisurly 60 mph commute. The cruise control almost never comes off, so I can enjoy my morning coffee. I smile and wave at the officers on traffic duty when I pass them. And since I'm driving a car with a relatively powerful engine, I can easily accelerate and match speed with the fast-lane traffic to get around the rare driver who is driving even slower than me.

All in all, it's a much more relaxing and enjoyable experience, and you'll get much better fuel mileage. The icing is the occasional burst of power to accelerate around slower traffic. :headbang:
My issue is the horrible final gear in mine(3:31). It's unusable until 75-80 mph if you have any hills around you. I find myself driving in 5th at 3k rpm around 70 mph because of this issue. 6th gear sucks unless you have the pp 3:55.

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
when i had a rental ecoboost (auto) i was averaging 23-24mpg about 60% city traffic 40% hwy cruise

my GT does about 18-19mpg average. i would expect your car to be a bit better

Last edited:

kart3l

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15'Mustang Ecoboost PP
With a performance pack Ecoboost, and the Ford Racing tune using cruise control -

@ 60-75 mph, I am getting 30-32MPG combined on a roundtrip (with cruise control). Obviously any temptations to accelerate without the cruise control decreases the MPG significantly..

Seconded on checking the tire pressures.

Also - are you doing it round trip? Remember the elevation changes affect gas mileage.

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
My issue is the horrible final gear in mine(3:31). It's unusable until 75-80 mph if you have any hills around you. I find myself driving in 5th at 3k rpm around 70 mph because of this issue. 6th gear sucks unless you have the pp 3:55.
I do have a PP car. My personal rule of thumb is not to put the vehicle into 6th gear below 55 MPH. You definitely don't want to do something like accelerate uphill with the car in 6th going 55... (LSPI). 6th is pretty usable in a PP car. I use it all the time for freeway cruising, and for state highways and such (as long as traffic is moving at 55+ MPH).

The EBM is geared kind of funny, too...in a typical 6 speed manual, gears 1-4 are as expected, with 4th being direct drive (1.00:1), 5 being a mild overdrive (usually something like 0.92:1), and 6 being a super duper overdrive. However, our gear ratios have 5th being direct drive, and 6th is our only overdrive gear. Also, 3.55 in most other cars would be considered a fairly normal axle pinion ratio, but I guess Ford went for the kill with favorable gearing for fuel economy. Isn't 3.10 also used in some ecoboosts? (automatic, non performance pack?).
Sponsored