Sponsored

Cost to replace blown Ecoboom engine?

kart3l

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15'Mustang Ecoboost PP
Sorry about your engine situation man. Hope everything works out at the end.

+1 for going the warranty route + FP tune + Intercooler, especially when you don't have a lot of extra funds lying around for play money.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Datalux

Datalux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EcoBoost, Premium, Auto, PP
Apparently you have the PP engine. If you could do the research that is necessary to answer your question which would take your time and effort to establish a difference between the engine designation that would be helpful with your topic of the discussion.
I actually have the question in to the dealer parts counter and i'm waiting to hear back. Reason I'm curious is the written estimate given to me for MY car is the non-PP engine number. Makes me nervous...

Last edited:

Woodshop77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang
Datalux - Call Brian at Esslinger,(ask for him) they are probably within 20 miles of you (Chino). They can build a new block setup for you at probably the same price as you are seeing elsewhere. The difference is they specialize in 4 cylinder Ford engines. (That's what they build, racing engines - That's their thing - I was referred to them by Ford Performance) You can probably salvage some parts from your blown engine(like your head) and you will have a much beefier and happier engine. Look at it as a positive investment for your car if you are going to keep it. (If you go the full build route get it sleeved, they solve all the cracking issues with block reinforcement.)

OP
OP
Datalux

Datalux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datalux - Call Brian at Esslinger,(ask for him) they are probably within 20 miles of you (Chino). They can build a new block setup for you at probably the same price as you are seeing elsewhere. The difference is they specialize in 4 cylinder Ford engines. (That's what they build, racing engines - That's their thing - I was referred to them by Ford Performance) You can probably salvage some parts from your blown engine(like your head) and you will have a much beefier and happier engine. Look at it as a positive investment for your car if you are going to keep it. (If you go the full build route get it sleeved, they solve all the cracking issues with block reinforcement.)
Thanks - discussed Esslinger here I would have loved to have gone that route but just couldn't afford it.

Mattrix

The Engine Destroyer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 1 Mustang
Sorry to hear about another one.. When mine blew over 2 years ago my dealer charged me $6200 for a complete new motor and installation. The original price was $8200 but the GM felt bad that his Service Manager didn't do right by me on a couple occasions. They ended up giving me the parts at cost and ate some labor.

The prices have come way down and this new motor is almost paid off and I'm thinking about chancing it again by doing a tune. The new motor has 8k miles and 11 track days on it and has been strong /knockonwood

Best of luck moving forward!

Sponsored

jrock

The
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Blue EB
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to hear about another one.. When mine blew over 2 years ago my dealer charged me $6200 for a complete new motor and installation. The original price was $8200 but the GM felt bad that his Service Manager didn't do right by me on a couple occasions. They ended up giving me the parts at cost and ate some labor.

The prices have come way down and this new motor is almost paid off and I'm thinking about chancing it again by doing a tune. The new motor has 8k miles and 11 track days on it and has been strong /knockonwood

Yes, waiting on the video with some tune info....:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Datalux

Datalux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Did the new install include a new turbo?

OP
OP
Datalux

Datalux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, bad news on the Ford Performance tune from Ford Warranty: "We can register this VIN for the Ford Performance warranty, but I did want to remind you that our warranty is for 3 years, 36,000 miles from the original in-service (sale) date of the vehicle which would give you approximately 5,000 miles of warranty based on your odometer."

So warranty starts from the original in-service (sale) date of the vehicle and not based on mileage of the engine itself even if it's dealer installed and brand new. Guess I missed that part... <sigh>

Sponsored

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Well, bad news on the Ford Performance tune from Ford Warranty: "We can register this VIN for the Ford Performance warranty, but I did want to remind you that our warranty is for 3 years, 36,000 miles from the original in-service (sale) date of the vehicle which would give you approximately 5,000 miles of warranty based on your odometer."

So warranty starts from the original in-service (sale) date of the vehicle and not based on mileage of the engine itself even if it's dealer installed and brand new. Guess I missed that part... <sigh>
There is also the question of whether your factory 5 yr/ 60k powertrain warranty will cover any damage caused by the FP tune after the 3 yr / 36k warranty expires. I asked my local dealer that question and got a verbal affermative, but when I asked for confirmation via email (so I would have something in writing) I got crickets...

ewitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB PP SB
AFAIK, the blocks should be identical. The only difference I'm aware of (and it's not a casting difference) is that the PP uses the plug for the block heater for the oil pressure sending unit...and that's also the reason you can't order a PP car with the cold weather package ;) Maybe Ford sells you the long block with the sending unit already in place? :shrug:
I have the PP with a block heater.

firstv8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 grabber blue
Hey Bud sent you a pm, I may be able to help you out. I run a shop about 30 mins from riverside.

OP
OP
Datalux

Datalux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey Bud sent you a pm, I may be able to help you out. I run a shop about 30 mins from riverside.
Thanks man! Fortunately my baby is back in one piece and on the road again. Made it out of the dealer with a new engine, turbo, misc. parts, labor and Ford Performance Pro Cal/Intake installed (labor only) for $6,500.00.

So... now we know what it costs to replace a blown Ecoboost engine. Hope this thread helps someone out in the event of the unthinkable.