Sponsored

Checklist of things to inspect at delivery

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
I'm picking up my '18 GT tomorrow - factory ordered. Can anyone post a checklist of things to inspect before signing the papers? I'm obviously gonna test drive, jts wondering if there are specific things that you look for at delivery. TIA.
Sponsored

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
No need for a check list, just go over the car very carefully.

In other words, make sure it has everything you ordered, (window sticker) and check for any dings.

abbeynormal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PPGT Magnetic
Make sure it's got hood vents. Can't find the thread, but someone here picked up a 15-17 and didn't realized it was missing the hood vents 'til they got it home. :p

Things I'd check for:
Paint defects (with a fine toothed comb)
I wouldn't (and I didn't) let the dealer clean the car's exterior. They could wipe it down with rags that can scratch the heck out of it.
Get it up to 55-70 and make sure there's no drive line vibration
Make sure both (all) keyfobs work/start the car. You'll probably have to leave all but the one being tested far away from the car to be sure your testing the one you think you are testing.
Check/set tire pressure. My 17 with 40+ psi. in all 4 tires.

AMChief5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chief
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT Premium w/ PP
Check your panel gaps. Don't be surprised if some are larger than others but at least bring any inconsistencies to the dealer's attention.

AMChief5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chief
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT Premium w/ PP
Things I'd check for:
I wouldn't (and I didn't) let the dealer clean the car's exterior. They could wipe it down with rags that can scratch the heck out of it.
+1. I drove mine home with all of the shipping tape and paperwork still intact from the factory. A dealer will NEVER touch any of my new cars. Not even a service carwash.

Sponsored

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
As others have stated:
Ensure that the window sticker accurately reflects the optional equipment ordered and check that theses items/functions are indeed present on the car.

Inspection:
1) acceptable panel gaps and fitment - bumpers, hood, trunk and door alignment
2) paint defects (all body panels and wheels) - scratches/nicks, chips, bubbling, poor paint coverage/clear coat finish / check glass for chips and scratches
3) black exterior trim for scratches/scapes/gouges and poor fitment
4) interior leather/cloth for stitching defects and tears/stains
5) interior plastic- dash, door panels, console and decorative trim for chips/scratches
6) air pressure for all tires at proper psi
7) motor oil level is full
8) do not allow the dealership “prep guy” to wash or detail the car.
9) get all of the paperwork that came with the car... and the extra key fob.

If you live in a state that does not require a front license plate, do not let them drill into your front bumper for a dealer “advertisement” plate.
If you do not want the dealer sticker applied to your car, tell them that.

Test drive the car...at speed to check for the dreaded driveline vibration and check all features and functions for proper operation.

Leave the dealership with a full tank of gas and a smile on your face!

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Don't let the dealership "prep" the car. Don't let them touch it.

Take it home and clean it up yourself. Get a voucher for a free 4-wheel alignment.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Check and make sure both doors open...

I had to take my 2017 back to the dealer because the alignment was off on the passenger door and it rubbed and took off a little paint they also had to fix as well.

Panel gaps were #1 for me to check.

johnson.ba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Track Pack
My factory ordered PP car came with a CS strut tower brace that I didn't notice for about 2 months. I can't tell a difference in them except for the plaque that says its a CS brace so i never mentioned it when I found out.

scott6809

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTCS
I'm picking up my '18 GT tomorrow - factory ordered. Can anyone post a checklist of things to inspect before signing the papers? I'm obviously gonna test drive, jts wondering if there are specific things that you look for at delivery. TIA.

When I went to pick up my 16 at the dealer i didn't see any issues. I got home and removed the rear license plate to wax the car and found 2 drilled holes in the bumper under the plate. I guess the guy prepping the car didn't see the factory screw holes and drilled his own, then ended up using the factory holes once he saw them. I called my sales rep and he said he didn't think it was a big deal to tell me because it was behind the plate.

I guess for most people that would be the case, but I SPECIFICALLY told him not to drill any holes or put a dealer sticker/logo on the car. They offered to remove, repair and paint bumper but I figured it may be worse or something else would happen during that process. Anyway they gave me 3 yrs sat radio and a Mustang car cover..

My wife thought I was crazy for putting up a stink about it, but damn it was a BRAND NEW CAR...

Good luck

Sponsored

WaltA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT Convertible
When I went to pick up my 16 at the dealer i didn't see any issues. I got home and removed the rear license plate to wax the car and found 2 drilled holes in the bumper under the plate. I guess the guy prepping the car didn't see the factory screw holes and drilled his own, then ended up using the factory holes once he saw them. I called my sales rep and he said he didn't think it was a big deal to tell me because it was behind the plate.
Reminds me, we don't have front plates. However, all to often, the dealer will drill out for a front plate, for the only purpose of mounting their own ad plate. :paddle:

WaltA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT Convertible
My factory ordered PP car came with a CS strut tower brace that I didn't notice for about 2 months. I can't tell a difference in them except for the plaque that says its a CS brace so i never mentioned it when I found out.
Being a Mustang fan for so many years, I remember all stories/posts of the factory mistakes that seem to make it all the way to the customer's hands.

Front seat upholstery doesn't match the rear. The front buckets' upholstery not matching each other. Trim/emblems on the left side, not matching the right side. Wheels not matching. And so on. :doh:

Vato

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Saleen White Label
Vehicle Showcase
On the flip side about not letting the dealer detail prep your car, someone awhile back posted pics of paint defects that you couldn’t see because it was hidden in all that dirt. I’ve never had any issues with a dealer detail before pick up. Just make sure they hand wash and not run it through a machine.

Out of all the items to check, I’ll second the oil level.
Sponsored