Sponsored

2015-17 Mustang GT Ford Performance Power Packs

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Why not go with the Stage 3? The RPM gains alone are worth the cost even if the peak power was flat. You can stay in gear longer (longer legs as they say) and there's a HUGE area under the power curve you gaining. I"ll bet a Stage 3 GT would tie a new gen 6 Camaro or even beat it out on the 1/4 mile.
Because the PP3 is almost $2,000. I rather purchase the PP2 now and then upgrade the intake manifold after 60,000 miles when I'm out of warranty. Levittown Ford has the GT350 IM for $977.50. That's an almost $1,000 difference just by waiting until you're out of warranty and going with an afternoon tune. The 2018 GT IM looks to be even superior to the GT350 IM and it's only $243.07.

https://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/oem-parts/ford-manifold-asy-inlet-jr3z9424a
Sponsored

Last edited:

AppoTheApple

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tien
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT DIB
Hi, all! I just got my car back from the shop yesterday with my PP2 installed and today I got to spent around 4 hours just cruising (in rush hour traffic, weeee). I was just wondering if anyone with an automatic has a problem with the car almost feeling like it's going to stall. I don't know what causes it for sure, but it almost feels like it's shifting up when it's not suppose to. The revs will hang at around 1500-2000 RPM for a second before moving again, causing a bit of a jerking motion. It only occurs when I am going slow, but not all the time. Pretty weird.

Last edited:

kidamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt 10 sp auto
Anyone know??

Why not go with the Stage 3? The RPM gains alone are worth the cost even if the peak power was flat. You can stay in gear longer (longer legs as they say) and there's a HUGE area under the power curve you gaining. I"ll bet a Stage 3 GT would tie a new gen 6 Camaro or even beat it out on the 1/4 mile.
The above with the PP3 can the older cars hang with the new ss with the upgrade??

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
3/36 from the date you originally purchased the car and only if installed by an ASE certified mechanic.

However, I am still confused and even dealers don't seem to have a consistent answer as to - does it mean your power train warranty gets reduced from 5/60 to 3/36, does it mean the power pack itself is warrantied for 3/36 and the power train stays at 5/60 or what does it mean?!!!

The language on the warranty itself seems vague and open to interpretation - which may be intentional.

Some on here say it is up to the dealer themselves. I have a PP2 sitting at home and can't decide whether or not to have it installed. I have a 2015 but only have 18k miles on it. Would love to have a definitive answer from Ford.
It means for any possible defect attributed to the FRPP Power Pack the warranty is like you said, 3/36k. That means any powertrain defect not attributed to the PP is covered under normal 5/60. Any defect that is due to the PP after the FRPP 3/36 expires is on you no matter what. For example if the car develops a lean condition that burns a valve at 4 years from date of vehicle purchase, and the dealer attributes it to the PP, then it's on you. Now say that situation happens and you have the engine completely stock, then you're covered by the 5/60 until it expires. So yes, installing an FRPP PP opens you up to potential situations you may be liable for after 3/36 even if you're still within the 5/60. The only way to have total peace of mind is to not modify what-so-ever. Hope that helps.

Sc00ter

Sc00ter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow GT Premium w/50th Appearance
It means for any possible defect attributed to the FRPP Power Pack the warranty is like you said, 3/36k. That means any powertrain defect not attributed to the PP is covered under normal 5/60. Any defect that is due to the PP after the FRPP 3/36 expires is on you no matter what. For example if the car develops a lean condition that burns a valve at 4 years from date of vehicle purchase, and the dealer attributes it to the PP, then it's on you. Now say that situation happens and you have the engine completely stock, then you're covered by the 5/60 until it expires. So yes, installing an FRPP PP opens you up to potential situations you may be liable for after 3/36 even if you're still within the 5/60. The only way to have total peace of mind is to not modify what-so-ever. Hope that helps.
Yes. It's like any other aftermarket tune, except that the pp2 parts themselves will be covered under the car's original 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty when installed by a dealer or ASE certified mechanic. (You have 18,000 miles left)
:amen:

Sponsored

tedj101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby 350GT Steeda springs, sways, camber plates, toe links etc: 14 BMW 328d
Yes. It's like any other aftermarket tune, except that the pp2 parts themselves will be covered under the car's original 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty when installed by a dealer or ASE certified mechanic. (You have 18,000 miles left)
:amen:
In my experience, it is a very good warranty. Yes, I have experience with it - Ford just replaced my engine (short block) and it was handled very professionally. One huge advantage of the FP Power Packs is that you have a warranty from one source for the whole thing (Ford). That eliminates finger pointing. While they do try to figure out what the cause was internally and attribute "blame" internally during the process, it is pretty transparent to the end user.

<TED>

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
In my experience, it is a very good warranty. Yes, I have experience with it - Ford just replaced my engine (short block) and it was handled very professionally. One huge advantage of the FP Power Packs is that you have a warranty from one source for the whole thing (Ford). That eliminates finger pointing. While they do try to figure out what the cause was internally and attribute "blame" internally during the process, it is pretty transparent to the end user.

<TED>
You can't just leave us hanging like that, what happened to your engine? Do you blame the PP2 or do you think it would have happened without it?

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP

<TED>
Definitely let us know the end result.

tedj101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby 350GT Steeda springs, sways, camber plates, toe links etc: 14 BMW 328d
You can't just leave us hanging like that, what happened to your engine? Do you blame the PP2 or do you think it would have happened without it?
Well, that's a good question and if I had a definitive answer, I would have expressed it. The car had the top blow off the #8 piston (perhaps "blow" is too strong a word - pieces came off the top and down the side as well). Oddly, the car threw a P0308 code which indicates a misfire on #8 cylinder, but it really didn't feel like there was a serious problem with the car. I brought it to the dealer that had installed the PP2 and even after driving it, they were not at all sure that there was anything seriously wrong. Ford Performance told them to send the PCM to them and they checked it out. It was fine. Consequently, it didn't appear that the problem was caused by the PP2. Then Ford told the dealership to start tearing it down. When they got the left head off, it was evident that there was a serious problem. I don't believe they ever came up with a definitive answer as to what was wrong. While the whole process took quite a while (about a month total), they did stand behind it. I was very impressed with the professional attitude of the dealership in particular (Elkton Ford in Elkton MD).

<TED>
<TED>

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Well, that's a good question and if I had a definitive answer, I would have expressed it. The car had the top blow off the #8 piston (perhaps "blow" is too strong a word - pieces came off the top and down the side as well). Oddly, the car threw a P0308 code which indicates a misfire on #8 cylinder, but it really didn't feel like there was a serious problem with the car. I brought it to the dealer that had installed the PP2 and even after driving it, they were not at all sure that there was anything seriously wrong. Ford Performance told them to send the PCM to them and they checked it out. It was fine. Consequently, it didn't appear that the problem was caused by the PP2. Then Ford told the dealership to start tearing it down. When they got the left head off, it was evident that there was a serious problem. I don't believe they ever came up with a definitive answer as to what was wrong. While the whole process took quite a while (about a month total), they did stand behind it. I was very impressed with the professional attitude of the dealership in particular (Elkton Ford in Elkton MD).

<TED>
<TED>
Aside from the time taken an overall positive outcome. Thanks for the info.

Sponsored

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP

<TED>
<TED>
If you don't mind my asking, what was the mileage? Trying to understand if it was in the Ford Performance 3/36 or the Standard Powertrain Warranty of 5/60.

tedj101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Aside from the time taken an overall positive outcome. Thanks for the info.
Oh, I definitely look at it as a positive outcome!

<TED>

tedj101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
If you don't mind my asking, what was the mileage? Trying to understand if it was in the Ford Performance 3/36 or the Standard Powertrain Warranty of 5/60.
Mileage was about 20,000. That puts it squarely within the 3/36 period.

<TED>

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem/auto - triple yellow convert
Hi, all! I just got my car back from the shop yesterday with my PP2 installed and today I got to spent around 4 hours just cruising (in rush hour traffic, weeee). I was just wondering if anyone with an automatic has a problem with the car almost feeling like it's going to stall. I don't know what causes it for sure, but it almost feels like it's shifting up when it's not suppose to. The revs will hang at around 1500-2000 RPM for a second before moving again, causing a bit of a jerking motion. It only occurs when I am going slow, but not all the time. Pretty weird.
No, I have it installed on my automatic GT, and for several months now, it has been perfect. That is definitely not normal. Yes, in sport+ it shifts different...hanging back longer, and upshifting more aggressively, as well as engine braking. But that is all supposed to happen, and makes it more aggressive and more controlled. I love it!

I don't know if it would make a difference, but do you have an oil separator installed? I get quite a bit of blow-by oil in mine, that does not go back into the engine. :cool:

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
No, I have it installed on my automatic GT, and for several months now, it has been perfect. That is definitely not normal. Yes, in sport+ it shifts different...hanging back longer, and upshifting more aggressively, as well as engine braking. But that is all supposed to happen, and makes it more aggressive and more controlled. I love it!

I don't know if it would make a difference, but do you have an oil separator installed? I get quite a bit of blow-by oil in mine, that does not go back into the engine. :cool:
I think I may have that on occasion. Like when I’m in a parking lot and going like 7 mph or so it hangs at 1500 rpm, th car doesn’t move any faster but it’s sitting at a higher rpm then normal. It could be a hang or it could be lower gear, since it’s an auto I couldn’t tell. Once I gas or brake it goes back to normal.
Sponsored