Sponsored

PP2 GT in what autocross class?

PRE-Z06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99&'00 FRC
Hopefully this hasn't already been covered as I'm new here, but was curious if anyone knows where it'll end up initially? Obviously the original cup2 tires wont be eligible in any street tire class, but wondering if PP1 wheels/tires were swapped on could it still qualify for FS being the 2018 is staying there it appears?
Sponsored

Last edited:

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Wheels alone aren't going to make a PP2 essentially a PP1 and eligible for the same classing. You'd have to convert everything back to PP1 spec (suspension, aero, tuning) to run in FS at this time since the car hasn't been classed to my knowledge.

Where would it end up in Street? Idk, AS with the GT350 or maybe BS is my guess.

Steeda Tech JohnC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gt's and ST's
No official word from the SEB yet, like steve said, i wouldn't be surprised if it gets put in AS, i'm fairly confident it wont be an FS car

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
AS maybe, as the SS 1LE is there.

OP
OP

PRE-Z06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99&'00 FRC
Wheels alone aren't going to make a PP2 essentially a PP1 and eligible for the same classing. You'd have to convert everything back to PP1 spec (suspension, aero, tuning) to run in FS at this time since the car hasn't been classed to my knowledge.

Where would it end up in Street? Idk, AS with the GT350 or maybe BS is my guess.
Didn't think it would though the PP1 can be configured with the mag ride, but not sure if the lowered ride height is from different springs or just shorter tires and is it both sway bars or just one that is upgraded on the PP2? Imagine it will end up in AS like the 1LE/GT350 and not be competitive, but BS would be interesting.

Sponsored

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Didn't think it would though the PP1 can be configured with the mag ride, but not sure if the lowered ride height is from different springs or just shorter tires and is it both sway bars or just one that is upgraded on the PP2? Imagine it will end up in AS like the 1LE/GT350 and not be competitive, but BS would be interesting.
I read this page and it looks to me like different springs, bars, wheels, aero and tuning. So, quite a bit of potential differences depending on actual production spec.

http://performance.ford.com/enthusiasts/media-room/2017/10/mustang-gt-performance-pack-2.html

Speciality models like this are tough for autocrossers. It's a cool car but may not fit well with others competitively. Then, if you go to a higher prep level class you throw out all the stuff that makes it a cool car in stock form.

OP
OP

PRE-Z06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99&'00 FRC
I read this page and it looks to me like different springs, bars, wheels, aero and tuning. So, quite a bit of potential differences depending on actual production spec.

http://performance.ford.com/enthusiasts/media-room/2017/10/mustang-gt-performance-pack-2.html

Speciality models like this are tough for autocrossers. It's a cool car but may not fit well with others competitively. Then, if you go to a higher prep level class you throw out all the stuff that makes it a cool car in stock form.
For sure, hard to find a car that fits all bills. Looks like the official brochure that was recently released confirms that though not as specific as the link you provided, thanks for sharing.
https://www.ford.com/services/assets/Brochure?make=Ford&model=Mustang&year=2018

Last edited:

Mach4.6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350R, 11' GT500, 07' GT500, 04' Mach 1
Obviously the original cup2 tires wont be eligible in any street tire class, but wondering if PP1 wheels/tires were swapped on could it still qualify for FS being the 2018 is staying there it appears?
My R came with Cup 2's which were legal in SS per the rules because they were the original tire but you can't run them in CAM
It probably will fall in AS?

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I'd bet on AS for 2018... where it will be uncompetitive, maybe bottom of trophies at a national event with a great driver. :(

Cup 2s are legal for local events (assuming your local club uses SCCA rules), not national stuff. They're not great autocross tires because they take a bit of heat to work, but they do work quite nicely for track use.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'd bet on AS for 2018... where it will be uncompetitive, maybe bottom of trophies at a national event with a great driver. :(

Cup 2s are legal for local events (assuming your local club uses SCCA rules), not national stuff. They're not great autocross tires because they take a bit of heat to work, but they do work quite nicely for track use.
Yeah it'll be rough in AS. I imagine it's difficult for the GT350 in AZ as it is. Changing to RE71Rs would be wise, unless you're in Phoenix lol.

Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
It's worse on the road racing side. The only stock s550 Mustang that would be legal off the shelf (with appropriate safety equip) is the V6. It's like the Sports Car Club of AMERICA is against American cars.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
It's worse on the road racing side. The only stock s550 Mustang that would be legal off the shelf (with appropriate safety equip) is the V6. It's like the Sports Car Club of AMERICA is against American cars.
:doh:

lizardman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

PRE-Z06