Sponsored

My R Journey

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
After being a caretaker for H2614 the past year and a half, and with the gracious help of Tomster, I recently secured an open allocation for an ’18 R. For those still holding out hope of putting a new R in their garage, there’s still time – but you have to be open to a reasonable deal and willing to move quickly when it comes along. If (and it’s a BIG if) this is the last year for the GT350, then time is running out to be the original owner of an R, so don’t wait too much longer if that is what you really want.

I’ve owned a string of Mustangs – classics to modern – including a former Bob Bondurant school car (’01 Roush GT) that I used for track-days, time-trials, and instructing HPDE, as well as a vintage racer ’65 fastback that I’m building now. A couple years ago, I decided I wanted something street legal I could drive to and from track-days just a few times each season and the (then) newly announced GT350R seemed perfect. After watching the market and reaching out to some Ford dealership contacts in my area, the huge ADMs, limited allocations, and my inability to get in early enough on one to order exactly what I wanted kept pushing me away… and almost into a Grand Sport Corvette. But, I lucked out by finding a base standard GT350 that had just landed at a small dealership a couple hours away in Wisconsin and they offered it to me below MSRP, which was a great deal at the time. So, I was a GT350 owner, but never gave up my desire for an R.

There’s no right or wrong way to spec out a GT350; standard or R, these things are just magical. They combine all that is great about the Mustang with a subliminal character and an extrovert’s personality. My own taste for fun cars always leans towards the most bare-bones version available, which is why the base R gets my nod. In addition, I prefer the darker colors (H2614 is Shadow Black), so I went with Magnetic. I really like the large metallic flake in that color (almost bass boat grade) and think it looks stunning in the sun. And while many think it’s just not a Shelby without stripes, this one'll go naked.

Through this forum, I found a bunch of great guys who share their enthusiasm for all things GT350, as well as many who regularly offer leads and help those intent on bagging the unicorn. Just when it seemed I’d missed the window, I was able to jump on a reasonable deal that one of those guys posted. Thanks to him, I’ll soon get the car of my dreams and it’ll be one of the last base-model Rs, since federal law requires all cars built after April ’18 to have a back-up camera (Ford is mandating the full electronics package and everything that comes with it).

First step was last week when I put down a sizeable deposit. I have an order number and priority code, but no DORA, VIN or production date. I’ve been checking COTUS and the order isn’t showing up there yet, but I called Ford Performance and they assured me that it’s in the system waiting to be picked. I’m hoping to hear from the dealership soon with news that the regional rep has agreed to pick it and move things along. I’ll keep you guys posted so that anyone who is interested can join me for the ride. Thanks again to all who helped me get here and best of luck to those still searching!
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Congratulations Chris! I look forward to many posts. If I can help in any way, (delivery inspections, expeditor, etc) please reach out. Maybe an R rally when you take delivery?

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JR101 Kona Blue R Sold 1/21/19 New 2019;Ruby Red Raptor
Congrats on getting exactly what you want! Your post was spot on owning a 350 or 350R is special and as you stated both are magical cars.

I recently went from a 350 to 350R and am extremely happy I was able to acquire the R. Having a little seat time now there are definite differences between the two.

The most noticeable difference for me is the suspension tuning just seems much more precise. even with stiffer springs and cup tires the ride quality is greatly improved. Now the cup 2s in the corners make the car feel like its on Velcro. The carbon wheels make steering lighter as well.

Then there is just the cool factor of R in any color or combination the car just has a much more aggressive look with the performance to match.

I was thinking of modifying my 350 with wheels and other items but it still would never be a R not that there is anything wrong with that!

I know you will be chomping at the bit to take delivery in future but I think you find the wait will be worth the reward!

fuhrius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, Focus RS, Raptor
congrats. I drove the R to work today and, 26 months into ownership, it still puts a HUGE smile on my face every time. Magnetic is a terrific color.

jefc73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff GTFO_0019
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Congrats. :cheers:Love my R. Ya a meet up this summer with only R's would be really cool. :thumbsup:

Sponsored

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
If it makes you feel any better, I've been waiting 5-1/2 months and still don't have my car in Cotus and/or get something from Ford Performance. So after a week of waiting on your part, you'll get no sympathy from me. :)

My wife tells me that waiting this long for something like this "builds character". lol. All it has done is make me anxious I think.

Congrats again and I look forward to watching someone else go through the process! :cheers:

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
If it makes you feel any better, I've been waiting 5-1/2 months and still don't have my car in Cotus and/or get something from Ford Performance. So after a week of waiting on your part, you'll get no sympathy from me. :)

My wife tells me that waiting this long for something like this "builds character". lol. All it has done is make me anxious I think.

Congrats again and I look forward to watching someone else go through the process! :cheers:
Ha - and you know what I told you the other day - my wait was over 10 months :( Worth it - and like people told me back then, once you have it, you forget about the wait. I've had it for 19 months now...seems like yesterday.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Ha - and you know what I told you the other day - my wait was over 10 months :( Worth it - and like people told me back then, once you have it, you forget about the wait. I've had it for 19 months now...seems like yesterday.
Ha! I got both of you, almost a year and a half. :lol:

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar
Congrats and thanks for sharing your story! I hope your wait is tolerable and goes quickly!

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Chris, congrats on your upcoming R model and I look forward to hearing more as your base model proceeds through the various channels of production at FR.

Having said that stay close to your dealership and also with FP with respect to your cars production timeline as many of these upcoming R models are presently on "Material Hold" with not much information as to whether the reason is CF wheels, rear spoilers, Cup 2 tires, etc.

Once production in FR starts back up in March I would suggest that we will have a ~6 week window in order to get our base cars through production prior to the April 30th deadline which may sound like a lot but in all reality is not a long time at FR therefore we need to be in constant contact with our respective contacts at Ford in order to get our cars through production in time.

Going forward I will provide you with any information that I receive over the next month or so and would ask that you do that same and if all goes as planned we will be in good shape.

Good luck as it will be an interesting ride over the next 2 or 3 months!

:cheers:

Sponsored

oldmachguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Agree with what others said: the R is special. I DD mine. It gets constant attention. Saturday, some guy turning past us at an intersection honked and gave us a thumbs up. Today, on the way to the office, a guy in a panel van filmed me on the freeway, then honked and gave a thumbs up. Then on the way home, in traffic, two people photographed me from behind. I'm not an attention seeker, quite the opposite. But it's a bit of a hoot. And the car is an absolute blast to drive. You're going to love it.:thumbsup:

snaproll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
350R/88LX/FR500S
Ha! I got both of you, almost a year and a half. :lol:
You guys are all better connected. ;) I made the mistake of not getting a screenshot of the COTUS but it was mid 2015 and I finally got the car last July.:headbonk:

Congratulations to you Muligan! Great location close to RA, Putnam, and Blackhawk...

It’s super cool that you got the stripper you wanted. There won’t be anymore cars this raw. Some rejoice in the vibration, but even here there are complaints. So there will be no more flat plane cranks. Get them while you can.

OP
OP
Muligan

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys - I sure do feel blessed to be able to join the ranks of R owners. Not sure how you guys who put in an order and waited so long were able to handle it, but I guess this forum helps... sort of a vicarious way of enjoying the car until it actually arrives.

I thought I knew a fair amount about what is left off when only the base package is specified, but I recently came across a couple things that have me wondering.

Does a base R come without a rear window defroster element? It appears that the switch is missing in some of the pics I've seen, so thinking this may be the case.

Also, does the gloss black trunk trim panel just have a non-functioning camera in it or does it have a blocking plug / no opening for a camera at all?

OP
OP
Muligan

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Disregard the rear defog question - I found a better picture of the instrument panel on a base R and saw that it's the A/C button in the lower left that is blocked out, not the rear window defog button (which is top center in that cluster).

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Wait, wouldn't the rear defogger add weight? Is a base car really a full experience with a defogger?
Sponsored