My R Journey

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Better yet, don't touch the car at all. The air force master blaster by metrovac does a great job. Heated high velocity air blows the water away. I haven't chamois'd a car in a while now
Same here!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Muligan

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
Xpel going on now.... this is Tim working on the passenger side earlier today. it's just after 6:00 pm and he's nearly done, but will stick around this evening until he finishes the rear quarter strike areas.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I have gone both routes as have used my Master Blaster on its own and being old school have used just a wash mitt and chamois to dry the cars.

Personally for me I find a combination of a chamois and Master Blaster works best. Where I really like the Master Blaster is around the windows, windshield, lights, lugs nuts, wheels and any tight areas as it does a terrific job of exiting moisture from tight areas.

As far as a chamois scratching the paint surface I have never have had an issue with that and have been detailing cars a very long time.

Of course the key is to having absolutely no grit either on your car, wash mitt or chamois when it is being washed or dried and can tell you that I am very anal about keeping all of my wash mitts and chamois very clean and wash them regularly.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Chris,

What areas are you having done? Whole car?

OP
OP
Muligan

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chris,

What areas are you having done? Whole car?
It has the full nose, partial hood and fenders, mirrors, door edge guards, a bigger than normal area on the front of the rear quarters / rockers (for rocks thrown by the front wheels), and the lower sides of the rear bumper behind the rear wheels.

Tim told me that Xpel came out with an improved material last year and it really shows in how invisible the edges are, even on a dark color like Magnetic.

He also left me a bunch of extra material so that I can use it on other projects.

The bonus was that he did all of this for 800 bucks.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
It has the full nose, partial hood and fenders, mirrors, door edge guards, a bigger than normal area on the front of the rear quarters / rockers (for rocks thrown by the front wheels), and the lower sides of the rear bumper behind the rear wheels.

Tim told me that Xpel came out with an improved material last year and it really shows in how invisible the edges are, even on a dark color like Magnetic.

He also left me a bunch of extra material so that I can use it on other projects.

The bonus was that he did all of this for 800 bucks.
Ask him if he'd like a FL vacation......... I still haven't had HR871 done yet

OP
OP
Muligan

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can connect you guys - he does a bunch of stuff for dealerships and Viper, Corvette, Porsche, and BMW club guys and one has even offered to bring him out to Connecticut to do a really high-line car, so he's heading out there.

You've seen his work first-hand, as he did the black car that I traded in.

OP
OP
Muligan

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow - look what arrived just three weeks after I took delivery....

The 2018 version is a bit different from the prior years. Instead of the print of a painting of the '65 and S550 GT350s, it includes the hardcover book, plus it has a flash drive instead of a CD for the videos. It also has a different poster.

I had to laugh, as Mrs. Muligan asked "now what did you buy and how much was it?" I told her it was $70k... but it came with a free car.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Hey PP0001, what colours did you order ? ........... :cheers:
I was trying to have JR157 match up to F0077 as close as possible with respect to Shadow Black and Blue OTT stripes.

Of course JR157 was still waiting for a CF wing and CF wheels when this picture was taken.

The Blue stripes on the 2015 were DIB with the Blue stripes on the 2018 being LB which are a little lighter Blue from the DIB stripes but still very happy just the same and very excited and appreciative to get them both together down the road.

:cheers:
JR157.jpeg
DSCF1584.JPG

1Bad_ShelbyR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Gt350R
Hey Tom, if Chris sends you Tim down to Florida........ tell him to

come up here once he’s done ...... I’ll put aside a couple of cases of

Canadian Labatt 50 ..... :cheers:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Muligan

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey Tom, if Chris sends you Tim down to Florida........ tell him to

come up here once he’s done ...... I’ll put aside a couple of cases of

Canadian Labatt 50 ..... :cheers:
Everyone has their price - if you're serious, PM me and I'll send you his contact info. You never know where he may want to travel next.

OP
OP
Muligan

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now that the Xpel is just about done, I finally put the splitter on. Since I bought an R splitter for my last car and I pulled it off before trading that car in, I installed the used one on the R and saved the one that is still wrapped up.

Tim the Xpel guy is coming back this weekend to give it a once-over and remove any bubbles that haven't worked their way out, plus finish the installation by covering the mirrors and the door edges. So far, it looks great - I could't be happier and it gives real piece of mind.

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
Now that the Xpel is just about done, I finally put the splitter on. Since I bought an R splitter for my last car and I pulled it off before trading that car in, I installed the used one on the R and saved the one that is still wrapped up.

Tim the Xpel guy is coming back this weekend to give it a once-over and remove any bubbles that haven't worked their way out, plus finish the installation by covering the mirrors and the door edges. So far, it looks great - I could't be happier and it gives real piece of mind.
Man, magnetic looks great :thumbsup:

If you have not done the lower part of the doors, consider it. You will thank me later :) I am talking about the highlighted area (in addition to front of the rear fenders which I understand you already did).
IMG_0909 (1).jpg

1Bad_ShelbyR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Gt350R
Everyone has their price - if you're serious, PM me and I'll send you his contact info. You never know where he may want to travel next.
Thanks Chris for the offer ........ I’m probably to far away for Tim ........ :cheers:

I am curious though to know how long did it take to install the front splitter

and was it easy going ......... any tips ........:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Muligan

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Chris for the offer ........ I’m probably to far away for Tim ........ :cheers:

I am curious though to know how long did it take to install the front splitter

and was it easy going ......... any tips ........:thumbsup:
This is the second time I installed the splitter (I previously installed and removed it from H2614), so I had a bit of experience and looked closely at how all the tabs work. That and the videos that are on youtube really made the difference.

The first time I installed it (on the old car), it took me just over an hour. This time, it was just under a half hour start-to-finish.

Three tips that I can think of to make it much easier....

1) When you are setting it in place, make sure all of the tabs are going into the correct slots - even the small 1/4" one that is at the front center. You'll probably need to push up slightly as you use the mallet and shop rag method to make the click-tabs lock into place to ensure that the 1/4" tab makes it into the slot properly.

2) Use something sticky in your socket wrench to hold the screws when you're putting in the ones that are up inside the splitter - both the vertical and the 45 degree ones. I use a tiny bit of butyl rubber (3M strip caulk). You can do the same thing with a little tape or other products - just make sure that you're holding those screws steady when getting them up into the holes.

3) A lift is a life saver for this - it's possible to do it on jack stands, but having it on a lift will give you lots of flexibility to get the car to proper work height - I raised and lowered it a couple times during the installation to get it just where I wanted it... especially when reaching inside to get those half moon locking pins in place as you really have to fish your arm in a ways to reach the holes.
Sponsored