Sponsored

Sensor failings. You could have one too!

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
For install it is recommended you do it when the engine is completely cool and line is depressurized, also there is less chance of stripping since metal expands when hot. Spray small amount of WD-40 let it sit for a few minutes. Now when attempting to unscrew with the socket make it's not at an angle, you want to be perfectly flush and also make sure you're holding the 12mm wrench tight, once it breaks free you should be able to unscrew by hand. Since no one can find torque specs you simply torque it back to the same position it was in before, prime the line by pressing the on/off a few times without actually starting the car. Obviously once you start it up check make sure no fuel is gushing out also do check for the next few days to make sure and you're pretty much done, one of the easiest jobs you can do with a little common sense.
Thanks for the instructions. The installation is pretty straight forward, a 5’ to 10’ work, but a few guidelines from someone who has already done it always helps :thumbsup:
Sponsored

kart3l

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15'Mustang Ecoboost PP
Do you guys know if this can be checked with an OBD monitoring device?

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Do you guys know if this can be checked with an OBD monitoring device?
Check the lowside data if you can.

FWIW my sensor arrived today, first night the car is not with me for the next two nights. FML.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Does anyone have evidence beyond speculation that a malfunction of this device is the primary cause of their EcoBoom? I understand people claim to have data logging a lean condition, which can certainly lead to catastrophic engine failure, but is there any evidence that the failure of this sensor was the primary cause? Has a failure of one of these sensors caused an engine failure on a stock motor?
Anyone?

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
How can anyone have that evidence? The fact that the sensor can fail was only recently reported. Also, what you are asking implies that people with blown motors were monitoring their sensors' behaviour before their engine blew.

On the other hand several people in these forums and on FB groups have reported that their sensor acts strange.

I prefer to be proactive and I will change my sensor as soon as I receive it. As many have already said, it's cheap insurance.

Sponsored

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros

The problem is you asking for a lab experiment where it can be verified by Jesus, we know the sensor CAN cause a catastrophic failure and we know of people have HAVE verified bad sensors. You want to flirt with "saving a buck to lose a thousand" that's your business.

Since you mention stock engines reminds me of a member here that claimed his engine was stock and it blew not once but twice not long after the first replacement, that never sat well with me, I can't help to think it was attributed to the sensor.

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
I remember that as well. My first thought was that this sensor could've been the culprit and Ford swept it under the rug.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
The problem is you asking for a lab experiment where it can be verified by
I'm not asking for an experiment, I'm asking if anyone has datalogs in the moments leading up to an engine failure (or other actionable evidence) that indicates this sensor is the primary culprit. I realize it would be luck and happenstance, but there are a lot of people running equipment capable of collecting the data, and it would certainly make risk assessment easier.

Jesus, we know the sensor CAN cause a catastrophic failure
Do we? On tuned engines, or stock engines, or both? I've seen NO EVIDENCE that this issue can cause catastrophic engine failure on a stock engine. Even for tuned engines it's really only speculation, albeit well-founded speculation in some cases (thanks Juben). Since you like speculation, how's this: Is it possible that the stock tuning is conservative enough to prevent engine damage in the event this sensor fails? It seems likely to me that Ford's engineers would include failsafes in the programming for just such occurrences.

You want to flirt with "saving a buck to lose a thousand" that's your business.
Nope, not it. At all. I'm evaluating a yet-to-be fully understood, and therefore incalculable risk while preserving my warranty, which is worth far more than a thousand bucks.

Since you mention stock engines reminds me of a member here that claimed his engine was stock and it blew not once but twice not long after the first replacement, that never sat well with me, I can't help to think it was attributed to the sensor.
Marvinmadman said:
I remember that as well. My first thought was that this sensor could've been the culprit and Ford swept it under the rug.
More unfounded claims, rumors, hearsay and fear mongering; I can't help but to think my first thought, which is that you two are really reaching here. How could you possibly know what caused this person's engine failure? Do you think Ford isn't aware this issue is being widely discussed on open forums? How could Ford possibly "sweep under the rug" something that is already public, and why would it do so when such a cheap/easy fix is available? Doesn't it make more sense that Ford knows this isn't an issue with stock motors and doesn't really care if people blow up their modded engines since they make money selling replacement engines?

Gee, now I see why you do it; speculation is fun! :p

Kidding aside, what I see is a few well-founded assumptions--but no real evidence--that a sensor failure MIGHT have caused engine damage on tuned engines. At the same time, I see at least one instance of an owner causing ACTUAL damage attempting to replace said sensor. If my car were tuned and out of warranty Juben's data-based assumptions might be enough to take action--I get that. But since I'm not tuned and still under warranty I'll continue to wait for more definitive evidence.

If someone comes across data demonstrating an engine failure caused by this sensor--especially a stock engine--please post. I'll continue my inquiries and post any definitive, authoritative answers I get. In the meantime, I'm in lurk mode on this topic.

kart3l

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15'Mustang Ecoboost PP
I, like Torque Man find the conspiracy theory of Ford knowing this problem very odd. Do you think they would risk a $7K engine by avoiding a simple recall that involves swapping out a $10 part? I don't think so....

On the contrary though, I am up for changing this part. It is not like we are swapping a non-OEM part.... And it has been endorsed by multiple tuners. But yes, I also would like to see graphs and "proof" that this sensor is indeed the one that is causing the ecobooms.

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
I honestly feel Torque Man is asking a legitimate question. I just don’t see how your going to get a definitive answer anytime soon. And let’s face it, if Torque Man does nothing with his sensor, the odds of anything happening to his engine are pretty remote right? I mean, do we even know how many engines have gone boom? 100?, a 1,000?, more? Out of what, (guessing) around 150,000 cars sold?

Just for fun, let’s say Ford got a bad batch of sensors from it’s vendor, stuff like this happens a lot. Why would they recall it?

I’m pulling these numbers out of my butt, so just play along. Let’s say Ford has sold 150,000 2015-2017 EB’s. Let’s say average cost of sensor and labor across the country is $180.00 ( scheduling, parts, mechanics, etc.). That’s $27 million dollars. Then factor in the whole recall procedure, admin, legal, mailings, etc. Then factor in the bad publicity as it’s going to be reported everywhere that Ford has a recall out. Then factor in all the miscellaneous stuff like newly clogged up services bays and whatever else.

This is very simplistic of course, but you get the idea, a recall is a big deal. And, this is all assuming Ford actually has hard data that this sensor is known to fail in large numbers, which we don’t know.

How many blown engines could Ford warranty with 27,000,000 at 7,000 a pop? Around 3,857. Have that many blown?

Anyways, this is just for fun. Don’t take it to seriously. I’m stuck at home, bored. But I did get my new sensor yesterday :-)

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Hassle of new block at dealer vs potential saving that hassle for $20... Bearing in mind we're happy to splooge hundereds on fucking mods, why are people fannying over something that's dirt cheap, dirt easy to install. Good lawd.

(I'm a Business Analyst by trade so i question and analyse everything, but this is peanuts for me to even bother considering.

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
I'm all for evidence but sometimes having partial evidence is enough to take action on on something that is extremely easy than waiting to see if your going to be a victim. It's clear he has no intention of taking any action no matter what evidence is presented here aside from Ford CEO calling him directly, he's always going to up the ante; "well I don't know you, what are your credentials? how do I know the proof is legit?", it's almost just trolling.

[MENTION=16750]Redcruzer[/MENTION]

I completely agree, labor costs to replace all the sensors and possibly the lines would definitely be significantly higher than the said "few bad" sensors incidents. Just look at all the A/C failures and repeat continuing compressor replacements, I have not heard a word from Ford, zip but yea more speculation on our end, Ford is honest and up front when they make mistakes (sarcasm)

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Cost to recall is greater than the cost of the expected failures then no recall. Barely any stock motors blow. Ford doesn't give a rhino's ass crack about. Modded motors, think about all of the ecoboost for the past 4 model years, that's a lot of money spend when the likleyhood of a stock motor going is low. It's not just the cost of the part. It's labor, mailing letters, salaries,... I'm sure they would rather eat a few dozen engines than replace 200,000+ of these things.

40 motors x $7000 per motor = $280,000
200,000 sensors x $15 per sensor = $3,000,000

Just guestimates

ZenkaiRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT AT
Yall thinking that Ford is gonna recall something because a few thousand cars are blowing up are ridiculous.

It's a cost/risk analylis type thing. It will cost them way less to repair peopls blown cars then to recall them all.

Recalls only really happen when lives are at risk. Like with the original recal recited in this post. WHICH HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PROBLEM AT HAND.

That recall posted is only confusing people. It deals with a leaking faulty installed sensor. Which was recalled BECAUSE LIVES WERE AT RISK. FUEL LEAK = LIVES.

This faulty sensor which may or may not trigger a CEL but will enable 16:1 AFR under boost is not a big enough problem for a corporation to do anything about.

If you all think that these types of problems dont happen all the damn time while knowingly not recalling the problems then good luck.

Corporations are only forced to recall problems when its a "life or death" situation. Such as air bags, FUEL LEAKS, ETECERA

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
Yall thinking that Ford is gonna recall something because a few thousand cars are blowing up are ridiculous.

It's a cost/risk analylis type thing. It will cost them way less to repair peopls blown cars then to recall them all.

Recalls only really happen when lives are at risk. Like with the original recal recited in this post. WHICH HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PROBLEM AT HAND.

That recall posted is only confusing people. It deals with a leaking faulty installed sensor. Which was recalled BECAUSE LIVES WERE AT RISK. FUEL LEAK = LIVES.

This faulty sensor which may or may not trigger a CEL but will enable 16:1 AFR under boost is not a big enough problem for a corporation to do anything about.

If you all think that these types of problems dont happen all the damn time while knowingly not recalling the problems then good luck.

Corporations are only forced to recall problems when its a "life or death" situation.
Such as air bags, FUEL LEAKS, ETECERA

Yep.
Sponsored