Sponsored

Is it worth upgrading JL stealth box sub?

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
So the JL stealth box is a nice setup. The sub is rated to 400 RMS. now I was considering upgrading the sub and I have chosen 2 good shallow ones that are in the market. Just want to know if it is worth upgrading the sub?

Alpine SWR-T12

Rockford Fosgate Power T1S2-12
Sponsored

OP
OP
Niz55

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I already have the stealth box and I like to upgrade the sub. I have chosen the Rockford.

2016Gruv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I already have the stealth box and I like to upgrade the sub. I have chosen the Rockford.
Upgrade in what way? What's your goal, improved sound quality, lower freq, louder, something simply more expensive? Just throwing in another driver doesn't always mean a better or louder sound. The drivers you listed are all fairly comparable, though the RF is designed for a somewhat larger enclosure (ported or sealed).

The higher power handling of the Alpine and RF will not be significant in terms of SPL, all else being equal. RF doesn't list the efficiency of their driver either, though I might guess it's ~84dB (same as the other two).

Car audio isn't known for providing meaningful performance specs, so ultimately it's somewhat of a crapshoot whether you'll realize an improvement. Since you already bought the RF, let us know how it turns out.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Are you talking about upgrading the sub that comes with the JL Stealthbox? That's a no.

Sponsored

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
Are you talking about upgrading the sub that comes with the JL Stealthbox? That's a no.
I would agree with this... JL probably spent a fair amount of time optimizing their sub and the Stealthbox enclosure size, so it's likely not going to sound much better with a different driver. That's not to say it won't work, but any improvement will be incremental at best.

OP
OP
Niz55

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
So JL didn't know the cubic feet air space so i had to do it myself. Took out the box and filled it with water. I got 6.2 gallons = 0.828819.

Rockford recommend 1.0 cubic feet. I will add about 1 lbs of Polly fill and should do the trick.
Sponsored