Sponsored

Whipple cricket chirping at start up fixed.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
I left my car a couple days ago at a highly reputable Mustang shop locally to install the new billet tensioner and idler stands. My GT also had a noticeable loudish chirp for at least 5 minutes at cold startup.

Shop told me all was installed and the chirp is gone and the car is really smooth now. They said things were misaligned causing the chirp. I'm picking it up in a couple hours.

The bad news: $620. Sounds high to me. Meaning like a 6hr job to do all of this.
Sponsored

TripleB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Snack Pack- Whipple Stage 2
I left my car a couple days ago at a highly reputable Mustang shop locally to install the new billet tensioner and idler stands. My GT also had a noticeable loudish chirp for at least 5 minutes at cold startup.

Shop told me all was installed and the chirp is gone and the car is really smooth now. They said things were misaligned causing the chirp. I'm picking it up in a couple hours.

The bad news: $620. Sounds high to me. Meaning like a 6hr job to do all of this.
I bet it still is chirping

808muscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Whipple, 2006 GT Blown and cammed
I had some chirping as well after I installed mine. I followed Whipples instuctions to correct it to a T. I now have none or just a couple of chirps at startup then it goes away. Im not worried about it.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Misaligned?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Picked up the car today. It was ready yesterday but I couldn't get down there so they had it in their showroom area.
Started it up cold and zero chirp, whereas before was very loud and lasted at least 5 min.

They told me billet tensioner was bad and they replaced with new one Whipple provided and that pulleys were misaligned by about 5 degrees. They said pulleys were laser aligned to spec.
20 mi drive home, car drove great. Hopefully no chirp when I start it up next time.
Was a cool shop. Had about 20 mustangs in there with all kinds of different projects going on.

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/A6, 2020 Explorer ST
OP how is your chirp fix holding up so far?

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
This was an issue 2 years ago that Whipple solved with new tensioner stands and pulleys. They also had a new more detailed alignment process that would eliminate a lot of install variance. I had the chirp issue and got the new kit followed the procedure and have never heard it since.

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/A6, 2020 Explorer ST
Thank you for that information, and great to hear! I was doing some preliminary research just in case I run into any issues with my kit here shortly. Sounds like all the small issues have been corrected and I should have a very good experience with this kit!

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Thank you for that information, and great to hear! I was doing some preliminary research just in case I run into any issues with my kit here shortly. Sounds like all the small issues have been corrected and I should have a very good experience with this kit!
I agree these issues have been worked out in kits sold for over a year now. Anyone left with issues would be fare and few in between, but if they did it would most likely be they used the wrong stands in the wrong spot, or they didn't torque down and align the plate correctly.

Sponsored

motodad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Whipple Boosted; 2020 F350 PSD
Vehicle Showcase
I had the chirp shortly after my Whipple install (Jan 2018) ...... About 6 months later developed a small oil leak in the back of the supercharger head. Finally addressed the oil leak in November 2018. Per Whipple, I had the supercharger head removed and I drove it to their HQ. They repaired and returned it to the shop for reinstallation. Chirp is now gone.....

The install shop and the R&R shop were 2 different places because I had moved from NorCal to SoCal during the time I noticed the leak and actually having time to address the leak. Both shops were exclusively mustang shops... Installer is more about road course SCCA stuff and in my opinion did an awesome job with the install though it was his first SC install. The R&R shop in SoCal is also exclusively mustang but has LOTS of SC experience... To make the shipping situation easy, I offered to drive the SC head to Whipple HQ. Which I did. I do not recall the pulley being on the head at that time.....

So is my chirp gone because of something Whipple did in the warranty repair or because the R&R shop knew better how to install and align all the gizmos? Per the receipt I got from Whipple, it sounds like they replaced EVERYTHING inside the housing... There were heat spots on the screws I guess from the oiling issue. Whipple shipped the head back so I do not know if they did that with better alignment parts.

TripleB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Snack Pack- Whipple Stage 2
It'll still chirp - don't get your hopes up homie. Learn to live with it and enjoy it

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
It'll still chirp - don't get your hopes up homie. Learn to live with it and enjoy it
This may have been your experience but most have had permanent fix.

Platinum_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 10R Whipple
I've had my Whipple Gen 3 on since March. Zero chirp. Once fall came and it got closer to winter the cold starts caused the belt to chirp. On cold startups around 40f or 4c the belt will now chirp for a few minutes then clears up. Maybe I should have it all looked at I guess.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I had chirp come back with all new billet tensioner, standoffs and idler plate.
I dont think its Whipple's fault, some front timing covers are not super square and the one on my 2015 stock motor was wayyy thicker like 3mm on one side when we compared it to 2017 production timing cover. Its an aluminum casting so figures...

I changed routing to remove the really short distance belt sections and that totally fixed it on mine and 2 others. I ran that routing on road courses thru 8 sets of track tires, 3 wheel bearings, and finally had cylinder 7 and 8 dropping compression to like 170-180. Lol, I expected the motor to need a refresh after 2 years of 2x horsepower abuse on track. no squeak returned.
Then I killed the trans. Still no squeak.
Refreshed trans an dropped in fresh motor and reused old belt. Still no squeak.
Sold kit to go turbo, still no squeak.

Routing is simple: stock OEM routing with stock tensioner and just keep one idler pulley on the plate. Touches water pump twice. I Used only 3 furthest outside standoffs.
Someone in Houston is running with only the bolt to the supercharger and 2 standoffs for 3 support points on the plate.

Have tested with worst possible head unit misalignment and once you get rid of the really short belt contact spacing, the routing is wwaaaayy less sensitive to alignment.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/whipple-belt-chirp.63506/page-27#post-1862584
Sponsored