Sponsored

Right rear rattle repair

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
I've had this rattle coming from somewhere in the right rear since day 1. Ford "tried" for a week and couldn't fix it. Since I couldn't really identify where it was actually coming from, I took the nuclear option and just padded everything. Result: total silence!!! :clap2:

Pic1: I used thin, sticky-backed felt from Michael's craft store.

Pic2: This tether, and the entire black plastic piece that the rear curtain airbag lies in were rattling pretty bad. I could not figure out how to properly remove the tether from the frame, and since I was hoping not to die today, i just took some thin strips of felt and worked them behind the top and bottom edges of the tether to quiet it, then cut off the excess with a scissors. I also took some wider strips and stuffed them down along the top of the frame where it meets the body.

Pic3: This block of foam has three mounting points, two of which had been broken (probably when Ford was looking for the rattle). I wasn't sure if it would rattle (it is definitely a little squeaky), and I didn't want to try to find a replacement, so I figured I'd try lashing it down with some duct tape.

Pic4: Long, thin strips of felt where this trim piece contacts the window. It looks ugly here -- I straightened it later. In the front, you can see how I padded the metal clips.

Pic5: I laid this strip of felt on the body, because the edge that contacts it is made up if a series of edges, and it likely wouldn't stick well. You can see the edge I mean toward the rear of Pic4. I also put little strips down in likely contact areas, but I didn't take pics.

Pics 6&7: I padded every clip except the round plastic ones.
20180616_121600_resized_1.jpg
20180616_120853_resized_1.jpg
20180616_115806_resized_1.jpg
20180616_122422_resized_1.jpg
20180616_115836_resized_1.jpg
20180616_115747_resized_1.jpg
20180616_115758_resized_1.jpg
Sponsored

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
Thank you for this! Will eventually undertake my car too.

OP
OP
RubyRed15

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
It's all easier than it looks, as long as you have the repair manual (or something like it). No more than a couple hours including cleanup.

LightningBlueGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Same exact thing for me, except on the left side. So far I’ve just jammed some cloth behind the airbag canister thing. I just had to move it again due to returned rattle after about 1.5 mos. I’ll try your method soon. Thanks for sharing this.

Ive had a slight concern that something inside the canister itself is vibrating. But it does go away when I jam fabric behind it tightly. I expected some rattles based on what I’ve read here. Sucks, but looks like we can fix it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
RubyRed15

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
Unfortunately the rattle has returned. I'm thinking it's that foam block squeaking against itself where it broke; otherwise, I must need more padding under that tether. If anyone has an interior disassembled, please post the p/n for the right-hand upper foam block.

MaxQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White 5.0 GT
Unfortunately the rattle has returned. I'm thinking it's that foam block squeaking against itself where it broke; otherwise, I must need more padding under that tether. If anyone has an interior disassembled, please post the p/n for the right-hand upper foam block.

I found the same thing with the foam anti drumming block, I used silicone
sealant to glue it down, so far so good.

OP
OP
RubyRed15

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
Good idea. Was yours broken, too, or just squeaking against the plastic?

earlingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Performance Package
I fixed some rattles in a similar fashion that were in the dash behind the steering wheel. I also took some large soft foam blocks and shoved them in behind the panels as I clicked them back into place. The trick is to cut just the right piece where it compresses and keeps tension on the brackets holding the panels in place, but doesn't make the panel bulge or pop off.
Ford and their squeaks and rattles... reminding me I bought a cheap car and an expensive engine.

MustangFrank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Nice write up! I found myself in a similar situation last spring g and it drove me insane. I spent a whole bunch of time insulating like you did.

I ended up finding my rattle came from a rock wedged inside the rear wheel well. It got stuck up between the splash guard in the well and the metal body of the car. The splash guard (or whatever it's called) in my opinion is designed poorly and is easy for rocks to get into and rattle.

After I removed the rock I meant to tape up the gap but never did. Haven't had any issues since!

Sponsored
OP
OP
RubyRed15

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
Where's that gap? Toward the front of rear of the well?

MustangFrank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Where's that gap? Toward the front of rear of the well?
I did it a year ago so my memory is a little foggy... But I remember where my rock was right in the middle. Once you get in there it is easy to pry the splash guard around. There are a few plastic push pins that hold it on, I did not have to remove those to get the rock out.

Tonight when I get home I will check it out and get back to you. But if you reach in you can easily wiggle the guard around and get your hands in there.

OP
OP
RubyRed15

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
I'm sure I can find it. How'd you know there was a rock in there? Here it rattle when you bang on the splash cover?

MustangFrank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
I'm sure I can find it. How'd you know there was a rock in there? Here it rattle when you bang on the splash cover?
Yeah I had torn out my rear interior out a few times and still couldn't fix it. After about a month of messing with it I was going crazy and started banging on the outside of the panel and listening for a rattle. I guess after taking apart the inside so many times I was ready to go after the exterior haha.

With that said, there are a lot of other complaints about these cars rattling. I can't guarantee this will fix your problem but it's definitely worth a look. Good luck!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra