Sponsored

Don't buy a catch can unless...

Wanka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Gt Convertible
Unless...you really don't want to see what's going back into your motor.
Just installed a catch can I had in the box since about February about a month ago. Car was still in storage until at least April anyway.
Well I just checked it and there was about an ounce of oilish material in there only after about 1000 km tops. I can't believe what's going back into the top end of these engines without a catch can. No wonder these cars are gumming up?? I highly recommend putting one on. As others have said "these cars should come from the factory with these installed". I installed a JLT on a 17' Gt and it was way too easy. Great design, plug and play. Just do it..:headbonk:
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I have about a third of an ounce every at every oil change. And that was with a tune at 6 miles on the OD LOL

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
I've always thought of catch cans as a gimmick. They likely provide some benefits on direct inject only engines, but for port or hybrid inject, the benefits will be minimal.

Just one more thing to check / clean / empty. The engine does a fine job of burning / disposing of this crap on its own. :)

If your port inject engine is gumming up, it's probably not because you forgot to install a catch can.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Unless...you really don't want to see what's going back into your motor.
Just installed a catch can I had in the box since about February about a month ago. Car was still in storage until at least April anyway.
Well I just checked it and there was about an ounce of oilish material in there only after about 1000 km tops. I can't believe what's going back into the top end of these engines without a catch can. No wonder these cars are gumming up?? I highly recommend putting one on. As others have said "these cars should come from the factory with these installed". I installed a JLT on a 17' Gt and it was way too easy. Great design, plug and play. Just do it..:headbonk:
There is no reason for them to come installed from the factory with one. You can't trust customers to change their oil. No way you want to trust them to empty a catch can. The engines are safe and reliable without (unless you are racing or boosting).

Sponsored

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
The aspect i can see and the reason i have one is over time i can some sort of build up from it. Maybe wont hurt the engine but lower performance. I have no proof but sounds legit to me is the oil can sort of reduce your fuel/oil mixture. now it seems some cars produce more than others so it might not be equal for everyone. they are fairly cheap take 2 seconds to install and have no negatives other than needing emptied.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
There is no reason for them to come installed from the factory with one. You can't trust customers to change their oil. No way you want to trust them to empty a catch can. The engines are safe and reliable without (unless you are racing or boosting).
Yep, forget to empty that catch can and instead of a small amount of oil vapor you'll have a steady stream of oil entering the engine.

With port injection, the back of the valves are going to get constantly washed with fuel. This argument is much like those that argue over oil brand. Either way, the longevity of these engines aren't going to be determined by installing a catch can. For those that run them, it's just peace of mind.

Anyone that's worried about it being a detriment to performance, just take off the intake every 50k miles and clean it. You'll get that extra 1 hp back in a jiffy.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Is there evidence that these cars are gumming up?
No evidence on these engines... but the marketing department for catch can companies have to fearmonger you in order for you to buy one and them to pad their pockets.

I haven't seen evidence that they do anything on a DI car either. Yes, DI motors are worse for carbon deposits, but I haven't seen any evidence a catch can makes a difference on the amount of carbon deposits. Personally, I don't think there is a good way to stop deposits in a DI engine. Just clean it when it becomes a problem in 100k miles.

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
It’s not necessarily preventing dirty valves but more of a spark knock preventer. What happens is that the oil vapor going into the intake can cool and eventually liquify and puddle up in some of crevices and valleys. During throttle tip in and high vacuum situations, that oil goop will be injested and effectively reduce the octane rating of the fuel being shot into the chamber, causing detonation and spark knock.

Sponsored

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
I have a catch can on my '16 GT, and it does what it is supposed to do.

However, I paid $31 for it on Amazon, and bought the required length of hoses at my local hardware store for $2.

The big name, high-dollar catch cans are simply an expensive rod/reel designed and marketed to catch the fisherman and not the fish.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
It’s not necessarily preventing dirty valves but more of a spark knock preventer. What happens is that the oil vapor going into the intake can cool and eventually liquify and puddle up in some of crevices and valleys. During throttle tip in and high vacuum situations, that oil goop will be injested and effectively reduce the octane rating of the fuel being shot into the chamber, causing detonation and spark knock.
What "could" happen is what lures people into buying catch-cans when in all actuality, it's not going to happen.

If it gives you peace of mind, awesome. If I find a bit of horsepower loss at 150k miles, I'll just clean out the intake (I don't think that's going to happen though).

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-...-horsepower-high-mile-coyote-2011-mustang-gt/

There is a stock high mileage coyote with no degradation of power.

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
I have a catch can on my '16 GT, and it does what it is supposed to do.

However, I paid $31 for it on Amazon, and bought the required length of hoses at my local hardware store for $2.

The big name, high-dollar catch cans are simply an expensive rod/reel designed and marketed to catch the fisherman and not the fish.
Can you post a picture of your setup, and maybe a DIY?

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

What "could" happen is what lures people into buying catch-cans when in all actuality, it's not going to happen.

If it gives you peace of mind, awesome. If I find a bit of horsepower loss at 150k miles, I'll just clean out the intake (I don't think that's going to happen though).

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-...-horsepower-high-mile-coyote-2011-mustang-gt/

There is a stock high mileage coyote with no degradation of power.
Do you have a certain goal you want to achieve for mileage?
Sponsored