Phenom5.0

5.2 ^^^
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech Metallic
Break in period is simply a recommendation.

They cannot deny you for not following it. If it were legally binding you'd have to sign a release and/or the manufacturer would lock the cars performance until after the break in period, then you'd go back to the dealer to unlock it.
Sponsored

Driversedge18

SPIRIT OF AMERICA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ECOBOOST PREMIUM
Vehicle Showcase
Jut got a 2018 mustang GT 10 speed. kind of did line lock at the dealership as well as hit 147 mph at the straight away on my private property. I currently have 112 miles. Did i possibily mess anything up? Also since the day I picked up car, sometimes itll start up kind of rough. Most of the time its fine. any input?
Your fine. Enjoy the car.:cheers:

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I put my car on autocross at 200 miles. According to internet logic, I should be blowing up the GT350 Blown Engine Thread. But I'm at 15,000 miles strong and kickin' like a mule.

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
The talk of "engines being broken in at the factory" makes me imagine a huge room with hundreds of 5.0s being run at various RPMs.

I want to visit that place.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
The talk of "engines being broken in at the factory" makes me imagine a huge room with hundreds of 5.0s being run at various RPMs.

I want to visit that place.
A room with hundreds of running engines.:lol:You start a car. It idles for a few minutes. Thats a heat cycle. You drive the car from the assembly line to the first storage lot. Thats a heat cycle. When a car is broke in. What components. Inside the engine? Have such bad tolerances. That they require 1000 miles of a "certain" type of driving? Ive built engines. I understand piston rings need to be seated. But what other internal engine components are in danger? Someone please explain it to me?

Sponsored

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
ALWAYS, warm up your cars before using them. The best thing in the world is remote start... allows you to warm up the engine for a minute (and climate control inside) before you even get in.

As far as break ins:

Most high end performance cars recommend a break in period of 300-1,500 miles.

My opinion: First 500 miles take it relatively easy, RPMs under 4,000. Next 500 gradually inrease RPMs. Don't use Cruise control in first 1,000 miles. Also do some downshifting and engine braking to give the "backwards" pressures.

After 1,000 miles do whatever you want!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
ALWAYS, warm up your cars before using them. The best thing in the world is remote start... allows you to warm up the engine for a minute (and climate control inside) before you even get in.
I disagree and think that letting an engine (especially a brand new one) sit and idle is not good for it.

I also disagree with some of your break-in thoughts, but I'm too lazy to have that fight right now.

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
I disagree and think that letting an engine (especially a brand new one) sit and idle is not good for it.

I also disagree with some of your break-in thoughts, but I'm too lazy to have that fight right now.
I also disagree with letting the car idle for an extended period of time to "warm up". Most if not all of the damage/wear an engine endures takes place during a cold start. Obviously this is not something that one can avoid, however the amount of damage/wear done can be reduced.

When idling it takes a longer period of time to get to operating temp compared to the amount of time it takes to get to operating temp while being driven.

By allowing the car to get to operating temp by idling you are increasing the time it takes the engine to warm up, and therefore increasing the damage and wear.

When you simply start the car and drive (easily until warm) the car will get to operating temp quicker, and thus reduce the damage by shortening the window where such wear can take place. :cheers:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I also disagree with letting the car idle for an extended period of time to "warm up". Most if not all of the damage/wear an engine endures takes place during a cold start. Obviously this is not something that one can avoid, however the amount of damage/wear done can be reduced.

When idling it takes a longer period of time to get to operating temp compared to the amount of time it takes to get to operating temp while being driven.

By allowing the car to get to operating temp by idling you are increasing the time it takes the engine to warm up, and therefore increasing the damage and wear.

When you simply start the car and drive (easily until warm) the car will get to operating temp quicker, and thus reduce the damage by shortening the window where such wear can take place. :cheers:
Well said. Also, operating a new engine at idle means there is very little load on the rings. IMO new engines need ring loading so that the rings get seated. Extended idling is a good way to glaze the cylinder walls, reducing the power the engine will develop and increasing the chance of the engine burning oil.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Ah a few that actually understand engines. A warm up is the single worse thing you can do to your engine. Get it up to operating temp as fast as possible. So the oil can do its job. I get the impression that there are guys that comment on these threads. That have never turned a wrench. Or changed their own oil.

Sponsored

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Gentle break in's make for gentle cars.

Mine made it's first passes at the track with less than 500 miles.

RLMJR58

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, pp, Kona Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Start it up watch oil pressure come up. Drive relatively gentaly till operating temp comes up then let er rip.

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
And over here I have been taking it easy, trying to get to 1500 miles.
Just got to 1200 the other day. Rather difficult who to believe with regards to 'breaking in a car/engine'. Regardless, during next week's work week, I will be pressing it...!

PIsenhour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium Dark Matter Gray Metallic
Best way to find if anything is wrong with it. Better now than latter.

JD_GTPP2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro, 2SS/1LE
So I hope i am the anomaly. I was mostly careful with my 2018, and yet the engine suffered a catastrophic failure at 860-ish miles. Took it for a mild autocross at 300 miles (mild being sub 5k rpm after being fully warmed up). I really hope it was just a case of a bad engine/poor quality control.

That said, if Ford eventually decides to authorize repair, I will treat the new engine like a red-headed step-child after 500 miles.
Sponsored