Sponsored

Performance package suspension at 10k miles

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
My performance package suspension with only 10k miles is starting to feel less form, and harsh over bumps.

Is this normal for the PP suspension? I havnt taken the wheels off to thoroughly inspect but I didnt see any fluid leaking from the struts.

Thoughts? Opinions?
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Shocks should still be ok. Bushings dont last forever, but they should still be in good shape at only. 10k

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
The harshness and bounce over bumps will worsen with miles. Everyone replaces those rear pp stock shocks with aftermarket options..Does wonders. .Got mine but waiting till I mount my sve350 wheels before shock install.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
I've got 13,000 Kms on mine (8700 miles). Suspension feels the same as the day I picked it up. That includes track days as well as highway driving.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
My performance package suspension with only 10k miles is starting to feel less form, and harsh over bumps.

Is this normal for the PP suspension? I havnt taken the wheels off to thoroughly inspect but I didnt see any fluid leaking from the struts.

Thoughts? Opinions?
Normally I would say ambient temperatures this time of year would be the culprit for a harsher ride...but your weather in Houston is intensely warm :eyebulge:

I didn't notice a deteriorating ride when I changed my PP shocks/struts out at about 10K miles, and my shocks were indeed leaking. Are you driving a different route to work? Any change in tire pressures?

Sponsored

OP
OP

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Normally I would say ambient temperatures this time of year would be the culprit for a harsher ride...but your weather in Houston is intensely warm :eyebulge:

I didn't notice a deteriorating ride when I changed my PP shocks/struts out at about 10K miles, and my shocks were indeed leaking. Are you driving a different route to work? Any change in tire pressures?
It is in fact warm here. 85° today. Same route to work, and same tire pressure. The car used to ride fairly firm, and would soak up bumps well. Now it’s more harsh and there is a lot more “puckering” on bumpy roads.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
It is in fact warm here. 85° today. Same route to work, and same tire pressure. The car used to ride fairly firm, and would soak up bumps well. Now it’s more harsh and there is a lot more “puckering” on bumpy roads.
Interesting. I suppose it's time to take advantage of the factory warranty. If the shocks are the culprit and aren't covered in the bumper-to-bumper then you'll have the perfect excuse to upgrade. :cheers:

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
Noticed my front driver side strut is leaking when I installed my springs this weekend. 9800 miles. Of course it was the last spring I had to install, so just went with it for now. Was hoping to get another year or so out of the stock shocks and struts, but guess that will be an earlier upgrade than expected

magellan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2015 Mustang GT PP

Thoughts? Opinions?
I have 30k on my 2015 PP and I know the front struts are worn out because the front tires are cupping on the inside edge. The ride is very bouncy and harsh as well. Alignment is all within spec. Been fighting with Ford to get it addressed. I don't know how common this is, but there isn't much info on the forum.

OP
OP

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Being an accountant this time of year doesnt leave me a lot of time to mess with the cars, but I was able to snap a pic of something wet on the front drivers side..

40913133841_7e825e2e83_b.jpg

Sponsored

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
did you have the engine oil and filter changed recently?

OP
OP

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
did you have the engine oil and filter changed recently?
I changed the oil about 5K miles ago.

Ill check the dipstick today.. :frusty:
Sponsored