Sponsored

Hood corrosion

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Here’s something interesting, right from the Ford Warranty PDF’s for model year 2015 products:

Ford CANADA (July 2014/4th Printing):
Corrosion Coverage
Under your New Vehicle Limited Warranty, Corrosion Coverage begins at the original warranty start date and covers body sheet metal panels against corrosion due to a defect in factory-supplied materials and workmanship. The length of the coverage depends on the type of corrosion damage:

• If corrosion causes perforations (holes) in the body sheet metal panels, the coverage extends for 5 years/unlimited distance.
• If corrosion does not cause perforations (holes), and is not the result of vehicle usage and/or airborne materials, the Corrosion Coverage is 36 months or 60,000 kilometres (whichever occurs first).

If your vehicle is damaged due to airborne materials (environmental fallout) where there is no defect in factory-supplied materials or workmanship and therefore no applicable Ford of Canada warranty, Ford of Canada will still cover paint damage due to airborne materials (environmental fallout) for 12 months or 20,000 kilometres (whichever occurs first). See “Damage Caused by Use or the Environment” page 13.

Ford USA (July 2015/8th Printing):
(3) Your vehicle’s body sheet metal panels are covered for an extended Corrosion Coverage Period, which lasts for five years, regardless of miles driven. The extended warranty coverage only applies if a body sheet metal panel becomes perforated due to corrosion during normal use due to a manufacturing defect in factory-supplied materials or factory workmanship. For damage caused by airborne material (environmental fallout) where there is no factory-related defect involved and therefore no warranty − our policy is to provide free repair of paint damage due to the airborne material for 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first.
I’m not sure why the Corrosion Warranty is different depending on Country, one would except the Warranty provisions to be the same, since the car is built at the same factory with the same proceeds, parts and prep, regardless of where it ends up on the planet.

But also to note - regardless of the printed warranty, there is still the possibility of an owner being made whole once he/she has a Ford Case # and CSR involved as they have the authorization to go above and beyond, especially in RIBS’ instance above...

Also post any Ford hood/body panel corrosion issues to this group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/fordpeelingpaint/
Sponsored

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I’m not sure why the Corrosion Warranty is different depending on Country, one would except the Warranty provisions to be the same, since the car is built at the same factory with the same proceeds, parts and prep, regardless of where it ends up on the planet.
Warranties have costs so I think some differences can be what the various governments allow a manufacturer to get away with or what they may force a manufacturer to cover. Can even be cultural. Warranties affect marketing; if a population isn't swayed as much by a warranty, makes sense to limit the warranty.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Attached is the official internal Ford GSB document pertaining to what Ford will and will not warranty regarding body paint issues.

Pay specific attention to the GSB charts that are labeled:
1) Chemical Popping
2) Surface Corrosion

Both of those resemble many of the hood issues posted in this thread and are “Warrantable” paint defects under the New Car Warranty provisions documented by Ford.

Many of you should use the attached when trying to prove your case to Ford.

Attachments

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Thanks for the documents, I will incorporate them in my plea...I also found an updated GSB, also, I am still covered by the 3/36 warranty.

Attachments

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the documents, I will incorporate them in my plea...I also found an updated GSB, also, I am still covered by the 3/36 warranty.
Good find! Thanks, I saved that one too.

Sponsored

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
I’m joining the club, bubbling on hood edge (passenger side, near headlight). 2015, 40,000 miles, 3.5 years old. I will be contacting Ford to see what, if anything, they will do. [MENTION=6944]zackmd1[/MENTION], how are you making out mate?

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I’m joining the club, bubbling on hood edge (passenger side, near headlight). 2015, 40,000 miles, 3.5 years old. I will be contacting Ford to see what, if anything, they will do. [MENTION=6944]zackmd1[/MENTION], how are you making out mate?
Unfortunately no.... The last I heard it was being sent to the Regional Ford rep but I have not heard anything since. It’s one of those deals where they hope you will just go away instead of actually trying to help....

Considering just going aftermarket with the replacement hood.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
The 2015 guys are SOL when your warranty expires. 2016 and up have a clause in the warranty that extends it.

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
I was denied on my first attempt, scraped some bubbles off to show damage to aluminum and resubmitted and got approved for new hood.
2015, 3 days left on 3/36 warranty. New free hood on order.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was denied on my first attempt, scraped some bubbles off to show damage to aluminum and resubmitted and got approved for new hood.
2015, 3 days left on 3/36 warranty. New free hood on order.
Great to hear! Best of luck with the repair too.

[MENTION=6944]zackmd1[/MENTION]

Don’t give up so easily...and don’t expect the Dealership to be proactive on your part, not gonna happen. If your Dealership stalled, you make the call to the Ford 800; you should get a Regional CSR, once you do, state your concern. They will assign you an actual Case # to elevate your concern. When speaking to the CSR, reference the LATER Ford pdf in this thread, as it specially states that NO perforation in the concerned area is deniable, that Ford will and should repair the affected area under warranty. IF you made the initial claim BEFORE your warranty expires, Ford should honor the claim...

Also, as I posted in this thread, the paint/corrosion warranty should be 5yrs, no mileage limitation.

Sponsored

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Just an update, my replacement hood is back ordered, about 3 weeks so far....

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
Just an update, my replacement hood is back ordered, about 3 weeks so far....
Took like 3 months for mine to come in.

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
Thx for all the info here, I just joined the club... passenger side starts to bubble on the edge after 2.5 years... what a wonderful bonus to my recent water-leak issue...

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
Just wondering, did anyone had a successful repair on this corrosion issue without replacing the hood? I kinda bothers me that I can not keep the car original since the dealership immediately said they will replace the hood!

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
Unfortunately i won’t be able to see the result, because i sold it before the job was done under warranty. But both places i saw would do a partial sanding, protection and painting. I don t know if it will last forever and if other parts won t be affected later. So i think a hood replacement is the best thing, if everything is done properly. But seeing the number of corroded hoods i wouldn t be sure.
Sponsored