Sponsored

Do I need to break in my new 18...

dhaliwal559

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10 Speed Race Red
Jut got a 2018 mustang GT 10 speed. kind of did line lock at the dealership as well as hit 147 mph at the straight away on my private property. I currently have 112 miles. Did i possibily mess anything up? Also since the day I picked up car, sometimes itll start up kind of rough. Most of the time its fine. any input?
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Thats how I run all of my new cars! The rings should already be seated from the factory. A couple of heat cycles and then drive like the performance car it is.

choate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10 401A with Active Exhaust
break in is a term from a brand new build engine. it should have been broken in before ever installed in the engine bay. as far as what you did, i bought my 2012 from the dealer with 108 miles on it and long after i was running fine i asked them how it was driven and they said likely it hit the red line every time they took it to get lunch which was 10 miles away and it never had a drop of oil low or 1 issue until i sold it with 84k miles. so i don't think you did anything bad but I did baby it for 1k miles varying RPMs. Sounds like you're doing that for sure lol

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
You're fine. If the likelihood of damage was all that significant the cars would never leave the factory without additional run time, least ford would be paying for a metric ass ton of warranty repairs.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Oh sh!t! I just noticed your driving an 18. Get as far away from the car as possible. It’s already to late for the vehicle. But you can still save yourself.:D

Sponsored

OP
OP
dhaliwal559

dhaliwal559

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh sh!t! I just noticed your driving an 18. Get as far away from the car as possible. It’s already to late for the vehicle. But you can still save yourself.:D
what is wrong with a 18??

Nitronorth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rock
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Auto
you did it perfect! Same as every car, truck, or bike i ever owned, and i've never had a lemon. Get it warmed up and see what she can do!
And you think the guys before you test driving it didnt have it to the bag? :)

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
what is wrong with a 18??
Nothing Im just f#&kin with ya. But there is a few people on this forum that’ll tell you the 18 is a ticking time bomb.

Sponsored
OP
OP
dhaliwal559

dhaliwal559

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Once in a while, it'll nake a weird sound when starting like it's trying really hard. Not a long crank but it's hard to explain. I've been recording every start up waiting for it to happen, Car runs great tho.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Ford is a little vague on what a break-in is and everyone has their own opinion but the owners manual says this:

"BREAKING-IN

Tires New tires need to be run-in for approximately 300 mi (500 km). During this time, you may experience different driving characteristics.
Brakes and Clutch Avoid heavy use of the brakes and clutch if possible for the first 100 mi (150 km) in town and for the first 1,000 mi (1,500 km) on freeways.
Engine Avoid driving too fast during the first 1,000 mi (1,500 km). Vary your speed frequently and change up through the gears early. Do not labor the engine

there is also :

DRIVING AT HIGH SPEED
Tire pressure - Speeds greater than 100 mph (160 km/h), Warning ...

there should be a a sticker on the door sill

OP
OP
dhaliwal559

dhaliwal559

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford is a little vague on what a break-in is and everyone has their own opinion but owners manual says this:

"BREAKING-IN

Tires New tires need to be run-in for approximately 300 mi (500 km). During this time, you may experience different driving characteristics.
Brakes and Clutch Avoid heavy use of the brakes and clutch if possible for the first 100 mi (150 km) in town and for the first 1,000 mi (1,500 km) on freeways.
Engine Avoid driving too fast during the first 1,000 mi (1,500 km). Vary your speed frequently and change up through the gears early. Do not labor the engine

DRIVING AT HIGH SPEED
Tire pressure - Speeds greater than 100 mph (160 km/h), Warning ...

there should be a a sticker on the door sill
Yeah we hit 140+ first day. But not again. You think I should be good?

jenksdrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
I'll drive it like I'm going to drive it day 0. That will range from 'old man' to 'hooligan'.

Taking it easy, IMO, is a way for the manufacturer to shorten the warranty by wasting miles on excessively gentle driving.

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
There are some that baby the car...

There are some that hammer it...

There are some that lie in between...

I feel like if there was a definitive answer, we would have known for sure by now.

I have a 2018 that had 6.7 KMs on it at pick up. I always waited until the car got to normal operating temperature then honestly ripped it. I did however make sure to vary speeds, avoid constant redline and heavy loading. Otherwise I drove it like a Mustang. I guess I lie in between but I never babied it and my very poor fuel economy is proof of that lol
Sponsored