Sponsored

Anybody finding rock chips past the front fenders?

UMDrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium ETA 8/3/18
I'm scheduling an appointment to get paint protection film on my 2019, and wondering to what extent I'm going to do.

Currently I'm planning on the full hood, front fenders, front bumper, and rear deck lid panel (I've read it scratches super easily).

Is anybody finding these cars are susceptible to rock chips on the roof, a-pillars, or anything behind the front fenders?
Sponsored

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I've got the partial. The rear quarters take a beating because of the front tires kicking and it's nice to have the sills done to prevent scratches getting in and out.

I'd think the A pillar would be susceptible but I haven't gotten any chips. Heck it may even be done.....need to check.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I've got a big gash (bare metal showing) on my driver side a pillar, about 2 inches below the roof line.

Quite a few chips on the front bumper cover, some on the fenders, and a couple of light specs on the rear quarters.

I would definitely do the decklid panel as well, scratches way too easily.

mu5tang2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB 3.7L
You will get chips.... on.... Front bumper(all) hood at least the first 12-14 inches, above the windshield, behind front tires, and in front of the back tires(it's odd but i found chips in front of my back tires kicked up from the front) and the door cups(the area under the door handle) that will get scratched all to hell. Might as well do mirrors, it's a bug collector and easier to clean then the paint. But honestly... all i did was the flat surface/bumper up front because of bugs. If you got the $$ and plan on keeping the car go for as much as you can. I drive A LOT and i'm actually surprised how well it's resistant to chip's. I have found the windshield actually gets most of the big rocks. i got close to 30,000 driving in NY state highways and my windshield is pretty chipped up.

gnatsuM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I got full front (bumper, full hood, front quarters) rocker panel, mirrors, A pillar, 18" roof strip, full rear quarter. Full car in ceramic. Main point of the PPF is prevent stone chips. While you can do more areas, it's going to cost more. The ceramic is great to protect against scratches, which I think would be fine for the deck lid and other areas like, rear end, trunk, door panels etc.

Sponsored

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
For the rear fenders that widen out in front of the rear wheel well, I can see that area would be vulnerable if you have wide, sticky front tires kicking up stuff. But is that still a problem with the "skinny" standard 235/50/18 all-seasons?

Triton54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
18 GT A-10 (mine) 17 GT pp, 6spd (wifes)
I have also done the whole front end, (basically if its painted It got covered, also entire roof, (black accent pkge on white car) edges of doors, mirrors, door handle wells, and get this, >the gas cap< since you always are pushing on it.....

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Hood near my headlights is wrecked, especially on the passenger side. Probably has 8 chips.

Lots of chips just before the rear wheels as well. Not so much on the doors or the front fenders they’re okay.

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
I've already got a chip in the middle of the hood on one side and one just above the windshield frame.

I suspect it's thanks to the idiot I encountered driving an open landscape trailer full of gravel down the freeway. With an assist from all the idiots keeping traffic backed up behind him. :rant:

MetalCord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I got a nasty rock chip on my driver side door handle after 3 days of ownership. No clue how it happened because I didn't hear anything out of the ordinary. It seems like most parts of the car scratch pretty easily.

Sponsored

jordystang69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Lightning Blue
Get that PP film asap!
I seem to have rock chips literally all over the car somehow. It's my DD so daily highway driving. Do as much as you can afford.

Most common is def the front bumper though.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I put expel on the entire front bumper piece as that gets the brunt of the bugs and wear. Beyond that I just did not want to spend that kind of money on a car that I am going to drive daily during the summer.
Anything beyond the front clip (bumper, hood, front fenders, mirrors) I think is overkill for these cars. You may want to negotiate having them throw in a strip back on the rear trunk threshold..that has been golden for me and avoided scrapes when moving things in and out of the trunk..
If it was a collector car/garage queen for shows and possibly resale value then doing more than the front clip might make sense.
I remember contemplating on my coupe whether to do the whole front clip, but decided against it. A few days later I had a huge rock chip up at the framing of the windshield where it meets the roof. I decided then to not stress about it because unless you wrap the entire car ($6k was my estimate) you are going to get chips- even with ceramic coating. I just stock up on dr. color chip (works great) and touch up the major one's that i know are deep and won't buff out during a detail.. then move on. Think of it like a horses hide.. they all have imperfections.. battle scars you could call them.
Good luck with your decision.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I went full front PPF and mirrors. I noticed one scratch on the lower passenger side in front of the rear tire from something that got kicked up. Very minor and I'll just touch it up. Unless someone wants to get on their knees and inspect that, by all means.

I've already seen several spots where rocks hit the front bumper and the Suntek has healed them. The front is a must. The other parts are optional and what you're willing to pay. Wrapping a full car is close to 3-4k depending on vehicle. Mine was $1500 from a very good installer and a 10 year warranty.

OP
OP

UMDrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium ETA 8/3/18
Just got put on the waiting list for an excellent installer near me... won't be able to get in until OCTOBER. Ha. Hopefully I'm good until then.

I decided upon the following:

-Xpel Ultimate
-Deck lid panel (black part only)
-Headlights
-Partial hood, partial front fenders, mirrors, full front bumper
-A-pillars and partial roof

$1,640 + tax.

Full hood / fenders would add another $1,300.

They said they could also wrap in front of the rear wheels, but that there's only a pre-cut kit for the GT350 for that specific area alone.

I was told a full wrap probably isn't necessary unless I'm tracking the car or driving super aggressive. The installer also said the unwrapped parts of the car will have the same color, but maybe a bit less shine as the years go on, but that with a good polish and detail, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference at that point.

ForTheHordeKT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Performance Package
I wish I'd have protected the rear around the wheel well a little more. Soon as I ditched those Pirellis and got Michelin PSS's all around I got a little bit of rashing near the rear wells.

Though now I have a bit of touching up to do. God damn UDOT decided after they just got done tearing up and fixing a whole length of road on my drive to work that I'd avoided until they were done with it... why not milk that government tit and re-tear up everything that just got finished and do it twice? So unsuspecting, I get on this thing at 7am, go over a bridge, and then see nothing but gravel on the other side down this 55mph 3 lane on each side road. I'm doing 25mph trying to find a way to get the hell off and feeling like I'm in the middle of viet-god-damned-nam while everyone else just whips around and by me doing 55-60 flinging a million rocks at me. God damn I'm still pissed about it. Got some chips that day.
Sponsored