Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Hey all -

Wish this wasn't a post I was making, but I truly feel like folks need this info. As some of you might remember, I had shared some of my experience dealing HCM Carbon when I bought their CF R wing. You can read about it here if you'd like: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2104381&postcount=40

Unfortunately the plot has thickened. I was at COTA on Friday and it looks like the HCM wing wasn't up to the stress. Pics below:
Rear wing crack.jpg

rear wing crack 2.jpg

Both sides have stress fractured. It also looks like the part of the front where the top layer meets the bottom has also started to separate. I have not included this because it's hard to get a picture in all the sunlight right now. Will update if I can get something usable later.

Please make sure you're using quality vendors. If this had come off on track, it would've ruined more than just my day. Thankfully we caught it in time and have a new wing from a much reputable vendor on the way before Road Atlanta this weekend.
Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Wow. Sorry you have to go through this. On the other hand, thanks for the peace of mind. Bought a CF wing from CC by MAD, which cost 1/3 to twice as much as the competition. However, it came with a strong endorsement from 50deep. Still, been questioning the price difference since it looks like any other CF wing. Your advice and experience make me feel better about it though...

ready.jpg

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Wow. Sorry you have to go through this. On the other hand, thanks for the peace of mind. Bought a CF wing from CC by MAD, which cost 1/3 to twice as much as the competition. However, it came with a strong endorsement from 50deep. Still, been questioning the price difference since it looks like any other CF wing. Your advice and experience make me feel better about it though...
MAD makes very high quality pieces. They might or might not be who I went with. Just trying to keep that separate from this thread :)

You made the right choice my friend.

ldp82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Genesis 5.0 & 996 cab
Glad you found that before it let go!

geepaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350, '15 WRX STI Launch Ed, '03 SVT Cobra (RIP)
When we talked at Buttonwillow about the flex of your wing, it made me think twice about getting one. Sorry that it fatigued on you. Good luck with a replacement. Glad it didn’t break-off on the straight at 160+mph!

Sponsored

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
When we talked at Buttonwillow about the flex of your wing, it made me think twice about getting one. Sorry that it fatigued on you. Good luck with a replacement. Glad it didn’t break-off on the straight at 160+mph!
Yeah. I've had bad feelings about it since I put it on. Like you said, we caught it early fortunately. Oh well. The next I have much higher confidence in :)

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
MOTM-2016-Mustang-GT-PP-Brent-Dalton-657x360.jpg

This is what a WING looks like.
Bro - you read my mind. I'll also say I've been talking to a few wing manufacturers. There might be a dual-mode version of the Honey Badger in the near future :D

Arpa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic Black Stripes
Sorry for your wing, sucks :( Glad at least it didn't brake during COTA.

Second that on the wing-front spoiler combo :thumbsup: :D

Just completed the set up (soon I hope to post more details on the setup) and just run a track day on Saturday in NJMP. Car feels more planted! More track days will show if I gained on my lap times. Yes the front splitter hits the track on high speed-brake sections but I was expecting some of it. Time to get a crash course on aerodynamics.

[MENTION=23430]honeybadger[/MENTION], if you recall I was contemplating between the R wing and the APR, but decided on the APR also based on your suggestion. Thanks!

Will also be getting better track pics soon, but these will do for now :)

BIG WANG!!!

But yes, you're right, there is a very serious difference between a wing and a spoiler. :headbang:
ARP_Arpa.jpg
Sponsored