Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Pretty sure those OPG have been around a few years.

Also, i’m not a mechanic, but I don’t think the OPG failing is gonna cause a slow death of increasing oil consumption...that’s gonna be more catastrophic and a bam you’re done moment. Some of us are still driving our cars as motors are on the way.

Last edited:

crazymayhem

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB
Out of interest, has anybody associated low oil with a low whining at idle (when warm) which increases in pitch when you increase rpm? On that note, is there a catastrophic low level?

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Out of interest, has anybody associated low oil with a low whining at idle (when warm) which increases in pitch when you increase rpm? On that note, is there a catastrophic low level?
If all you were doing was casually driving you could probably lose up to 4 quarts and be fine. With the handling requirements this car has, namely the GT350R has (same pan, same requirements), the sweet spot at the pickup tube is probably quite generous.

As soon as g loading comes into play with low oil, you're boned.

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Just curious about opinions from those with manufacturing knowledge on when Ford would start to worry enough to let us know what the reason for failures have been. If around 100 engines have had to be replaced so far (as a guess-timate of a total based on the number in this selective population at M6G so don't hold me to it) out of 20,000 produced that's one in 200. At 1 in 100, 1 in 50? Even though they are apparently doing a good job of replacement as necessary, at some point and I think that even at one in 200 it's time to be a little more open. I know that I would be changing something in my profession if I had a very bad outcome at that rate.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
1 in 200?? You think that’s a problem? Let’s make the numbers say something. 1 in 200 is not even 1%. It’s not even 1/2%. It’s .005% of cars on the road. At .005%, you don’t even have a problem. There are not even hoops to jump through yet. If you’re a heart surgeon .005% failure rate may be unacceptable, but if you’re a......

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
1 in 200?? You think that’s a problem? Let’s make the numbers say something. 1 in 200 is not even 1%. It’s not even 1/2%. It’s .005% of cars on the road. At .005%, you don’t even have a problem. There are not even hoops to jump through yet. If you’re a heart surgeon .005% failure rate may be unacceptable, but if you’re a......
1 in 200 is exactly 0.5%. FYI. :cheers:

Tflong24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
1 in 200 not 1/2 of 1%??? I guess common core math has been adopted as universal.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Just curious about opinions from those with manufacturing knowledge on when Ford would start to worry enough to let us know what the reason for failures have been. If around 100 engines have had to be replaced so far (as a guess-timate of a total based on the number in this selective population at M6G so don't hold me to it) out of 20,000 produced that's one in 200. At 1 in 100, 1 in 50? Even though they are apparently doing a good job of replacement as necessary, at some point and I think that even at one in 200 it's time to be a little more open. I know that I would be changing something in my profession if I had a very bad outcome at that rate.
I don't think Ford would give out the information unless there was an advantage to be had from doing it. Possibly some day when every Voodoo is out of warranty we might learn more.

The symptoms definitely point to several different causes of failures, not just a single one.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
1 in 200 is exactly 0.5%. FYI. :cheers:
Oh crap. Hahahaha...dang it...I knew that didn’t look right when I did it. My bad. Slip of the pencil this morning. Thanks Hack.

1 in 200 not 1/2 of 1%??? I guess common core math has been adopted as universal.
I guess it must be nice to be perfect and never haven made a mistake.

Either way, point remains...I’d venture Ford would not consider a .5% failure rate a problem.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
So here's an honest question. Are there as many cases of regular 5.0 engine failures? It's not a vehicle that I'm planning on purchasing so I didn't spend much effort researching.
Numbers are difficult to obtain right now, but there's a 1000+ post thread on the 18MY 5.0L with regards to odd ticks which some have led to failure. The manual trans has a TSB out now for the shift forks breaking as well.

The 15-17MY models didn't have this many issues that I can recall.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102509

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Damn Ford, at least we can't blame Ford for favoritism lol. So this quality, or lack thereof, is nothing new with Ford? That's a serious question too as I'm new to Ford.
This is a bit odd to be honest.

There were tune-related issues on the launch of the 5.0L in cylinder 8 in 2011 but apart from that, it was fine.

The Roadrunner was a very stout engine in the 2012-2013 Boss 302.

The Gen 2 Coyote is a very stout engine as well in the 15-17 GT, just a little neutered stock for some reason.

All have had what's referred to as the BBQ tick, not an engine failure mode but annoying. OPG can let go once boost is added in.

However lately Ford has had it rough; he Focus RS was a disaster of a launch, the GT350 is questionable for sure (but I don't think it's as bad as the RS was), and this new 5.0L has me questioning it. I think the new 5.0L will become great, but right now it is not and I wouldn't buy one.

Rick R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Mustang
I don't think Ford would give out the information unless there was an advantage to be had from doing it. Possibly some day when every Voodoo is out of warranty we might learn more.
I'm not a lawyer, but I would speculate that if this was brought to the attention of the NHTSA as a safety matter (if you lose the engine on a busy interstate at 65mph it can get messy, I think?), and NHTSA demanded that Ford respond, then either the real numbers and reasons would be publicly disclosed, or possibly could be accessible with a FOIA request?

Tflong24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Oh crap. Hahahaha...dang it...I knew that didn’t look right when I did it. My bad. Slip of the pencil this morning. Thanks Hack.

I guess it must be nice to be perfect and never haven made a mistake.

Either way, point remains...I’d venture Ford would not consider a .5% failure rate a problem.
I was just picking at you, knew you made an honest mistake. don't worry, I had to check with a calculator.