Sponsored

VooDoo Engine Used Oil Analyses

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
I haven't seen any used oil analyses on this forum so I thought I'd start a thread for us to share.

Order your free Blackstone Labs test kit here.

Here is how to read a Blackstone Labs test report.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
Below is my Used Oil Analysis (UOA) from my oil change at 720 miles. Nothing unexpected here.

VPrW5KS.png

I likely won't be stretching the oil change intervals much past 1000 miles as I will begin tracking the car in January and fresh oil is cheap insurance in my opinion.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I already have one analysis from my first oil change. It came back normal (with comments about all the sediment from the sealant residue that we all have seen). I am awaiting my second analysis after my 3 day HPDE.

I would be happy to PM with anyone who would like to compare results.

Sponsored

Thundersteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS Convertible
I performed oil analysis on KC-135s when I was in the military. It can be a great tool if used correctly.

OP
OP

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
Update:

8Bk1loT.jpg

It took almost a year to rack up the 2083 miles since the last change. Shortly after the last change the change the Shelby saw 5 ~25 minute sessions at Circuit of the Americas where the ambient temperature peaked at over 100F.

Blackstone's mention of aluminum really is a non-issue; just something to watch in future reports to ensure that it either plateaus or is commensurate with use.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Update:

8Bk1loT.jpg

It took almost a year to rack up the 2083 miles since the last change. Shortly after the last change the change the Shelby saw 5 ~25 minute sessions at Circuit of the Americas where the ambient temperature peaked at over 100F.

Blackstone's mention of aluminum really is a non-issue; just something to watch in future reports to ensure that it either plateaus or is commensurate with use.
Some aluminum is ok. Especially after just finishing the 1k mile break in period followed by track use. IMHO, the break in isn't over until you put some real stress on the motor. Then, thereafter, I agree. Watch future oil reports under regular or similar use.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
....and fresh oil is cheap insurance in my opinion.
Funny to hear someone who actually does an OA say this. Most of the time this is the comment you get from clueless guys who change their oil every 3k on a blanket, blind policy that their dad did it this way, or whatever the blind reason is. Even funnier coming from you with an OA in your hand that proved 1,000 mile oil change buys you absolutely nothing. But oh well; touchy subject, I know. To each his own.

I’d recommend folks get TAN and TBN also. Can reveal a large piece of the puzzle. I’m surprise TAN and TBN aren’t standard for for what it provides info wise.

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
As I commented over on BITOG, your phosphorus and zinc numbers are higher than they should be for MC 5w50. WSS-M2C931 specifies less than 800 ppm phos. and your report has 856. One of the reasons that most other brands of 5w50 don't meet the Ford spec is because their phosphorus level is too high.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
I've got a mason jar filled with oil that I gotta send in. If I get off my but and do it I'll report it here. It will be of my second oil change and about 7300 miles.

OP
OP

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
As I commented over on BITOG, your phosphorus and zinc numbers are higher than they should be for MC 5w50. WSS-M2C931 specifies less than 800 ppm phos. and your report has 856. One of the reasons that most other brands of 5w50 don't meet the Ford spec is because their phosphorus level is too high.
I wonder if the dealer who did the oil line recall used something other than Motorcraft 5W50 to top it off.

OP
OP

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
Funny to hear someone who actually does an OA say this. Most of the time this is the comment you get from clueless guys who change their oil every 3k on a blanket, blind policy that their dad did it this way, or whatever the blind reason is. Even funnier coming from you with an OA in your hand that proved 1,000 mile oil change buys you absolutely nothing. But oh well; touchy subject, I know. To each his own.
My comment was made after only one data point, 17 months ago, and reflective of simply being precautions. That was also before any track work, UOAs after track work, and an expectation that I'd be tracking a lot more often as I used to live 10 miles from a track.

I now have more data points which gave me the confidence to change the oil less frequently; not sure what your “1,000 mile oil change...” comment is founded on. The latest UOA was after 2000+ miles, a year between changes, and a remaining oil life indication of 3%.

Last edited:

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I wonder if the dealer who did the oil line recall used something other than Motorcraft 5W50 to top it off.
I'd be surprised if a dealer used anything other than MC, but you never know. Wear and viscosity were fine, so whatever caused the increase didn't seem to affect anything else. It could be an artifact of the testing and have nothing to do with your engine. I had a UOA once on my GT500 that was clearly not the oil I'd submitted - the numbers were wrong enough that I went back and checked with the lab (not Blackstone) and it turned out they'd accidentally sent me results for an OTR transport truck.
Sponsored