Sponsored

Who tunes with HP tuners?

SHONOFF15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 OW GT
I’ll be adding a whipple in the spring and had a question regarding tuning/hardware/software needed. I previously had a local guy put it on the dyno and tune it with I believe HP tuners hardware/software (which leads me to another question ill come back to). I think I’ve decided instead of taking it back to him I’ll go with a big name like Lund or PB or whoever (still researching) which will have to be done remotely. Would it be beneficial/cost effective to find someone who also uses HP to do the whipple tune?

Ok the second question, what will I need to upload/install tune, do datalogging (if necessary??) etc...??

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
You can buy yourself the HPTuners cable and credits then have someone with a dyno or remote tune it for you.

I asked Ken from PBD I think it was and he said he could do that. I'd pay him for his tuning services then use my own cable and credits to load his tune so that I didn't have to spend an extra $400 on a handheld tuner. Makes sense if you already have the stuff, otherwise it doesn't make much difference what software you use unless you are dead set on HPT.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
You can buy yourself the HPTuners cable and credits then have someone with a dyno or remote tune it for you.

I asked Ken from PBD I think it was and he said he could do that. I'd pay him for his tuning services then use my own cable and credits to load his tune so that I didn't have to spend an extra $400 on a handheld tuner. Makes sense if you already have the stuff, otherwise it doesn't make much difference what software you use unless you are dead set on HPT.
Yea but can u have access to the tune,if I bought the hp tuning software and credits and I would want the ability to make small changes to my tune.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Yes you can, because you're technically tuning it yourself with the assistance of someone else. Ken gives you a file of his tuning changes, then you can take that file and do anything you want with it.

That's the whole point of buying HPT and credits, to be able to do anything you want yourself besides what a tuner gives you.

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
Yes you can, because you're technically tuning it yourself with the assistance of someone else. Ken gives you a file of his tuning changes, then you can take that file and do anything you want with it.

That's the whole point of buying HPT and credits, to be able to do anything you want yourself besides what a tuner gives you.
I would be surprised if Ken would give you an open tune. I would guess that it would be locked down. If that is true I would love to do that. I have been thinking about buying HP Tuners and tuning mine myself.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Regardless of what Ken does with his tune whether he locks it or not you can always just copy his parameters in your own fresh tune and flash that.

Now don't get me wrong, I dont advocate stealing someones tune. Ive already talked to him about this and also he would be getting paid for his services. Just that you would be able to "build upon" his work further.

I already did this with the Ford PP2 tune and plan on using that info plus Kens to build my own tune.

strongholdsteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can't lock a Ford tune with HP Tuners - it's not working. You can set the "slave" interface and tune remotly this way but that won't protect your files from reading it again.

OP
OP
SHONOFF15

SHONOFF15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 OW GT

I personally don't care what software/programmer as I have no actual hardware tuning device. I just didn't know if it would make a difference cost wise having to write over a different tune (say sct over hp). From what you guys have mentioned though it should not be an issue.

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
Ken B said he will not do a tune with HP tuners because he is scared that the customer will make a change in the tune that hurts the car and blame PBD.

Bill88stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt 6 speed manual
I do, although just staring into the tuning gig. 3 weeks in that's all

Sponsored

foff667

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT Procharged D1X
Been tuning using hptuners since 2004 on my ls car, now tune my procharged mustang.

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
I purchased the HP tuners cable and credits last week and had the car tuned for the headers and cat deletes.

Baseline Whipple tune with the 3.625 pulley made 710 hp and 552 ft lbs.

With simply turning off the safety features from the Whipple Flare program, we made 786 hp and 592 ft lbs and picked up and extra 2 lbs of boost. (Whipple overload limiting only allows 45% throttle. When this is turned off it goes to 85% throttle.)

My tuner didn't even have to do much with the Whipple tune other than tweak some drivability stuff such as power enrichment and torque tables.

HP tuners also allows you to view knock by individual cylinder, which is nice!

Data log showed zero knock, 18-19 degrees timing with the Whipple tune wanting to add 1 to 2 degrees more. Tuner advised we could safely make another 30 to 50 hp more, but I felt no need to push it further as it is my daily and rides on streets tires.

Sunoco 93 octane.

I'd recommend using HP tuners as you can tweak the base Whipple file and then retain the ability to use the flare settings as needed (I.E. power by gear etc.)

Bill88stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt 6 speed manual
I’m loving it so far , still had a lot to learn since I’ve only been at it a month.

foff667

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT Procharged D1X
I purchased the HP tuners cable and credits last week and had the car tuned for the headers and cat deletes.

Baseline Whipple tune with the 3.625 pulley made 710 hp and 552 ft lbs.

With simply turning off the safety features from the Whipple Flare program, we made 786 hp and 592 ft lbs and picked up and extra 2 lbs of boost. (Whipple overload limiting only allows 45% throttle. When this is turned off it goes to 85% throttle.)

My tuner didn't even have to do much with the Whipple tune other than tweak some drivability stuff such as power enrichment and torque tables.

HP tuners also allows you to view knock by individual cylinder, which is nice!

Data log showed zero knock, 18-19 degrees timing with the Whipple tune wanting to add 1 to 2 degrees more. Tuner advised we could safely make another 30 to 50 hp more, but I felt no need to push it further as it is my daily and rides on streets tires.

Sunoco 93 octane.

I'd recommend using HP tuners as you can tweak the base Whipple file and then retain the ability to use the flare settings as needed (I.E. power by gear etc.)

The newer beta software even gives access to alot of the options in the whipple flare tool via the vcm scanner.

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
I’ve been thinking about this as well for a long time, and the new mpvi2 setup looks sweet and has a lower initial cost to get started. I fear the learning curve might be a little steep though. I’m just tired of having to pay for a retune every time I make a simple change.
Sponsored