Sponsored

Ford Buyback: Replacement or Refund.... What is better?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Yeah, it's a wash if you are getting the car replaced. If you are doing a buyback though, I can't imagine that Ford will pay MSRP minus the mileage charge instead of the actual sales price of the car. In my case, I got about 16% off MSRP, so even after the mileage charge, I would be thousands of dollars better off with a buyback.
You have to overlook the fact of what you PAID or what DEAL you got when buying your existing vehicle - it’s does not matter at all... it’s not part of the equation at all. Ford doesn’t care if you got $2k, $5k, or $10k off your original purchase.

The Buy Back is strictly MSRP to MSRP, period. They do not look at any other factors when it comes to direct vehicle to vehicle cost.

So, if your original window sticker bottom MSRP was say $42k, then if entering the vehicle replacement Buy Back Program with Ford, you can pick out ANY other NEW Ford product off of any other Ford Dealer lot in the USA (or build one) that has an window sticker of MSRP of $42k.

Current new car Incentives, discounts, Ford A-X Plans, Ford Cash, Dealer rebates, Employee discounts or any other type of perceivable cost savings PAST or PRESENT does not and will not apply to the Buy Back offer - again it’s strictly MSRP to MSRP.

If the vehicle you are interested in is OVER your original MSRP, then you are responsible for paying any delta over (plus any fees, penalties, etc).

However, as I outlined in my prior hyperlinked post with Buy Back info, each and every single State has its own Lemon Law and/or by-laws regarding a vehicle refund or Buy Back. So it is extremely important that YOU REVIEW and UNDERSTAND YOUR STATE’S Lemon Laws. Ford uses the State guidelines as the base to determine what, if any, fees or penalties are tacked onto the deal.

Also to note, if the collateral being bought back has ANY damages, the owner can be dinged and responsible for the cost of repair as well. This is all outlined in the Ford issued Buy Back documents. The vehicle being turned in will be thoroughly inspected in/out by the Dealership per Ford RAV’s instructions, before the transaction swap can be completed and if there are any findings, you (the owner) will have to sign off on those findings.

The RAV process is lengthy, it can be (or will be) frustrating to some, and yes, there will be times that you will want to just quit the process because of the frustrations.... BUT in the end, if you hang through, it’s worth it.
Sponsored

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
You have to overlook the fact of what you PAID or what DEAL you got when buying your existing vehicle - it’s does not matter at all... it’s not part of the equation at all. Ford doesn’t care if you got $2k, $5k, or $10k off your original purchase.

The Buy Back is strictly MSRP to MSRP, period. They do not look at any other factors when it comes to direct vehicle to vehicle cost.

So, if your original window sticker bottom MSRP was say $42k, then if entering the vehicle replacement Buy Back Program with Ford, you can pick out ANY other NEW Ford product off of any other Ford Dealer lot in the USA (or build one) that has an window sticker of MSRP of $42k.

Current new car Incentives, discounts, Ford A-X Plans, Ford Cash, Dealer rebates, Employee discounts or any other type of perceivable cost savings PAST or PRESENT does not and will not apply to the Buy Back offer - again it’s strictly MSRP to MSRP.

If the vehicle you are interested in is OVER your original MSRP, then you are responsible for paying any delta over (plus any fees, penalties, etc).

However, as I outlined in my prior hyperlinked post with Buy Back info, each and every single State has its own Lemon Law and/or by-laws regarding a vehicle refund or Buy Back. So it is extremely important that YOU REVIEW and UNDERSTAND YOUR STATE’S Lemon Laws. Ford uses the State guidelines as the base to determine what, if any, fees or penalties are tacked onto the deal.

Also to note, if the collateral being bought back has ANY damages, the owner can be dinged and responsible for the cost of repair as well. This is all outlined in the Ford issued Buy Back documents. The vehicle being turned in will be thoroughly inspected in/out by the Dealership per Ford RAV’s instructions, before the transaction swap can be completed and if there are any findings, you (the owner) will have to sign off on those findings.

The RAV process is lengthy, it can be (or will be) frustrating to some, and yes, there will be times that you will want to just quit the process because of the frustrations.... BUT in the end, if you hang through, it’s worth it.
Yup, I get all of that. I was specifically talking about getting a refund without replacing the vehicle. Maybe I didn't make that clear.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yup, I get all of that. I was specifically talking about getting a refund without replacing the vehicle. Maybe I didn't make that clear.
Ok, understood. :)

Just to be clear for others, the Ford Refund process is a totally separate process, not to be confused with the vehicle replacement Buy Back.

I believe Member [MENTION=31740]scottmoyer[/MENTION] has or is going through the Refund process and maybe he can shed more light on what he’s experienced so far.

I do know that if going through the Refund process, you do get penalized with vehicle use fees.

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Ok, understood. :)

Just to be clear for others, the Ford Refund process is a totally separate process, not to be confused with the vehicle replacement Buy Back.

I believe Member [MENTION=31740]scottmoyer[/MENTION] has or is going through the Refund process and maybe he can shed more light on what he’s experienced so far.

I do know that if going through the Refund process, you do get penalized with vehicle use fees.
Interesting. I was under the impression that once a buyback is approved, you have an option to get the vehicle replaced or to get a refund (which would include usage fees). Wasn't aware that it's a completely separate review/approval process. It'd be nice to get more information from anyone who has pursued the refund option.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting. I was under the impression that once a buyback is approved, you have an option to get the vehicle replaced or to get a refund (which would include usage fees). Wasn't aware that it's a completely separate review/approval process. It'd be nice to get more information from anyone who has pursued the refund option.
No, you at correct that the owner does have the option of what route he/she wants to take when discussing with Ford. However, the actual back office process between the two, be it a refund of monies paid and you walk away from Ford or vehicle replacement (Buy Back) and you get another Ford is where there are variations in what people have experienced.

Most on here seem to have gone the route of vehicle replacement.

I think [MENTION=18798]MikeD1[/MENTION]also went through the Refund process, maybe he can lend some help with that too.

Sponsored

MikeD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat
No, you at correct that the owner does have the option of what route he/she wants to take when discussing with Ford. However, the actual back office process between the two, be it a refund of monies paid and you walk away from Ford or vehicle replacement (Buy Back) and you get another Ford is where there are variations in what people have experienced.

Most on here seem to have gone the route of vehicle replacement.

I think @MikeD1 also went through the Refund process, maybe he can lend some help with that too.
The refund process is a fixed formula (which varies by state), you would need to read the LL rules for your state or contact the BBB to get the exact formula. They are all based on miles driven and the ACTUAL price you paid for the car (including all dealer add-ons, taxes etc.). MSRP never enters the equation. Not sure how they factor out a trade-in if you had one (I didn't).

In my case (cash buyer, no trade) I got back the amount I paid (bottom line on the bill of sale) less $380 (calculated charge for 1250 miles) and the cost of a few very minor mods I did myself post delivery (maybe $100).

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
The refund process is a fixed formula (which varies by state), you would need to read the LL rules for your state or contact the BBB to get the exact formula. They are all based on miles driven and the ACTUAL price you paid for the car (including all dealer add-ons, taxes etc.). MSRP never enters the equation. Not sure how they factor out a trade-in if you had one (I didn't).

In my case (cash buyer, no trade) I got back the amount I paid (bottom line on the bill of sale) less $380 (calculated charge for 1250 miles) and the cost of a few very minor mods I did myself post delivery (maybe $100).
Thanks MikeD1! This is the route I will be taking on my buyback. Interesting that they reimbursed you for the mods. I did upgrade of reverse lockout collar and tint.

Under CA LL, dealer installed non-manufacturer items are excluded in a vehicle replacement so I would lose out on the paint protection and lojack that I purchased. This is another reason I won't be doing a replacement.

MikeD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thanks MikeD1! This is the route I will be taking on my buyback. Interesting that they reimbursed you for the mods. I did upgrade of reverse lockout collar and tint.

Under CA LL, dealer installed non-manufacturer items are excluded in a vehicle replacement so I would lose out on the paint protection and lojack that I purchased. This is another reason I won't be doing a replacement.
In FL, anything dealer installed @ the time of sale is considered part of the purchase price. So all my Roush & Steeda stuff, extended warranty, tint, graphics & wheels/tires were rolled in :)

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
All I can say is that Ford RAV is easy to work with but very slow. I've been working with them for 3 weeks now and maybe will get the first refund quote next week.

growler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp
I just went through it at the first if the year If you struck a good deal on the vehicle they are buying back its a good deal..i had 10koff sticker on my f150 nothing close to that on mustang and they trade sticker price for sticker price..so I drove my truck for 13k miles got full sticker for it against 18 mustang so I drove my truck a year absolutely free got a new car the following year for 10k off sticker and the payments made on truck..plus my down payment back,so I got a 45k mustang for 32k and paid no taxes..a good deal...many thanks to the automotive industry thinking on "lean" inventory set up...which means nothings in stock to fix shit in a timely manner

Sponsored

growler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp
they told me the msrp to msrps had to be within 1500$ of each other and no shelbys and no raptors were allowed to be purchased
Sponsored