Hood strut install now hood sits lower?

Matco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 2018 Mustang GT 1996 Ford Bronco
Hey guys so I just installed Redline's hood strut kit over the weekend and now the driver's side part of the hood sits lower than the fender like 1/4 inch lower. the passenger side sits normal, and before the install everything was fine, I'm kinda at a loss on how to adjust the hood back up. Any others have this issue? Or suggestions on how to fix it?
Sponsored

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
Hey guys so I just installed Redline's hood strut kit over the weekend and now the driver's side part of the hood sits lower than the fender like 1/4 inch lower. the passenger side sits normal, and before the install everything was fine, I'm kinda at a loss on how to adjust the hood back up. Any others have this issue? Or suggestions on how to fix it?

That's weird. Never heard of any issues with the RedLine struts before, but kind of makes me glad I went with the Steeda ones.

OP
OP
Matco

Matco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
That's weird. Never heard of any issues with the RedLine struts before, but kind of makes me glad I went with the Steeda ones.
I had seen nothing but good reviews of the redline ones but I might have to try a different set if I cant get these to fit right

OP
OP
Matco

Matco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
I'm sure I could but id like to find the reason why all of a sudden it sits lower when 5 mins before the install it was fine

Sponsored

kidamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt 10 sp auto
I'm sure I could but id like to find the reason why all of a sudden it sits lower when 5 mins before the install it was fine
I recently installed these as well, actually a buddy of mine who owns a body shop did them for me, he said that he had to aligned the hood after install due to some shifting when installing the brackets, looks goods now. those were redline as well.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
You didn't alter the pivot nor did you alter the latch. The only possibility left would be that the Redline strut, when the piston is retracted into the cylinder, is pulling the hood down. Highly unlikely and hard to believe as the strut doesn't work that way and the hood wouldn't deflect in that manner.

Are you going by eyeball or have you taken actual measurements?

OP
OP
Matco

Matco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
You didn't alter the pivot nor did you alter the latch. The only possibility left would be that the Redline strut, when the piston is retracted into the cylinder, is pulling the hood down. Highly unlikely and hard to believe as the strut doesn't work that way and the hood wouldn't deflect in that manner.

Are you going by eyeball or have you taken actual measurements?
My thoughts exactly, I did not measure but I will go take a couple picture real quick and post them

OP
OP
Matco

Matco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
heres the pics
IMG_2430 (1).JPG
IMG_2431 (1).JPG
IMG_2432 (1).JPG
IMG_2433 (1).JPG

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I recently installed these as well, actually a buddy of mine who owns a body shop did them for me, he said that he had to aligned the hood after install due to some shifting when installing the brackets, looks goods now. those were redline as well.
Mine needs to be re aligned after the install as well. Problem is to get both bolts aligned on the passenger side I had to mess with the hood adjustment. I should have ground the brackets for the hood struts.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Matco

Matco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mine needs to be re aligned after the install as well.
Re-aligned up or down, or just the gaps?

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Re-aligned up or down, or just the gaps?
You know I was focused on the gaps, but it could have been height too.

I got so pisssed off I decided to bring it somewhere. Which hasn't happened yet

OP
OP
Matco

Matco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
You know I was focused on the gaps, but it could have been height too.

I got so pisssed off I decided to bring it somewhere. Which hasn't happened yet
I emailed RedLine about it and haven't received a answer yet, I'm going to fiddle with it some more before I return them and by either Steeda or Ford Performance ones

Deleted member 33561

I believe there are 2 adjustments to hood height. They are small rubber bumpers at the front. Turning them clockwise like a screw will lower the bumper and of course other direction will raise them. They are basically bumper stops.

Deleted member 33561

The bumpers are near the headlights. They are rubber with 6 sides. You can adjust them with your fingers.
Sponsored