Sponsored

BG Synchroshift II First Impressions

Jim Bronson

Red One
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Coupe Six Speed
I had my speed shop change my tranny fluid to BG Synchroshift II along with BG additive. I already had a MGW Race Spec shifter and a Steeda clutch return spring installed some time ago. There were two issues I wanted to eliminate: 1) There was a pronounced, annoying grinding/raspy noise heard through the shifter when the car was cold, and 2) Sometimes I was unable to shift from 1-2 without considerable effort. Otherwise, I was happy with the MGW/Steeda combo.

After a few days, I've noticed that the noise previously heard through the shifter is completely gone. I wouldn't have believed a simple fluid change would fix it, but it apparently has. Also, I haven't noticed any of the 1-2 shifting difficulty that I had. It only happened randomly, but I've been driving it quite a bit, so it should have happened by now.

One bonus is that the shifts require less effort now. I won't use terms like "buttery smooth" or "day and night", but I'll just say that the shifting experience is more satisfying since the change.

So overall I'd say the change was worth it. I think along with the MGW and the Steeda spring I have a good combo.
Sponsored

gcadorette13

PoopStang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Nice. I am going to order mine here in about a week. I have heard it makes a pretty big difference!

OrangeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Premium Competition Orange
Good to know. Can't wait to try this fluid out as well. A lot of people claim their transmission ran quieter and smoother with it. Ford must have put some real piss thin fluid from the factory. Makes me wonder if the MT-82 is really an OK transmission.

OneFordGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
I did the switch a while back and the diff fluid at the same time. I did not notice anything. I'm happy with it though as I assume it protects a lot better than the factory fill.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I'm another believer, my 1-2 notchiness went away after a dose of BG and the rest of the shifting is improved as well.

Sponsored

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
Has anyone had an issue with the rear diff making clicking noises on decel after switching to BG?

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
I had my speed shop change my tranny fluid to BG Synchroshift II along with BG additive. I already had a MGW Race Spec shifter and a Steeda clutch return spring installed some time ago. There were two issues I wanted to eliminate: 1) There was a pronounced, annoying grinding/raspy noise heard through the shifter when the car was cold, and 2) Sometimes I was unable to shift from 1-2 without considerable effort. Otherwise, I was happy with the MGW/Steeda combo.

After a few days, I've noticed that the noise previously heard through the shifter is completely gone. I wouldn't have believed a simple fluid change would fix it, but it apparently has. Also, I haven't noticed any of the 1-2 shifting difficulty that I had. It only happened randomly, but I've been driving it quite a bit, so it should have happened by now.

One bonus is that the shifts require less effort now. I won't use terms like "buttery smooth" or "day and night", but I'll just say that the shifting experience is more satisfying since the change.

So overall I'd say the change was worth it. I think along with the MGW and the Steeda spring I have a good combo.
Add in some 80 durometer differential bushings, the shifting will get even better. You wouldn't expect differential bushings to affect shift quality, but they do.

I believe the shock of the diff loading up and unloading travels back up the drive train, causing the drive shaft to oscillate and wreak havoc with the syncros. Drive trains work in both directions and what happens in the rear end can feed back up into the gearbox and even the engine.

I'd imagine differential bushings, BG SyncroShiftII and an MGW is a dream come true!

Grinder67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT

What additive did you use with the fluid? I changed mine awhile back with great results but didn’t know about any extra additive or that one was needed.