Sponsored

"Venom Kills Demons" - Jim Owens (Ford Performance Marketing Manager)

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Emissions, reliability and warranty might require <800.... and no manual trans. :mad:
Good points. Haven't thought that about those.
I can do without the manual as long as it's the A10.
Sponsored

Last edited:

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
whats up,since you say you grew up in those times of the older cars,who do think was king back then?i myself say FORD was.neither dodge or chevy could compete with the following.
1.FORD GT 40
2.SHELBY DAYTONA
3.THE DRAGON SNAKE
4.427 COBRA:ford::cheers:
Growing up in the late 50's and early 60's it was mostly about drag racing back then and not road course racing as it was just coming into its own in that era.

What era did you grow up in and if you were in the same era as me you know full well know that Ford got killed in the late 50's and early 60's ('62 and '63) by GM and Mopar when it came to the quarter mile time trials for production cars.

Ever hear of the "Original Ramchargers" or the "Super Duty" Catalinas or the "ZL1" 409's in 1963 if you want to compare limited production quarter mile cars?

Until Ford came out with ~100 Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt's (a non streetable car) in 1964 Ford was not competitive at the drag strip and they had to do something to take on the early Hemi race cars and the likes of the ZL1's and the Super Duty Catalina's.

Again not sure what era you grew up in but when I was there when the street cars in the early 60's were dominated by Mopar and GM and until Ford came out with their 428 Cobra Jet in May 1968 the streets were dominated by the other two competitors.

Do you really think that the 390 Mustangs or the 428 Shelby GT500 cars in 1967 or 1968 cars were as fast as the 426 Hemi cars or the L71 or L88 Corvettes as it was not even close. A 396 L78 Camaro/Chevelle would walk all over a 390 Mustang and Ford knew that.

Of course once the 68 1/2 CJ street car came out Ford was well on their way with the 428 and 429 cars after which time history again speaks for itself.

:cheers:

SVTSNAKE351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500
Growing up in the late 50's and early 60's it was mostly about drag racing back then and not road course racing as it was just coming into its own in that era.

What era did you grow up in and if you were in the same era as me you know full well know that Ford got killed in the late 50's and early 60's ('62 and '63) by GM and Mopar when it came to the quarter mile time trials for production cars.

Ever hear of the "Original Ramchargers" or the "Super Duty" Catalinas or the "ZL1" 409's in 1963 if you want to compare limited production quarter mile cars?

Until Ford came out with ~100 Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt's (a non streetable car) in 1964 Ford was not competitive at the drag strip and they had to do something to take on the early Hemi race cars and the likes of the ZL1's and the Super Duty Catalina's.

Again not sure what era you grew up in but when I was there when the street cars in the early 60's were dominated by Mopar and GM and until Ford came out with their 428 Cobra Jet in May 1968 the streets were dominated by the other two competitors.

Do you really think that the 390 Mustangs or the 428 Shelby GT500 cars in 1967 or 1968 cars were as fast as the 426 Hemi cars or the L71 or L88 Corvettes as it was not even close. A 396 L78 Camaro/Chevelle would walk all over a 390 Mustang and Ford knew that.

Of course once the 68 1/2 CJ street car came out Ford was well on their way with the 428 and 429 cars after which time history again speaks for itself.

im not from that era back then.talking to older guys over the year at different FORD shows always said things similar to what i listed.no where on that list,did i say mustang.:ford:

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
im not from that era back then.talking to older guys over the year at different FORD shows always said things similar to what i listed.no where on that list,did i say mustang.:ford:
With all due respect if you are relying on feedback/hearsay from some older automotive enthusiasts back in the day you have no idea what you are talking about.

I did not only speak of Mustangs but I also mentioned Ford Fairlanes and of course the Galaxie 500's were part of that mix in 1962 to 1964 whereby Ford was not competitive on the drag strip and up until the launch of the street version of the 428 CJ during the Spring of 1968 Ford was not competitive on the drag strip with respect to regular production cars coming out of Dearborn.

Going forward I would suggest that you do your homework prior to making statements as to who was King back in an era which was way before your time.

;)

2nazty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500 & 2008 GT/CS Shelby clone
Actually Mopars were pretty hot back in 1957/58 with the dual quad 392 Hemi's putting out 375 HP and a very limited 392 Hemi with FI ('58) and came with 390 HP.

As you can tell I am an old guy who grew up with some of these Letter Cars.

Thats cool :) I grew up at the tail end of the muscle car era and during the smog era of the 70's but I have a healthy appreciation for classic muscle cars as well as the modern stuff, but I am a die hard Ford man (even when I was management with Chrysler) I always associate mopar performance from back in the day more to the 60's and early 70's

Sponsored

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
You made a nice choice Olaosunt, congrats. Enjoy
Here she is .Not looking as "race car"as her siblings and hope it stays that way.

That front wheel gap should decreased with the whipple kit lol
Going to keep it simple this time.
1.Cradle lock outs(half shafts/drive shaft if needed)
2. Eibach GT350 lowering springs.
3. Wider tires -already have mounted on 17x9.5 race stars, 28 inch Hoosier slicks, 305/45 ET R's and 275/60 M&H drag radials.
4. for the street GT350 replicas with 305/35 19 SS rears.
5. Gen 5 whipple /stock exhaust with cats or cat deletes.
silver12.jpg
silver11.jpg
silver10.jpg
silver7.jpg

Last edited:

2nazty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500 & 2008 GT/CS Shelby clone
With all due respect if you are relying on feedback/hearsay from some older automotive enthusiasts back in the day you have no idea what you are talking about.

I did not only speak of Mustangs but I also mentioned Ford Fairlanes and of course the Galaxie 500's were part of that mix in 1962 to 1964 whereby Ford was not competitive on the drag strip and up until the launch of the street version of the 428 CJ during the Spring of 1968 Ford was not competitive on the drag strip with respect to regular production cars coming out of Dearborn.

Going forward I would suggest that you do your homework prior to making statements as to who was King back in an era which was way before your time.

;)
with alll due respect and consideration I would say the Thunderbolts were very competitive on the drag strip before the CJ mustangs and Boss 429's and original GT500's, if you want to talk old school FE power, I think the old 406's with tri-power carbs held the torch well before Tasca got Ford to build the CJ......standard disclaimer, this was before my time, I was born in 1972, however I have built FE's, Clevelands, Windsors and even a flathead before, ontop of countless mopar and GM engines and more more modern Ford engines as well

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Here she is .Not looking as "race car"as her siblings and hope it stays that way.

That front wheel gap should decreased with the whipple kit lol
Going to keep it simple this time.
1.Cradle lock outs(half shafts/drive shaft if needed)
2. Eibach GT350 lowering springs.
3. Wider tires -already have mounted on 17x9.5 race stars,18 inch Hoosier slicks, 305/45 ET R's and 275/60 M&H drag radials.
4. for the street GT350 replicas with 305/35 19 SS rears.
5. Gen 5 whipple /stock exhaust with cats or cat deletes.
looking good !
have fun with it!!:headbang:

SVTSNAKE351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500

;)
I would suggest you understand and try to comprehend what I said. Since you the only authority on what happened back then, list the cars from gm and dodge that were able to beat the list of cars that I named.:lol:

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
interwebz

:cheers:Mein Gott!

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Agree with [MENTION=33413]SVTSNAKE351[/MENTION] about the road race cars that won many races all over the world.

I always enjoyed considering the Ford engines that dominated, required huge weight penalties so the competition could keep up or were outlawed before even being used.
351C was a dominant motor that kept up with the big blocks in NASCAR
Cammer motors weren't allowed to run at all because they would have thrashed the competion.
Boss 429 more recently was planned for use on the drag strip and it was outlawed due to the advantages it had over the entrenched Hemi engines.

SVTSNAKE351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500
Agree with [MENTION=33413]SVTSNAKE351[/MENTION] about the road race cars that won many races all over the world.

I always enjoyed considering the Ford engines that dominated, required huge weight penalties so the competition could keep up or were outlawed before even being used.
351C was a dominant motor that kept up with the big blocks in NASCAR
Cammer motors weren't allowed to run at all because they would have thrashed the competion.
Boss 429 more recently was planned for use on the drag strip and it was outlawed due to the advantages it had over the entrenched Hemi engines.
You sir are 100% correct.i was gonna bring those things up that you mentioned. I'm glad that you did. Yes Ford motors were banned before they could kill the competition.another thing that should be noted is sometimes when it came to magazine test gm would say this is a small block motor, when in reality it had a big block in it, to give it better numbers.gm does similar things to this day like that.:ford:

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I would suggest you understand and try to comprehend what I said. Since you the only authority on what happened back then, list the cars from gm and dodge that were able to beat the list of cars that I named.:lol:
Obviously you and I are not even close to being on the same page with respect to mass produced factory muscle cars from the 60's versus the list of cars that you provided which were all hand built cars and for the most part set up specifically for racing.

I certainly agree that the list of cars that you provided were outstanding automobiles but not one of them was a mass produced factory production car with all of them being hand built vehicles by Shelby American with I believe 3 of those cars coming not with a Ford VIN but with a Shelby VIN.

When it comes to mass produced muscle cars from the early to mid 60's Ford had a difficult time keeping pace with the Hemi street cars and big block Corvettes in '65 and '66 and until the 428CJ came out in the Spring of 1968 Ford did not do well on the streets.

I have been a loyal Ford enthusiast for 5 decades and will continue to be but when it came to factory produced muscle cars in the early to mid 60's Ford certainly struggled even with their 428 Police Interceptor engines.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Obviously you and I are not even close to being on the same page with respect to mass produced factory muscle cars from the 60's versus the list of cars that you provided which were all hand built cars and for the most part set up specifically for racing.

I certainly agree that the list of cars that you provided were outstanding automobiles but not one of them was a mass produced factory production car with all of them being hand built vehicles by Shelby American with I believe 3 of those cars coming not with a Ford VIN but with a Shelby VIN.

When it comes to mass produced muscle cars from the early to mid 60's Ford had a difficult time keeping pace with the Hemi street cars and big block Corvettes in '65 and '66 and until the 428CJ came out in the Spring of 1968 Ford did not do well on the streets.

I have been a loyal Ford enthusiast for 5 decades and will continue to be but when it came to factory produced muscle cars in the early to mid 60's Ford certainly struggled even with their 428 Police Interceptor engines.

I agree with your comments on the mass produced Ford cars.

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
I hope it's about 800HP.
The supercharged 2018 GT's are up in there in power. Gotta have more than a supercharged GT, right?!?!? :shrug: :headbonk:
Nope, it doesn't necessarily have to have more power than an AFTERMARKET "not regulated" supercharged Mustang GT :(

Good points. Haven't thought that about those.
I can do without the manual as long as it's the A10.
It's going to be a DCT... at least that's what the latest rumors suggest (I don't remember who was the one who called it, about being a DCT after the picture of the new brakes that someone uploaded it. Also, the rumors about the Tremec plant not ready to deliver the DCT's just yet and that being one of the reasons of the GT500 delay).
Sponsored