Sponsored

4th gear is gone

jayvajj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Again, how do they know you have a tune? Every tuner I've seen lately specifically advises to flash the car back to stock for dealer / warranty service.

Why is that?

Because once it's flashed back to stock, the dealer can only read key cycles since last flash. So they have zero proof the car has an aftermarket tune, much less able to prove the tune caused any damage.
Listen I agree with most of it. Doesn't sound like OP did any of that so this is all moot. All i am saying is that screaming the Magnuson Act is useless when the dealer finds any of the modifications.

On the opposite end, I witnessed a dealer try to deny an engine failure on a friend's SUV. A bone stock SUV. Told him that it looked to be caused by "poor maintenance". He told the guy "I don't see any record of you bringing your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance." The guy in question was an engineer. And a pretty anal one at that. He had receipts scanned in for oil / filter purchases and date / time / mileage records of EVERY Service (not just oil changes). When presented with all of the maintenance records, the vehicle got a new engine - because that guy knew he's lose that battle with Corporate and would end up replacing the engine anyway.
Dealership didn't have any maintenance records on file for the customer and 30k miles later an issue arises. Once the customer produced the receipts of the self maintenance was performed the dealer performed the warranty work. Seems standard practice to me?
Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Hope you get lucky and they warranty it.

As said, the Magnuson law is not going to help you here. You have a tune, and a tune voids the warranty. It doesnt matter if that actually caused the failure or not, it matters that you modified and voided the warranty by changing the Ford calibration.

I believe it is up to the dealership if it gets warrantied or if they decide to check the flash count, I'll never forget there was someone on here with a Procharger that got his cats replaced under warranty lol. If they don't warranty it, hopefully you knew that risk before you flashed the tune.

OP
OP

Fordman460

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
I'll let you all know what happens, I hope they're cool about it.

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
How can the dealer say the car is making more power/ torque without dynoing the car to prove so.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
How can the dealer say the car is making more power/ torque without dynoing the car to prove so.
It's really not even about the more power necessarily. Putting a tune on the car removed the Ford calibration and changes how the car is designed to run/operate. That's enough to deny the warranty if they want to. You should consider the Powertrain warranty void if you tune the car.

Sponsored

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
I guess a way around this would be to purchase the ford performance power pack that includes the device to reflash the computer with a warranted FORD calibration.

Hold onto the receipt.

Go with a custom tune and if shit hits the fan, flash back to the FORD tune.

This way if they question the flash cycles, you can say it was the FORD power pack tune.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
They can deny whatever they feel necessary but in the end you have the right to fight it and they have to provide the burden of proof that you caused the failure. It's just a matter of, do you have that kind of time and money to waste because up until the point of them proving it was or wasn't your tunes or mods that caused the issue, they will hold you liable for any costs to diagnose the problems up until that point.

People tend to not understand warranty claims and how they work. A dealership has a right to say NO as soon as you pull the car into their shop, however Ford company actually warranties the car so in the end THEY have the say, not the dealership. So you get Ford Corp involved if it needs to go that route and most likely they send out an engineer and inspect the part that failed and determine if it was a manufacturing fault or a user fault. You have every right to fight it even if it was modded until it's proved one way or the other.

Most dealerships and Ford will be willing to work with you either way because you are a customer to them and potential money regardless if it's for bringing the car in for mechanic work or buying another car from them in the future. Even if you are at fault sometimes they will split the costs with you or give you a 1 time "goodwill" or "good faith" pass and fix it for you at their cost. It's always best to just be up front about shit and not try to be dodgy and hide shit from them. People who pull parts off, or take off tunes and then try to deny it when it's obvious when they are lying about it are usually the ones that won't get the luxury. Don't be scummy like that. Earn respect, get respect.

jhatley7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 White GT PP, 2022 F350
Op will likely be denied due to the long tubes.

OP
OP

Fordman460

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
Talked to my service rep today, it is expected to be done on Tuesday, under warranty. They did call to ask whether the clutch was aftermarket or not( due to the longtubes and the Mickey Thompson tires oddly enough) but when I told them it was all stock exclusive of the obvious they took care of it.

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
Talked to my service rep today, it is expected to be done on Tuesday, under warranty. They did call to ask whether the clutch was aftermarket or not( due to the longtubes and the Mickey Thompson tires oddly enough) but when I told them it was all stock exclusive of the obvious they took care of it.
That's awesome. I bet that's a relief. Glad I was wrong.

Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Did they tell you what failed? Just curious. Glad it worked out.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Buy Lottery Tickets, NOW!!!

:clap2:

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
That's awesome. I'm glad I was wrong too :cheers: Congrats and better luck with this one. :thumbsup:
Sponsored