Sponsored

17 Base Oxford W GT350R @ HGreg.com 74k

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I have nothing but respect for base owners and if I lived up north, I would have considered it... but saying a base car is the "Purist form" is kind of silly IMO. Even Ferrari Scuderia's and Challenge Stradale's (Ferrari's "track focused" cars) have Air and a base radio. Can 60lbs really be measured as an actual deterrent to non-professionals or people on this forum on a track?

What if I weigh 160lbs and you have a base car and weigh 210? Or if we both have base cars and I weigh 150lbs and you had a big lunch that day and weigh 210, should I be worried you are going to beat me around the track? :D Would I be considered the "more pure driver" since I'm lighter? :lol: (that was meant to be funny for those that can't take a joke). What about the guy that has the base car but takes off the Carbon Fiber wheels and runs heavier wheels? Not "pure"? :shrug:

Putting on a race suit and helmet and running a car hard for 10 laps in a southern climate would certainly cause physical fatigue from the heat 9 months out of the year, no? I know it would drain me. I ran the Track Attack in Utah in April and in the suit, it got hot quick and it was cool the 2 days I was there.

I was talking to a buddy of mine the other day and he likened it to those that buy $5K in pro Carbon Fiber Ping golf clubs VS. those with a decent set, 99% of it's going to come down to who's hitting the ball (or in this application, who's driving) more than better/lighter gear.

Again, nothing against base owners, I'm glad we had the base option and I love to see them, but I honestly don't consider them to be anything more special over a "standard R".

Personally I consider the FP350S as the "purist form" of this vehicle, hands down (even though no FPC).
Sponsored

MustangGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, LB / White OTT
Only problem with owning a Base car is you don't get the special "BOOST" button that add's 100HP to the "unpure" R.
IMG_2024.jpg

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R
Apparently Internet Delirium has taken over here. Semantics debates reign supreme (just like the media these days, sadly). I am not allowed to have an opinion. That's fine. I agreed that they are too hot to drive in hot climates, even mine. But they are, in fact, the lightest version which is no longer available. That is the simple reason I got mine. If you don't like my chosen label, so be it. Choose the version you like best for whatever reason you wish. I am happy for you and am delighted with my choices, even though you are not. :cheers:

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Apparently Internet Delirium has taken over here. Semantics debates reign supreme (just like the media these days, sadly). I am not allowed to have an opinion. That's fine. I agreed that they are too hot to drive in hot climates, even mine. But they are, in fact, the lightest version which is no longer available. That is the simple reason I got mine. If you don't like my chosen label, so be it. Choose the version you like best for whatever reason you wish. I am happy for you and am delighted with my choices, even though you are not. :cheers:
Well said. I also bought a base R for similar reasons. Not necessarily because of purity but because it's the lightest. I don't care for the A/C much and I love in northern Alabama. I seldom drive the car during commutes or too work. I regularly hit some pretty nice back roads here and in TN. I love how some quantify how little the weight savings are. Sh!T! I am going to be dropping like 1k on a 6lb battery lol. Even with my mini bluetooth amp 2 speakers i am just tapping 3670 (wet) on intercomp roll on scales. I am glad I got the lightest version because I will eventually take even more off like the rear interior trim to include the rear seat delete cover. especially if I put the roll bar in which is heavier than I expected for half of the protection lol

Last edited:

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
The base model is the trim to use for a race car conversion :)
Maybe not full race car but close. I really thought about going full spherical but I still drive on back roads and that would be overkill. Badass on track but overkill for me.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Good discussion here. I was on the fence between the base r and track pack.

No back up camera was a deal breaker, I’m glad I stuck to my guns because now with my custom seat brackets I cannot see much out the back.

Also my track pack weighs 3700lbs with a full tank of gas, forgelines, race seats, full trunk,full interior, watson rollbar etc etc.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
Good discussion here. I was on the fence between the base r and track pack.

No back up camera was a deal breaker, I’m glad I stuck to my guns because now with my custom seat brackets I cannot see much out the back.

Also my track pack weighs 3700lbs with a full tank of gas, forgelines, race seats, full trunk,full interior, watson rollbar etc etc.
Race seats is a definite weight saver. The stock recaros are HEAVy!!

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
My philosophy when I ordered my R was deciding upon the setup that would be best for 90% of the driving I would do with the car... and that was routine street driving. I can live with the added 60 or so pounds for the convenience.

Regardless of whether you purchased a base or the electronics, you made an awesome purchase!

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I love how some quantify how little the weight savings are. Sh!T!
The flip side of this is, of course, how some consider 60 lbs a really big deal on a car driven on the back roads (and not at a professional level on a track). ;)
Sponsored