Sponsored

2016 DIB Base GT performance pacakge for street/track/autoX

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I sold my 2011 BMW M3 back in the summer before moving from TX. Still love the M3, but I was ready to try something else. I started looking for a new car in the late summer. I've always had a thing for 93-95 RX-7's and have owned many over the years(and currently own a LS1 RX7 track car), but there are a ton of awesome cars out there. I try to branch out as much as I can when I have the opportunity.

I wanted a base model GT with the performance package (PP) as the only option as my new car (to keep it as light as possible). I think it's a lot of bang for the buck. I picked up a 2016 Mustang, Base GT, Deep Impact Blue with PP at the start of October from a high-volume dealership in Virginia after shopping around for the best deal.

I want the car to be something that is fun to drive on occasion on the street/AutoX/track day. It is not my daily driver, but I don't want a car that is not fun or comfortable to drive on the street. While I have a dedicated track car, it's nice to be able to drive my car to the track as well as instruct students. Sometimes keeping up with race car maintenance, pulling the enclosed trailer to the track, etc... gets old when work is really busy(which it has been for the last many years).

At the dealership:

Arriving after transport:

The first thing I did was install the Steeda Heel/Toe pedal and jacking rails. Both of which work great!

I use these esco jack stands with the rails and it is super easy to get the car up on jack stands in no time at all:

I then took it to Raceway Park of the Midlands (formerly MAM) in Iowa. It was there end of year event and, as a thank you to the drivers, had a $50 track day. Hard to pass that up. My parents were in town so they went with me and my wife. New track, new car. I put it in 4th and just worked on learning the track and feeling out the car a little:
[ame]

We had a baby shower in Tennessee back in November. I had planned to drive my truck or my wife's car, but decided to just drive the mustang the 10 hours/650 miles each way. Whatever I couldn't fit in the car, I'd box up and ship home. Much to my surprise, I fit it all in the car along with me, my wife, and both of our suitcases.

I switched out the chrome pony emblem on the front grill and the chrome 5.0 emblems on the fenders for black ones. I also put in all weather mats to include the trunk, which I like.

I also changed the oil for the first time at around 2000 miles. I'm using amsoil signature series, 5w20.

I also noticed I did a number on the outside edge of the front tires while at the track. They should be fine for street use, but I'll def. need some camber before the next track day.

My father-in-law came into to visit back in October. He is a big mustang guy. He has four 66 mustangs and some 80's and 90's mustangs. He has never purchased a new car. After he rode around with me one day and drove the car literally 2 miles, he was hooked. He bought a ruby red 16 GT. His is a premium model with performance package and more bells and whistles than mine. 3 of the 4 in the picture are his. Can you tell he likes red mustangs?

I meant to get a picture with his and mine, but was just too busy.

I switched out the chrome pony emblem on the front grill and the chrome 5.0 emblems on the fenders for black ones. I also put in all weather mats to include the trunk, which I like.

I also changed the oil for the first time. I'm using amsoil signature series, 5w20.

I also noticed I did a number on the outside edge of the front tires while at the track. They should be fine for street use, but I'll def. need some camber before the next track day.

My GT350 wheel showed up at the start of December:

Picked up a Kognition wing.

Here it is on the full race mustang:

I'm looking for another trunk lid at a junk yard that is already my color for a couple hundred bucks that I'm going to mount the wing on so I don't have to drill my original.

I patiently waited in preparation for black friday.

I picked up an APR carbon fiber splitter on black friday for a good deal to help balance the wing. On the aFe car:

I searched around and researched coilovers. I'll spare you most of the details. I went with aFe/Pfadt coilovers and sway bars. Aaron Pfadt is a mechanical engineer that is a hardcore racer. That's a rare combo. He has made really nice products for Corvettes for many years. I always liked the Pfadt stuff on my corvette and they also had a really nice contingency program. A good bit of my really fast Corvette racer friends have ran Pfadt stuff for many years with great success. The ST2 East Coast Champ is running them. I found a killer black friday deal on them and pulled the trigger. They haven't arrived yet, but here are a couple pictures they've posted. They're coilovers. Who cares how they look! I don't have weights for them yet, but will hopefully get them soon.

Corresponding camber plates from maximum motorsports:

Stock performance package wheels, while they look great, are really heavy at 33lbs. Apex wheels are super popular track wheels in the BMW track crowd. They are fairly light, strong, and cheap. I saw they made an 18x10 wheel and are 22lbs each. Waited until black friday and got them on sale and with free shipping. 44lbs of unsprung weight savings

Corresponding tires. I had to dig around a little to find tires that worked with gearing as the stock rear tires are 27.7. These are pretty close at 295/40/18 and 27.2. I save an additional 26lbs of unsprung weight over stock tires:

Test fit. I had a 10mm spacer on the front and it was really close. I could slide a piece of paper between the tire and the strut and that was about it. I'll probably go with a 19mm spacer that some of the mustang racers use in World Challenge. I'll need to get the ARP extended studs as well.

I also got a killer deal on a borla atak with black chrome tips exhaust on black friday from [MENTION=10926]beefcake[/MENTION]. I also picked up the resonator. I'll run the resonator most of the time, but will have the x-pipe to put on whenever I want it loud. Stock catback is 72lbs. This one is 42lbs. Another 30lb weight savings. Not as significant as the others, but it should sound good!

Right now, the plan is to leave the coilovers on all the time. Stiffen them up for track. Before the track I'll change the brake pads, wheels/tires, throw the trunk/wing on, and front splitter. It should take a couple of hours of prep. We'll see.

Waxer life:
Waxer life:

Shelf prepped for once I move the mustang to the basement garage to work on it!

Fast forward to this weekend. My wife is a few days past her due date. I spent yesterday installing the coilovers and sway bars. I had installed the exhaust last week one night after work.

Coilovers and sway bar:

I've only driven around on the coilovers and sway bars a little. So far, I'm happy with them. On the street settings, they aren't bad at all. I still need to dial in my alignment, but ran out of time. I went with the aFe base setting for height. I'm happy with the fronts, but need to raise the rears a little. No big deal.

As mentioned, I got the Borla ATAK... but also ordered the resonator to replace the X-Pipe for most of my street driving. It is a little louder at idle, but really wakes up once you are on throttle. From inside the car, it really doesn't sound much louder than stock:

Sound clip:
[ame]

Obligatory GT350 Steering Wheel(best $160 I spent on the car) shot:

Black emblems:

Few Exterior pictures from today:

First track day of the year is COTA at the end of February with MVP. Should be a fun time!

Here is a video of COTA in my M3 with some worn out tires from a couple years ago:
[ame]

Just for fun, one of my RX-7 from Road Atlanta from 4 or 5 years ago. The GTR was in TTU(5.5:1 ratio) and I was in TTS(8.7:1 ratio) so he is in a faster class.
[ame]

And a couple of the RX7:

Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brent Dalton

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Wow looks awesome. Any sound clips of the exhaust?
Thanks

It's in the first post towards the bottom. I had copied it from another forum and had to remove stuff.

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
sub'd! Glad you're liking the jacking rails. Man, that RX-7 looks and sounds amazing! Always had a sweet spot for those.

Sponsored

gundam83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Oxford White
Sweet build. Question though, wassup with the Bad Boy Vettes skull on the RX8? LOL. I used to have a C6.

OP
OP
Brent Dalton

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Thanks!

Ha! Its an RX7. I think you mean Jake, the corvette lemans mascot. Ive owned a few z06's as well. As you can see in the pictures and hear in the video, my RX7 has an LS engine. I like the livery jake adds to the car. It also seems to really upset the rotary purists. I had Internet people argue with me in the past when pictures were posted of the car telling me, "no, I know the owner...it is a rotary." It also helps with that.

gundam83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Oxford White
Thanks!

Ha! Its an RX7. I think you mean Jake, the corvette lemans mascot. Ive owned a few z06's as well. As you can see in the pictures and hear in the video, my RX7 has an LS engine. I like the livery jake adds to the car. It also seems to really upset the rotary purists. I had Internet people argue with me in the past when pictures were posted of the car telling me, "no, I know the owner...it is a rotary." It also helps with that.
Sorry, two brain farts in a row.

Awesome :headbang:

OP
OP
Brent Dalton

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Still loving my jacking rails and esco jack stands:

I installed the Cortex front spacers and ARP studs a while back. With the ARP studs already installed in the hub, it takes about 15 minutes a wheel to install.

1.Take the lug nuts and wheel off.
2. Remove the 2 15mm bolts on the brake caliper and sit the brake caliper out of the way.
3. Remove the 36mm axle nut with a breaker bar.
4. Hub slides right off
5. Reassemble in reverse order. The axle nuts are one time use so go buy some new ones from ford. If I remember correctly, the torque spec was 258lbs. Brake caliper bolts are one time use as well.

ARP Studs installed:

Cortex ½ in front spacers:

Caliper clearance:

Once installed, I test fitted the Apex EC-7 wheels with the 295/40/18 hoosiers. I went with the 295/40/18 tires to keep as many mph as I possibly could at the top of 5th gear with the 3.73 final. Stock rear tire outer diameter(OD) is 27.7 in, these hoosiers are 27.2 in. Close enough to keep me around 150mph at 7000rpm’s in 5th gear. For reference, a 285/30/18 is normally around 25.5 in and will top out at 7000 rpm’s in 5th gear at 142mph. Fine for most people, but if you are tracking at larger tracks, you will run out of gear. Another option is to switch to a 3.55 final drive or raise your rev limiter.

I love love love the Apex EC-7 wheels. I also love apex for being affordable track wheels and being an awesome company in general. I first heard about them when I got my M3 and noticed like every BMW known to man ran them at the track. I found out why when I saw the price. Seriously, check them out. The wheels are on sale with free shipping: http://www.apexraceparts.com/apex-products/S550-Mustang/#.VteJwJwrKhd

Rear Clearance with the aFe/pfadt coilovers (room for days):

Front clearance with Cortex ½ in spacer. Under heavy load, they just touch ever so slightly. Not any issue, but you might want to go with the ¾ in spacer:

So with that being said…

I changed out the brake pads to Carbotech XP12 front and XP10 rear pads. Put on new rotors for the pads. I also flushed the brake fluid and replaced with Castrol SRF Fluid.
I also picked up a spare trunk lid and mounted the Kognition wing to it. I also installed the APR splitter. I was running out of time so I used normal nuts and bolts. I’ll go back and mount with dzus fasteners. Removing the front bumper wasn’t bad at all. It probably took 30 minutes taking my time.

The last minute thrash getting ready for the track!

All done!

So with the maximum motorsports camber/caster plates, they max out at arounf -2.5 of camber. The aFe/pfadt coilovers come with the lower strut mounts, upper bolt hole slotted with centered and offset slugs. I put in the offset slug and was able to get to -3.5 degrees of camber. Win!

So alignment ended up at:

Front:
Camber: -3.5
Caster: Max and even. Don’t remember off the top of my head
Toe Out: 1/16th

Rear:
Camber -1.9
Toe In: 1/8th

I had planned on leaving for COTA Wednesday night, but my 6 week old daughter had a rough night and didn’t go to sleep until 4am… so I left at 7am after being up all night. Fun times.

Somewhere in Oklahoma:

The car did great on the drive down. The aFe coilovers are not bad on the street at all. As mentioned before, the rears do make a little noise by design. It doesn’t bother me, but I know some people are particular on it. I’m really happy with the street manners of the coilovers though.

Made it to Austin at about 7pm Thursday. Got a quick bite and tried to get a little sleep.

Friday I took it easy and felt the car out little by little as well as shook the rust off as I hadn’t been to COTA in almost a year. I made some minor tweaks. I also stayed busy with students. There were three new GT350’s there. I instructed one of them. I introduced myself to my student and he said, “I’m XXXXX Shelby.” Uh, any relation to Carroll Shelby? It was his grandson… highlight of my weekend for sure! He was a super nice guy and really down to earth. He had a couple of his friends there as well as his GT500. Was great to get to ride on track in a new GT350. Fun car for sure.

His car:

I also met Plimmer from the forums. He has a really nice mustang with some nice mods. I wish I would have got a ride in his car to see how his JRI’s felt.

Saturday I was still feeling out the car and working up to full speed. I was giving quite a few rides to friends and students and didn’t really get a chance to push the car really hard (I’m about 8/10ths with passengers). I logged a bunch of laps though. I probably jacked up the car and checked the suspension 3-4 times out of paranoia throughout the day. Everything was good though. At the end of the day, a friend and I wound up on track together and did a little lead follow. After checking the data, we were running 2:32’s. I figured I could do a 2:30 flat on Sunday.

I wanted to leave by mid-day on Sunday as I had a 12 hour drive home. I planned to do a couple of sessions to get everything up to temp/speed, and then push hard around 10:30 or so and see if I could do a 2:30. I went out first thing Sunday to work my way into everything. Cold tires, cold track, cold brain. Was warming everying up and ran some 36’s and 37’s. I was also out for close to 30 minutes. I parked the car for about 20 minutes, then decided to go back out. After about 15 minutes, I got a “REAR AXLE DIFFERNTIAL TEMP INCREASE, REDUCE SPEED” on the dash. I slowed down and pitted in. Drove the car up and down the road to cool it down. No noise coming from the diff and it functions as it should. Cool that the sensor alerts you! Score one for the 2016 mustangs with the diff temp sensor! I need to look up when it gives you the warning. At that point and with a 12 hour drive home, I decided to call it a day and not push my luck. I’ll have to wait until the next time to try for that 2:30. Such is life. Still an awesome weekend. When I drain the fluid, I’ll report back if it is cooked or anything.

After Day 2:

Obligatory Tower Shot:

Back home and all cleaned up. Time to take the wing and splitter back off and look like a normal, law-abiding mustang again:

Videos:
[ame]

[ame]

Brakes: Brakes felt great all weekend. I thought I would have to bleed them after each day, but they were great all weekend. No brake fluid boil at all.

Handling: The car feels very neutral with a touch of oversteer. I may play with the alignment a little more, but really happy with the initial settings. the aFe/pfadt coilovers I think are a great compromise for street and track.

Engine: Car ran well. I think, even with the pp radiator, that in warmer weather the car will need more cooling. I don't think the 170 thermostat and turning the fans on earlier will help, but who knows.

Transmission: Transmission was fine. Occasionally it was difficult to find 3rd from the 4th to 3rd downshift.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brent Dalton

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP

Sponsored

sldghmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP (x2), 2016 F-150 XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Very, very nice! Getting tons of ideas from you guys...thanks!!

OP
OP
Brent Dalton

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Looks awesome!
Thanks!

A few more from the weekend:

Not bad for G's:

Up next I have a NASA Time Trial at Raceway Park of the Midlands next weekend. I'm heading to Road Atlanta in June for another NASA TT. Weekend after that to Hallett for a NASA TT as well. Should be fun.
Sponsored