Sponsored

My first track outing - Mustang GT - video

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
Sorry if there is another thread for this stuff. Please merge if required.

I completed my first event in the Mustang on the weekend. This is a great event held annually on part of the old Adelaide F1 circuit with approx 30,000 in attendance. I’ve previously competed here in a heavily modified 996 GT3 on r-compounds, and managed to get within 2 seconds of the GT3 in the mustang, running only MPSS, FRPP track suspension with BMR handling springs, CB005 and a catback. Factory tune. I even managed to catch and pass a 700rwhp Holden HSV GTS which had a supercharged LS3. Many spectators came up across the weekend and wanted to know what I had done to the engine. Far more people in the paddock showed interest in the Mustang than they ever did towards the Porsche in previous years, which gave me a bit of a kick!

I am genuinely amazed at how good the S550 platform is for motorsport! I had a feeling it would be a great base from which to start, but I was pleasantly surprised by the effectiveness of the car with only fairly basic mods in its current stage of development.

This is session 1

This is the final session. I came VERY close to putting the car in the wall at the 3 minute mark (tires had gone off and I became impatient with the gas on the exit of a painfully slow hairpin).

Thanks for watching. Can’t wait to get back out on track with a Lund tune and some E85 in the tank.
Sponsored

Last edited:

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Great videos! What size MPSS are you running, and what sort of pressures? I have a set ready to mount, decided on 275s all around.

OP
OP
spiller

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
Great videos! What size MPSS are you running, and what sort of pressures? I have a set ready to mount, decided on 275s all around.
Thanks! I went with 295/35-19 all round. REALLY impressed by them given they're a 300 treadwear. They perform more like a 200 IMO. I ran them at a track event on one of my previous cars (Mercedes-AMG A45) and was a little underwhelmed in that instance but the correct track alignment makes all the difference.

For pressures I was shooting for 32 hot front and rear. This worked best, any higher than about 33 and they start to go off, especially at the rear. I was starting them at 27 cold to arrive at this pressure but these were only 10 minute sessions. Ambient temps were approx 70 degrees on the first day and 80 on day 2. I set my fastest time of the event in the morning session of day 1 which was the coolest track temp we saw.

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
That’s awesome I probably could have gone wider but I actually like the stock PP wheels just bought two more rears to run square 275 for now. It’s mostly a road trip car, I only do a couple events each year.

Speaking of alignment what do you have? Did you need any additional camber/caster adjustment? Do you have bump steer issues?

OP
OP
spiller

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
That’s awesome I probably could have gone wider but I actually like the stock PP wheels just bought two more rears to run square 275 for now. It’s mostly a road trip car, I only do a couple events each year.

Speaking of alignment what do you have? Did you need any additional camber/caster adjustment? Do you have bump steer issues?
Yeah I might buy another two rear PP wheels so I can run a second set of wheels for the track with R compound if I feel the need to. NT01 comes in 19 inch which isnt a bad track tire for the money.

I have steeda camber plates for the front. Rear is all stock except for FRPP toe link to knuckle bearing. As mentioned, I am also running FRPP track suspension (with BMR SP083). Alignment on the weekend was:

FRONT Camber: -2.5
FRONT Toe: out, unsure of the exact number for this

REAR Camber: -2
REAR Toe: 1.5mm in each side

The front was perfect. I would say the rear was slightly too much camber given the tire and the layout having lots of slow corners with acceleration zones. I'd like to be able to get on the power a little earlier than I was able to. Next time I will try 1.7 or 1.8. No bump steer that I noticed.
Sponsored