Sponsored

2018 Mustang GT PP - slowing down

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
Back in June, I upgraded from a 2017 Mustang GT, to a 2018 Mustang GT PP.

When I first started driving the 2018, I felt when slowing down (or speeding up), it was almost as if the car was 'jumping' down/up gears, thus it was not as smooth as I felt it should be. Alas, this may have been because I was coming from a 2017 Mustang, non-10 gear car.

Now, after driving it for a few weeks, I feel the same. So, the question for others, do you feel when slowing down, or speeding up, it is as if the gears jump, or miss a gear?

Maybe this is simply how the 10 speed works. But, I feel the transition in gears on the 2017 was much better.

PS: both year cars are automatic
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ah, but not for other modes. I need to pay attention to that.
Albeit, with Atlanta traffic, I rarely switch modes.

Thanks! Glad to know I am not totally losing my mind.

EDIT:
Oops, seems the person who posted about Normal mode, deleted their post.

Chainsaw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic Gray A10, 401A, PP1.
Ah, but not for other modes. I need to pay attention to that.
Albeit, with Atlanta traffic, I rarely switch modes.

Thanks! Glad to know I am not totally losing my mind.

EDIT:
Oops, seems the person who posted about Normal mode, deleted their post.
Sorry, but I re-read the op and I was a little confused with the PS comment. Both cars are manual?

The automatic 10 speed jumps gears in normal mode for fuel economy.

OP
OP
ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, both are automatic. Post updated.

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
My 3.55 gear A10 is jumpy like you say. I feel every other auto car I drive so much smoother. My buddies 3.15 A10 drives smoother than mine I guess since it has to shift less.

I also feel like the tranny downshifts too slow almost like its piling up all the downshifts towards the very end as your coming to a stop then it kind of pushes the car forward. All other autos I feel are seemless, like if itā€™s in neutral after you let off the gas and come to a stop.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Seriously your explanation is STOP ON!
I could not have explained it much better (well, I didnā€™t - LOL).

I suppose this is ā€˜standardā€™, because they expect us to drive it in another mode?

My 3.55 gear A10 is jumpy like you say. I feel every other auto car I drive so much smoother. My buddies 3.15 A10 drives smoother than mine I guess since it has to shift less.

I also feel like the tranny downshifts too slow almost like its piling up all the downshifts towards the very end as your coming to a stop then it kind of pushes the car forward. All other autos I feel are seemless, like if itā€™s in neutral after you let off the gas and come to a stop.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
There are many threads about how the 10 speed is designed to work and how that translates to daily driving.

1) By design it skips gears per Ford since under a lot of driving conditions there is no reason to use them all.

2) If you don't want to "feel" the down or up shifting in normal driving the best solution is have the shifter in D and use normal drive mode. If you pay close attention you can feel some of the up and down shifts but they usually are no more noticeable than in the previous 6 speed automatic in the 2012 GT I owned or in the 4 speed automatic in our 97 GT.

OP
OP
ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There are many threads about how the 10 speed is designed to work and how that translates to daily driving.

1) By design it skips gears per Ford since under a lot of driving conditions there is no reason to use them all.

2) If you don't want to "feel" the down or up shifting in normal driving the best solution is have the shifter in D and use normal drive mode. If you pay close attention you can feel some of the up and down shifts but they usually are no more noticeable than in the previous 6 speed automatic in the 2012 GT I owned or in the 4 speed automatic in our 97 GT.
Thanks for the response. A little confused with number 2, considering I am already using D and Normal driving mode.

Alas, I will perform further searches on the forum for said thread(s). Even more so now since I have a better understanding and definition.

redtrack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 10AT
the 10AT under normal driving goes 1 3 5 7....
on sport "S". goes 1 2 3 4 5 ...but is a little too sport for normal driving doing downshifts....
Lund tune, modifies the shift schedule to 1 2 3 4 5..., on "D", without the sport downshifts...
Unless you have the digital dash, which shows the gear, is difficult to notice the 1 3 5....

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
It will do sequential gears in D as well if you are taking it easy. Under moderate normal driving it does skip.

Sponsored

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
Its kinda funny but the more I drive mine, (8k miles so far) the more I realize that this automatic requires learning how to drive it depending on what you want at the moment. This automatic isn't as automatic as I thought it would be. LOL! Not only using D or S but also how you apply the throttle at what load and speed to get it to shift how you want it to. I have only had manual sports cars previous to the A10 so I had imagined the auto to be less involved (boring). Adding in how the different levels of traction control/advance trac affect the driving experience, there are actually a lot of choices and variables to getting the auto to do what you want it to precisely. Its not hard to drive as a daily and it goes like hell when you mash the pedal for sure, but sport driving the way you can with a manual is not the same as well.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
On light throttle my 3.55 a10 feels pretty smooth. It is when braking more aggressive and coming to a stop the car wants to rev match occasionally from 2-1. That causes a slight surge even in D. Bottom line, I do not want cvt smooth in a mustang.

OP
OP
ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
To me, what [MENTION=35448]Zinc03svt[/MENTION] explained is what I notice the most.

OP
OP
ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I dropped the car into Sport mode today, and yeah, it certainly is a different car!
Now, to drive in Sport mode, with no Atlanta traffic. Looking forward to it...
Sponsored