Sponsored

How will GT500 compare to 8 Series BMW?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
So, the 8 Series BMW is going to come out this fall.
Twin turbo V8 powerplant
523 HP
AWD
3.6 seconds 0-60

It should be similar in size and shape to a Mustang - albeit heavier.

How will it compare to the GT500?

https://newatlas.com/2019-bmw-8-series-coupe/55078/
Sponsored

azsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Raptor
Well considering a 460hp 2018 GT A10 can zing off a 3.9 sec 0-60, I'm pretty sure a monster like the 500 will crush a 3.6 0-60 run. The 8 series if going to be woefully under powered if the 500's projected hp is correct (even if you go with the lower projections).

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
So, the 8 Series BMW is going to come out this fall.
Twin turbo V8 powerplant
523 HP
AWD
3.6 seconds 0-60

It should be similar in size and shape to a Mustang - albeit heavier.

How will it compare to the GT500?

https://newatlas.com/2019-bmw-8-series-coupe/55078/

That bmw 0-60 time will be underrated. I bet in testing it’ll be like 3.3-3.4. Performance wise I think they’ll be similar. BMW will be consistently faster accelerating but my guess is the gt500 faster on track. Also just wait for the M8!!

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I was at Le Mans where the 8-Series debuted........I honestly don't see it as a GT500 competitor. More like the S-Class coupes, Bentley Continental and Aston DB11.

Also, it's sooooooo quiet! Even the GT Pro Race car was the quietest thing on the circuit! And, as much as I was cheering on the Ford GTs, the Corvette C7 race car was easily the best sounding car there :)

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'd expect the BMW to be a shade quicker to 60 but will get romped after that in every way.

Sponsored

FlowForm_Wheels

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hrewheels.com
First Name
HRE Wheels
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I was at Le Mans where the 8-Series debuted........I honestly don't see it as a GT500 competitor. More like the S-Class coupes, Bentley Continental and Aston DB11.

Also, it's sooooooo quiet! Even the GT Pro Race car was the quietest thing on the circuit! And, as much as I was cheering on the Ford GTs, the Corvette C7 race car was easily the best sounding car there :)
Would second this as well. The BMW 8-series isn't a competitor of the Mustang, they're marketed to different customers. 8-series will be a $100K+ Luxury GT car, so it's not really in the same segment as the Mustang.

If you really want to do a cross comparison, wait until the M8 comes out so you can compare the performance model vs performance model.

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Agreed on the M8.

I myself don't care about interior quality or luxury, but I was wondering what the typical GT500 shopper thinks. The 8 series interior looks pretty great in the photos at the link I posted.

One thing about acceleration - AWD can be useful when you get over 500 hp. I understand the 8 series isn't built to be a track car, but on the street (real world) the 8 series will probably be quicker on launch than the GT500 with any but the best driver. Maybe Ford will have some electronic trickery to help the driver launch the GT500 optimally.

Any thoughts about turbos versus supercharger? I by far prefer turbos if I had the choice. I realize they muffle the exhaust - and the GT500 will probably sound much better than the 8 series, but that isn't all due to the turbos. It's mostly just BMW choosing to build a quiet vehicle.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Agreed on the M8.

I myself don't care about interior quality or luxury, but I was wondering what the typical GT500 shopper thinks. The 8 series interior looks pretty great in the photos at the link I posted.

One thing about acceleration - AWD can be useful when you get over 500 hp. I understand the 8 series isn't built to be a track car, but on the street (real world) the 8 series will probably be quicker on launch than the GT500 with any but the best driver. Maybe Ford will have some electronic trickery to help the driver launch the GT500 optimally.

Any thoughts about turbos versus supercharger? I by far prefer turbos if I had the choice. I realize they muffle the exhaust - and the GT500 will probably sound much better than the 8 series, but that isn't all due to the turbos. It's mostly just BMW choosing to build a quiet vehicle.
If I remember correctly, Ford was testing twin turbo and ran into cooling issues which brought them back to the supercharger. That's really the only downside to turbo is adequate cooling. So much more headroom to upgrade.

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Question: How will GT500 compare to 8 Series BMW?

Answer: Easy, it won't.
Is it just the brand, or something else you have a closed mind about? I think stoplight drags won't be an easy win for the Ford.

Sponsored

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
Is it just the brand, or something else you have a closed mind about? I think stoplight drags won't be an easy win for the Ford.
I was trying to be funny, but I guess it didn't work out hahaha

In my opinion it will be a hell of a performer, with 127HP less will match the Camaro ZL1 straight line performance (Hellcat as well) and it's great since that's not its main focus (by far).

Being serious, it might happen that the 8 Series would not be "as fast" (in acceleration) than the GT500, but being AWD it could be pretty consistent with its times. Around track, I would like to see the GT500 beating the Bimmer.

FlowForm_Wheels

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hrewheels.com
First Name
HRE Wheels
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I was trying to be funny, but I guess it didn't work out hahaha

In my opinion it will be a hell of a performer, with 127HP less will match the Camaro ZL1 straight line performance (Hellcat as well) and it's great since that's not its main focus (by far).

Being serious, it might happen that the 8 Series would not be "as fast" (in acceleration) than the GT500, but being AWD it could be pretty consistent with its times. Around track, I would like to see the GT500 beating the Bimmer.
My 2014 X5 (50i) currently has the same 0-60 time as a Camaro 1LE bone stock (I love it when I tell Camaro guys this) so I wouldn't discount 0-60 times on the 8 series. I wouldn't discount the 8 series as not being a fast car, though again it's not a performance car, that's not what BMW's goal is much like sometimes we make wheels that aren't light, rather the purpose was to make aesthetically pleasing wheel, where performance isn't the goal or key point we want to hit.

Expect the 8-series to be very fast for a luxury car which I would assume weighs closer to 4000lbs.

I agree, GT500 around the track should likely smash the 8 series, but if both cars have street tires, I may be picking the 8 series here for a 0-60 dash. 1/4 mile I'm not so sure, we'll need to see more details on the GT500 first I would imagine.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
If I remember correctly, Ford was testing twin turbo and ran into cooling issues which brought them back to the supercharger. That's really the only downside to turbo is adequate cooling. So much more headroom to upgrade.
Interesting... I thought cooling was the other way around. In my early understanding of the SC, as heat increase it’s efficiency decreases, where turbos get better and are less prone to soak.

I could be wrong, but I thought packaging was more the issue.

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It seems to me on the streets, obeying the law the BMW will be better than the GT500. Quicker, more comfortable, much more luxurious.

On the track, depending on what the GT500 is built to do - obviously the GT500 will be better when you get into triple digits and it will pull more lateral Gs, out brake the Bimmer, etc.
Sponsored