svt93style

svt93style

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Slow
So I actually have to eat some crow on this topic too. Apparently Ford DID do FI testing on the Voodoo and they did snap some cranks but early in development and they were running it through their entire torture and durability testing and HIGH boost (for a V8 anyway). But the final build of the crank, which I'm sure is stronger than the alpha and beta builds, I honestly think can take way more than these "experts" on the web think. Just because it's 180 journals doesn't mean it isn't durable. Ferrari and McLaren both FI their phlat playn krankz...
Interesting.
I would love the detail on this conversation.
Seems to line up with what I was told.
I had assumed it was in the aftermarket but seems otherwise.
Either way, thanks for the info.
Sponsored

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R
Such stress testing (voodoo w/FI) seems very plausible. Could be just for stress testing the voodoo or a reflection of an initial intent to build both a NA and a FI version (which we are now ever so slowly seeing play out with the 19 500).

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Such stress testing (voodoo w/FI) seems very plausible. Could be just for stress testing the voodoo or a reflection of an initial intent to build both a NA and a FI version (which we are now ever so slowly seeing play out with the 19 500).
To that point, the teaser video of the 500 did sound quite...Voodoo like. :shrug: But since it's just a teaser video, take my pondering and it with a half grain of salt. Recycled content visually or audibly is more than plausible to project something that doesn't even exist yet.

MadCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
If there have been crank failures, my first guess would be the snout or front bearing on supercharged applications. That can happen to any crank and they sale supports just for that.

Sponsored

TonyJ5150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
My crank is still doing fine! Ive ran her plenty in the 850-950HP range on the street and at the 1/2 and 1/4 mile events. Doing some upgrades to the drive shafts, half shafts, headers and turbos and its back on the road this spring!

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
If there have been crank failures, my first guess would be the snout or front bearing on supercharged applications. That can happen to any crank and they sale supports just for that.
The snout was indeed a concern for 5.4/5.8 GT500 owners due to undercut fillets. I have little doubt the same issue could be replicated with a Coyote crank whether cross or flat by subjecting it to extreme stress. This is why fully filleted aftermarket cranks are a great choice when doing an all out build. Sadly, they are also ridiculously expensive.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Last edited:

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
The snout was indeed a concern for 5.4/5.8 GT500 owners due to undercut fillets. I have little doubt the same issue could be replicated with a Coyote crank whether cross or flat by subjecting it to extreme stress. This is why fully filleted aftermarket cranks are a great choice when doing an all out build. Sadly, they are also ridiculously expensive.
All modular motors have no fillet radius on the crank journals or the crank snout area, in regards to a higher possibility of crank failure in a cross plane crank application would be mostly due to a harmonic issue.

Brostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT-350 Oxford & LB
FPC is prone to harsher vibrations than CPC. If by harmonics you meam vibrations, then i doubt thats an issue with coyotes. If anything its most likely due to improper ATI damper installs where the bottom of the damper bore isnt flush against the crank. Or the crank bolt can be torqued improperly.

Sponsored

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
FPC is prone to harsher vibrations than CPC. If by harmonics you meam vibrations, then i doubt thats an issue with coyotes. If anything its most likely due to improper ATI damper installs where the bottom of the damper bore isnt flush against the crank. Or the crank bolt can be torqued improperly.
Sorry I just realized I said cross plane crank when I meant to say flat plat crank that is used in the Voodoo engine, however IMO Ford stated not to put forced induction on the FPC motor period. If the new GT 500 comes out with a FPC and a supercharger then I would say it's safe to do if it comes out with a cross plane crank then there must be an engineering reason for it.

OP
OP
svt93style

svt93style

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Slow
My crank is still doing fine! Ive ran her plenty in the 850-950HP range on the street and at the 1/2 and 1/4 mile events. Doing some upgrades to the drive shafts, half shafts, headers and turbos and its back on the road this spring!
How many miles have you put on the TT setup?

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
... however IMO Ford stated not to put forced induction on the FPC motor period.

In your opinion Ford stated not to use forced induction on the Voodoo? I haven't seen anything to that effect.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
In your opinion Ford stated not to use forced induction on the Voodoo? I haven't seen anything to that effect.
Do some more research.:thumbsup:

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Never seen anything from an actual source other than “i heard” or “my buddy said”

unless pro5.0 really just doesn’t want to share his knowledge, don’t waste your time “researching”
Sponsored