Ford Axing all cars except Mustang and Focus Active Crossover in North America

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Nah. The Camry might be selling well, but Honda messed up the styling of the new Accord. That thing ain't selling for crap.

Ford is getting rid of cars in place of cuv's I guess.
The new Accord isn't selling because everyone is buying Camry instead. Toyota has been loading them up with incentives and Honda isn't willing to do that on a car that's just been launched. So, because a large amount of people will just buy whatever is cheapest, the Camry wins by default, regardless of merit.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Nah. The Camry might be selling well, but Honda messed up the styling of the new Accord. That thing ain't selling for crap.

Ford is getting rid of cars in place of cuv's I guess.
If you look at 2017 North America sales, and remove the top 3 (all pickups), there are 3 sedans in the top 10, all selling comfortably over 300,000 cars per year. Ford needs a better product, not to abandon the segment.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
If you look at 2017 North America sales, and remove the top 3 (all pickups), there are 3 sedans in the top 10, all selling comfortably over 300,000 cars per year. Ford needs a better product, not to abandon the segment.
Yeah the problem with looking at Ford sedan sales is that they're all at the end of their product life so they're naturally going to be lower anyway. Focus is 6 years old, Fiesta and Taurus are 8 years old, Fusion is 5 years old. All the competition is much newer.

markham51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 07 GT500 SS, MKIII Cobra, 68 Shelby GT500 KR Convert
The market has too many players to be all things to all people. Not one automotive manufacturer can afford the massive R&D necessary to invest in a "full vehicle" line up for - fossil fuel - hybrid and fully electric vehicles (all at the same time). Every company that has created an "extensive" product line refreshes its "bread and butter/top sellers" with regularity and lets its slow moving vehicles age on the sideline...and that doesn't even address margin differentials between vehicles lines and classes.

Ford is wise to pick its priorities and stick with them. Decisions of this nature need to be made years in advance and Ford is staking out it's territory and giving notice to the world and it's stakeholders it intends to be around as others lack a strategic plan for the future.

Last edited:

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
There goes my plans of trading the Mustang in for a ‘20 C-Max.

Sponsored

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
To every one up in arms, did you not see the part where the Mustang isn't going anywhere? Why do you all care about their sedans and hatchbacks?
I am glad the Mustang is staying.

I want Ford to succeed in the long run. I personally think this is a horrible miscalculation. I could see trimming the lineup, but to ax all of the cars besides the Mustang and the Focus Active I think is a big mistake. I think they should have at least kept the Fusion. Kill the fiesta and Taurus but to just abandon the sedan market seems like a bad move to me.

itguy08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, 2010 Taurus SHO, 2011 F150
The Ecosport is an underperformer in every way. All of it's crossover competition gets better fuel economy on the highway.
Chevy Trax 25/33
Mazda CX-3 29/35
Honda HRV 28/34
Toyota C-HR 27/31
Subaru Crosstrek 28/33
Nissan Rogue Sport 25/32
The wife had one for a few days as a loaner and she liked it except for the fuel economy. She said her Escape (2.0/AWD) got better gas mileage!

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
As a Former Employee of Ford, I can tell you that the 4 door sedan market is Ford’s black eye. They cannot compete with price and quality of overseas manufactures. Fusions, Taurus focus and fiesta have catastrophic drops in resale value. I think it’s a smart move for ford. American car companies can’t compete with Asian and Euro 4 door markets.

itguy08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, 2010 Taurus SHO, 2011 F150
The new Accord isn't selling because everyone is buying Camry instead. Toyota has been loading them up with incentives and Honda isn't willing to do that on a car that's just been launched. So, because a large amount of people will just buy whatever is cheapest, the Camry wins by default, regardless of merit.
Camry isn't selling that well either - it's only doing as well as it is due to huge incentives.

The sedan market is dying:
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2018/0...s-dying-here-are-three-key-evidence-exhibits/

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe it's just me...

But they aren't squashing all these car lines completely - just killing their sales in North America. I wonder if they will use this reasoning to move production of these export only models to say Mexico or somewhere else where labor costs are much cheaper. Then if their reasoning / sales shift - they'll simply 'import' these to North America.
Simply import these to north America just ain't that simple. It took Ford 5 plus years to bring Fiesta to the US and 10 years to bring the Ecosport here. When it comes to making the decision to bring a car to the US Ford's management takes way to long to get it done often making Ford look like a me too company.

Sponsored

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Since Ford is keeping the Mustang as one of two cars it should warrant a completely dedicated platform now.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
As a Former Employee of Ford, I can tell you that the 4 door sedan market is Ford’s black eye. They cannot compete with price and quality of overseas manufactures. Fusions, Taurus focus and fiesta have catastrophic drops in resale value. I think it’s a smart move for ford. American car companies can’t compete with Asian and Euro 4 door markets.

Tariffs on all import name plates

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Since Ford is keeping the Mustang as one of two cars it should new get a completely dedicated platform.
Not at all, us enthusiasts think it should get one but this just points towards either the Mustang a.) sharing the upcoming Explorer platform or b.) continuing on the current chassis making modifications when/if possible.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Gotta be late April fools joke

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
It's amusing to read all the automobile industry "experts" chiming in here about what a horrible strategic error Ford is making.
Sponsored