PP2 real life pictures

gbgreen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Manual V6 Mustang Coupe
Yes, the MPS4's are the overall better performing tire. Tirerack has tested the Bridgestones quite a bit also. The Continentals generally seem to get a little better wet traction scores than the Bridgestones, but I believe if you read all of the details with those tests, the Bridgestones and Continentals are pretty even otherwise. I chose the Bridgestones based on another forum member's recommendation and the fact that more sizes were available with the
Bridgestones.

If you really contemplate going any smaller on tire size, as someone previously mentioned, you might be better off going PP1 with Magneride and then going an aftermarket wheel setup like a 9" upfront and 10" in the back with a 255/285 staggered setup. This square setup with the 305's is freaking awesome though.
I was going off of this comparison test, which had only the Michelin, Pirelli, and Continental. I'll look for it on TireRack.com, but I'd appreciate it if you could supply me with the test which included the Bridgestones.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=223
No, don't want smaller tires; just thought they'd help with the rock attacks. Just want the PPL2 outfitted the best way for a combination of performance (on the twisties; not the track), longevity (including the paint job:)), and value.
Thanks again.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I was going off of this comparison test, which had only the Michelin, Pirelli, and Continental. I'll look for it on TireRack.com, but I'd appreciate it if you could supply me with the test which included the Bridgestones.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=223
No, don't want smaller tires; just thought they'd help with the rock attacks. Just want the PPL2 outfitted the best way for a combination of performance (on the twisties; not the track), longevity (including the paint job:)), and value.
Thanks again.
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...estone_Potenza+S-04+Pole+Position&perfType=MP

Lightning Struck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Kona Blue PP2
Do you guys think there would be interference issues with a 305/35? I'd like to fill the wheel well a bit more, but lowering the car doesn't seem like a viable alternative, since the front splitter is already almost dragging while entering my driveway.

gbgreen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerry
Vehicle(s)

gbgreen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerry
Vehicle(s)
Do you guys think there would be interference issues with a 305/35? I'd like to fill the wheel well a bit more, but lowering the car doesn't seem like a viable alternative, since the front splitter is already almost dragging while entering my driveway.
Oh, yeah: I forgot to mention in my original post. Another side benefit of the 285/35-19s is that because it is 0.65" (just over 5/8") larger in diameter, it will fill out more of the wheel wells.

Infidex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT w/ Tremor Package (PP2)
I don't see any issue with it and believe it would fit. Shop around, the tire options in that size are almost not existent, I didn't find a whole lot of options as I considered going that route early on but didn't. If you go a little wider or slimmer, you'll find some options that are a bit taller.

Infidex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT w/ Tremor Package (PP2)
Thanks for the advice.
Yeah, it's a little stretched, and I thought of that. It will likely affect the spring rate of the tire (somewhat), and therefore affect the overall spring rate at each end. The question is will the difference in spring rate between the front and rear of the 285s be similar to the difference in spring rates of the 305s (which have a narrower rim width rage of 10.5-11.5"). But to get accurate data for this we would need MATLAB and Pacejka tire modelling data.:eyebulge: Stretching the tire also reduces the "spring length" of the tire, so it can't absorb impact as well as if it were mounted on a 10" rim (right in the middle of the rim width range). But since the aspect ratio of the 285 is higher, it has a greater "spring length" to start with, so there likely is little difference in "spring length" between the OEM 305/30s and the 285/35s.

I didn't want to go with the 295/30-19s because it would lower the ride height, and I didn't want to add to the risk of damaging the splitter.
Oh, speaking of that: yes, the diameter of the 285/35 is 0.6" greater, but it is the change in radius of the tire (which is directly proportional to the sidewall height) which will determine the change in ride height, because it is the measurement from the centerline of the spindle (or axle) to the edge of the tire that determines ride height.

The lowest price I could find for the 285/35-19 Continentals was $242 (TireBuyer.com and WalMart). The lowest for 305/30-19 Continentals was $278 (WalMart).

Yeah, I have a lot to consider, which is why I wanted to get as much real world experience/info from folks like 6g members.

Thanks again.
I have had the Bridgestones for nearly 2k miles, 305/30 size, love the tires, they stick well, handle well, do great in pouring down rain, and grab really well. They do not sling rocks like the SC2. I wanted to go skinnier on the front to at least get the tire flush to the fender, but I've really liked the square set up and have not regretted keeping it that way.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'm hopefully getting close to ordering a 2019 Performance Package Level 2 (301A).

I want to have the dealer remove the OEM Michelins and replace them with Continental ExtremeContact Sport tires sized 285/35-ZR19.

The Rim Width Range for these tires is 9"-11". The front rims on the Performance Package Level 2 are 10.5" wide and the rear rims are 11". The sidewalls of the 285/35 Continentals are only 8.25mm (0.3") taller than the OEM size tires.

Even though the rears don't have as much of a problem as the fronts, I want to put 285s on the rear as well to maintain the balance of the car. So this is where the 285s are stretched to their limits
285/35's on 11" wide wheels is not nearly the problem that running all the way out to "max recommended" might sound. In fact, my "track set" is specifically that (in 18" rather than your 19", which is irrelevant). Being stretched to the recommended max tends to stiffen the tire laterally and vertically, which tends to compensate for the additional sidewall height. Personally, I'd much rather fit tires to wheels wider than "measuring" than "measuring" even for street-only driving.

Tire to wheel will look like this ↓↓↓
picture.jpg

I have also heard that Ford may have some sort of policy prohibiting dealers from mounting "smaller" tires (I couldn't get a definition of exactly what "smaller" meant). This doesn't make sense to me. And I remember that someone (The Silver Bullet?) had plans with his dealer to put something like a 295/30-19 on (which didn't happen because those tires weren't available when his PPL2 arrived early). If anyone has a definitive answer on this issue, it would help much.
I'm sure this has to do with load index, and this can get more complicated than the dealer is willing to get into as far as guaranteeing that the new load index and its new inflation pressure requirement at least match the OE load rating.

My "track set" has 5000 or so street miles and quite a few track days on them. You'll be fine, just be careful about getting very close to curbs because the 285 tires offer even less scuff protection.

FWIW, I'd suggest at least considering Michelins in either PSS or PS4S, based on the breakaway characteristics probably being more similar to the PSC2's than the Contis are likely to be.

Norm

OP
OP
Prokiller

Prokiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT & 2018 Mustang GT PP2
drove about 200 miles now in this PP2 and i gotta say, HOLY CRAP is thing amazing. you point it in a direction and it just goes there. haven't pushed it incredibly hard, but took it to a deserted industrial building parking lot and threw it around a good bit. it just ate it. so happy with the PP2. drove it to work today and it was just as comfortable if not smoother than my 08 infiniti g35 sedan.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
drove about 200 miles now in this PP2 and i gotta say, HOLY CRAP is thing amazing. you point it in a direction and it just goes there.
At least part of that is coming from the "stretched" tire fitment.

Norm

fstenuf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2
Speaking of tires. How do the stock tires do in the rain? I'm going to Road American next month and it's about a 6 hour trip to get there.

azelmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP2 RC, 18 BMW 430i, 2022 C8 Z51 (on order)
Speaking of tires. How do the stock tires do in the rain? I'm going to Road American next month and it's about a 6 hour trip to get there.
DO NOT drive in the rain with Cup 2's, very unsafe.

JD_GTPP2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro, 2SS/1LE

I have driven in light rain, but was still very nervous. I would not take off on a long road trip unless i was confident there would not be any rain.

Lightning Struck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Kona Blue PP2
I got caught in the little rain squal Saturday between Davenport and Iowa City, and ended up pulling off into a rest area. Expansion joints in the rain were nerve racking

fstenuf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2
Well this sucks. Either the car will stay home or I'll get new tires.